Almond Milk?

Options
I'm lactose intolerant, so I drink a VERY limited amount of milk. But I keep hearing about almond milk, so I was looking for opinions on it. While I don't eat a lot of cereal, or milk related items (because of the lactose problem), I do like the occasional bowl of it. What can it be used for? What "flavors" are there and how do you use it?

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    You use it just like regular milk. You have it in Original (no flavor), Vanilla and Chocolate. Not sure if there is a strawberry one out there.
  • jackherm
    jackherm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the dark chocolate almond milk..Im not a milk drinker, only with cereal but I will drink a glass of almond milk. I like all the flavors.:smile:
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've done the low cal chocolate, and it's okay when mixed with something elde but I don't care for it in a glass by itself.

There are also some good tasting soy milk products as well.
  • JaneSagan
    Options
    I like to drink a glass of milk now and then, and I noticed at the grocery store the other day that the almond milk has even fewer calories than the skim milk (60 calories per cup vs. 90 calories per cup) so I decided to try it. I went with Almond Breeze Original (Blue Diamond Growers) and it was delicious! It had a faintly sweet, nutty flavour, but it satisfied the milk craving just fine. I definitely recommend it!
  • dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One of my indulgences is hot chocolate. I love the unsweetened almond milk with an envelope of Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. It's a delicious, rich, creamy treat at only 160 calories total.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like the dark chocolate almond as a treat. For cereal I like to use vanilla unsweetened almond milk.
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get the unsweetened vanilla for my shakes and for cereal or just to drink. 40 calories a cup, you can't beat it!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to milk. I drink Silk Lite Soy Vanilla. Not a fan of Almond Milk. I just don't like the taste. But the Vanilla Soy . . . OMG It's awesome.
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I loveeee almond milk!!! I don't like anything soy and the rice milk it's that bad either.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    non-dairy milks tend to be on te sweet side, but i've grown accustomed to them. try to find an Original flavored almond milk, they tend to be a little more neutral with fewer calories than Vanilla or Chocolate almond milk.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Love it.

Silk has a lot of varieties, like you can get the completely unsweetened, the regular (slightly sweetened), and vanilla, which is pretty sweet. I think they also have a chocolate flavor.

I don't even drink cow's milk anymore, and I don't miss it.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've never liked moo juice on its own, only in coffee/tea and cereal. Plain unsweetened almond milk can take a little getting used to in coffee but I prefer it now. And in cereal it's perfect. The vanilla unsweetened is good too. Never tried any of the sweetened kinds myself.
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I use the vanilla flavor. it tastes good with cereal. Don't like it too much with oatmeal.
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    I've been using it in smoothies and it's just like milk. I use the unsweetened regular stuff so I can add my own flavors to the smoothies without the almond milk taking over the taste.
  • Eranajb
    Eranajb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We've only just got almond milk in New Zealand, so there is only one flavour. I prefer it to soy and rice milk. But I don't drink it by the glass, only in my oatmeal, cereal and shakes. I have learned to avoid dairy - allergies and drink my coffee black.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    I tried this recently and it is delicious! So creamy! I actually made my own last week.....a cup of almonds, soaked overnight, blend them up with 3 x cups of water (if you want to flavour your milk you can add vanilla extract or whatever)....then strain using muslin or something similar, and hey presto, fresh almond milk.
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    Almond Breeze Vanilla is so good. The original is really good too but I like the extra sweetness. I use it just like milk.
  • bestshiratakinoodles
    Options
    Almond is good for health..you should take regular twice in a day with no added flavors !!
  • maurap26
    maurap26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I really like the almond milk in coffee, smoothies, cereal or even in baking & cooking - just not in the glass
    Vanilla is my fav.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it in cereal and in my smoothies.

I use Silk unsweetened original.