CALORIES

Options
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO WORK OUT HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN FOOD?

Replies

• jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Check the nutritional labels

for every gram of Protein = 4 Cals
    for every gram of Carbs = 4 Cals (Technically it's slightly less but most sites go with 4)
    for every gram of Fat = 9 Cals
  • ssonia29
    ssonia29 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

The best way is to mostly google or buy food items with nutritional value on it which will help you to come closer to the information , I am not really sure how Accurate they are but i go with it and try to keep my calories intake to the suggested Clories by MFP . some of the website i use are

www.calorieking.com
    www.thecaloriecounter.com

you can also use the food serch window of MFP ,

i usually donot eat my exercise calories and try an burn mostly what i eat

Hope the info will help you

Sonia
  • jcmk87
    Options

Ignore this advice completely and eat back your exercise cals, you should never have too much of a deficit...
  • ssonia29
    Options

Ignore this advice completely and eat back your exercise cals, you should never have too much of a deficit...

is this wrong ..............shd i eat those calories ?????
    my trainer advised me to eat lower cals to loose weight , i am so confuse with all the advise going on . can someone help
  • ssonia29
    Options
    can you please advise Wake_Field???
  • rockyluv88
    Options
    Everyone is different.... I am eating to loose about 1% or about 2 lbs a week... I won't go under 1200 cals ( which the doctor said was fine cals/day) and a 1000 cal deficit would set me below 1200 so I don't eat all my excersise cals back to make a 1000 cal deficit. There is no one size fits all in weight loss. If you really are afraid you are doing something wrong I woul just talk to your doctor about it. When I asked my dic if 1200 cals were okay because everyone gets on their soapbox about how bad 1200 cals is for you blah blah blah, she asked if I feel good I said yes and she said then your doing fine just get protein and fruits and veggies....
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    Well this is a site i used to setup my workout routine. So far i have lost and toned up using it. I even have about 4 coworkers using it.

http://www.freetrainers.com/
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanls everyone for your help :) ive tried looking up food on here but im in Australia and America doesnt have things that we do :$

ive been wrting down the nutritional stuff but some of the foods dont say Caleries, just fats KJ ect :)
  • littlemiss5foot1
    Options
    Well this is a site i used to setup my workout routine. So far i have lost and toned up using it. I even have about 4 coworkers using it.

http://www.freetrainers.com/

thankyou :) i shall have a look tonigth after work :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    i can only speak for myself but i've lost more weight eating back my exercise calories than not working out at all. and the times i havent eaten back exercise cals, i ended up gaining weight since my body thought it was starving and holding on to what it could.

but yeah to echo what others have said.... before this site existed and even in college when i didn't have access to nutrition labels, i just googled nutritional information and looked it up on calorie count websites...lost 30lbs. After doing it for a few months, you'll catch on.
  • ssonia29
    Options
    Hi Rockyluv88,

Thanks A Lot , this is great

I do feel really good, i eat btw 1200-1300 cal/day and burn 1000 approx and most of my meals are with lots of fruit and veggi . i avoid taking Protein powder as my trainer advise me not to take it and loose weight naturally .

i am toning up faster then loosing weight , I am loosing about 2kg per month in a healthy way .If you have any advises please share with us and i would like to add you to my frd list so you can see my food intake list too .

Thanks,
    Sonia
  • ssonia29
    Options
    you can convert KJ to cal using Google dear
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Calories = kilojoules / 4.184
  • littlemiss5foot1
    Options

so i divide the 4.184 into the kilojoules?? so 824kg would be 196 point somthing caleries??

:)
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options

so i divide the 4.184 into the kilojoules?? so 824kg would be 196 point somthing caleries??

:)

Yes. Here's a link to a calculator that will do the math for you, for future reference: http://www.positivehealthsteps.com/calorieskilojules-converter.shtml

But you can really Google "Kilojoules to Calories Calculator" and come up with the same, in case you ever forget or lose this link.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Ignore any advice that tells you, you have to do something.
  • jcmk87
    Options
    You should always eat back your exercise cals, if you gain weight then obviously your BMR was calculated incorrectly. Therefore eat back your exercise cals and keep an eye on your weight, if you are not losing after the third week then slightly decrease cals and repeat. You should do this until you start losing at a healthy rate of 1 or 2 lbs a week.
  • jcmk87
    Options

Ignore any advice that tells you, you have to do something.

Good for you, but for those that actually want help and guidance is more than welcome to use the forum for what it is intended for.
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    I'm from Australia too :) Just divide kj by 4.2 on your phone or something - it's a pretty easy conversion. A lot of Australian foods are listed in the MFP database already anyway though, you just need to search them.
  • littlemiss5foot1
    Options
    so the caleries today so i need to eat the caleries again??.. that is impossible i will actually vomit.
    i eat all day not even kidding i eat meals and proteinshakes and munch out on carrot sticks and stuff view my diary if u wanna to get an idea but if i eat anymore than i am i will make myself vomit not intentianally of course but coz im so full :(