Adding protein to baked goods????

Options
I was wondering if you could add Whey protein powder in addition, or instead of, some flour in zucchini/banana bread, pound cake, pancakes etc to boost the protein in breads? I want to keep a good balance with protein and carbs, and it seems like a good idea, but I am scared to try it out. So doea anyone have any suggesstions, or has anyone done that before?? Or do I just have to put low fat PB on everything, lol

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,715 Member
    Options
    You could try it, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work. I don't think things would rise with protein powder instead of flour, and then the texture would be all weird. Then there's the matter of the difference in taste. If you do try it, let us know how it turned out!

Jill
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    add some nuts!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Google is everyone's friend.

I haven't tried it myself, but what I I read.
    Use a better quality protein powder.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5101657_bake-protein-powder.html
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    You could try doing a recipe search on a site like Cooks.com and see if there is anything there.

I just did a quick one and found this:

1 c. vanilla protein powder
    1/4 c. nonfat dry milk
    3 tbsp. diet sweetener
    1 c. unprocessed bran
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    1 tbsp. baking soda
    1 tbsp. lemon peel
    1 pkg. diet lemon drink

Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl. In a separate bowl mix together: 1 tbsp. vanilla 1 tbsp. butter flavoring. Beat until fluffy. Fold in. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.

I have no idea how that would turn out though! I don't bake. You'll probably just have to experiment. (Do you have any dogs? They tend to love failed bakery attempts. :tongue: ) I hope you find what you're looking for. :flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    thanks for asking this!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've done it by mixing a scoop of protein powder in with whatever liquid I'm adding. So far, I haven't had any disasters. . .:flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Just be careful of your cholesterol intake with the protein. It has a lot and people don't realize it.