alternative to protein shakes

Options
midnightsurfer
midnightsurfer Posts: 28 Member
Recently these have started making me feel really sick and bloated, but with the amount i am weight lifting i need to boost my protein intake a lot. i would appreciate some suggestions of high protein foods that are low in carbs and fat, that could replace the shakes.

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand of shake? Some have thickeners which can cause stomach problems in some people.

Other than that, lean meat, fish, fat free greek yogurt, low fat/ fat free cheese, tofu etc.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just recently cut out protein shakes altogether...they were making me super sick and bloated all the time!! I also decreased my protein setting from 40% to 30%...it's just more realistic for me and the amount of training I do. I figure I used to only eat a few g of protein a day so my 30% is definitely better than that!!

I still sneak protein powder into my baking (muffins, chewy homemade protein bars, etc) but most of my protein now comes from chicken, some beef, turkey meatloaf muffins (that I premake in bulk every Sunday) and eggs!!! U could try nuts and beans as well!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    chicken, tilapia and tuna (chunk light in water).

I eat these all with very little to adjust the taste... and 25g of protein isn't that much volume... unlike a protein shake.
  • shollet
    shollet Posts: 12
    Options
    Shakes used to make me wanna throw, as someone said previously i think its mostly down to the thickeners. However i tried Rego Recovery which is so much easier on the gut - I swear by it.

Failing that, boil 6 eggs and kepe them in the fridge and throw a couple in your bag when you're off to the gym.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, or if you really must avoid the fat (although I don't) egg whites.

Other decent sources:

Meat (especially Chicken breast)
    Fish (as Snookums said)
    Cottage cheese
  • AnteroFaria
    AnteroFaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Post workout if your going to decide not to take in a shake you need something that is quick absorbing like

Egg Whites
    White Fish (Talapia)

But if your looking for typical protein substitutes that are somewhat healthy for you basically any kind of lean meat excluding pork and meats with high sodium content.

Personally I add beans (black or kidney) to most meals to up my protein intake.

But with all the diff kinds of brands and types of protein shakes out there I am sure if you did some trial and error you might find one that works for you.