Eating the same foods

Options
So can eating the same food all the time hinder your weight loss?

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It hasn't really stopped me. I don't have too much variety in my daily food intake.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that....unless, of course, the same foods someone is eating are not healthy and a good balance of nutrients. I eat a lot of the same things on a daily basis, and it has not hindered my weight loss.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I do not see how it would hinder.
    If you eat the same thing everyday but you know the calorie count and nutritional values are good, then I think it would be ok to automate one or two meals a day.
    I have two or three breakfast options, then one go to salad for lunch.
    My snack choices are five or six options and my dinner is flexible...

I tend to automate my mornings and lunch so I do not go off track, and then I know at end of day after exercise, walking etc what I left for dinner (Chef Hubby cooks it, so for me it is usually portion control)....
    I think the less I have to think about the FUEL I am putting in body, the less likely I am to go off track!!

It comes down to calories in and calories burned...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you are getting a wide variety in, and they involve all healthy food-related choices it isnt going to hurt.... but then again, each person is different
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm a real creature of habit and i do often find myself eating the same foods at the same time every day. Sometimes my diary will look pretty much the same meal-for-meal for days and days on end. I don't know if it hinders weight loss though. I'd say only really if the same food you're eating is unhealthy...
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch & morning snack every day during the week. So far, so good. I would think it they are healthy choices that it shouldln't be a problem.
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i've never seen anything that says so . . . but i will admit that i've wondered the same exact thing because i seem to eat the same thing most days - it's very rare that i have to figure something new out on here. boring, but steady - and i stay under my calorie goal and like what i'm eating, so that's what matters, right?

i have been thinking about trying to 'shake things up' a bit with some smoothie recipes and some new veggie recipes - just for some variety.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My husband truly lives on peanut butter and jelly. And, he is losing weight. He also works out a lot.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Actually eating the same things supposedly help with weight loss, as it keeps you from straying too far from the path =P
    When people face variety they tend to eat more.
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Actually I've been eating the same food and losing weight consistently. Granted of course that I found healthier options and made a habit of it.
    I've done so in the past and been able to drop 10 kg without effort? :)
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it hinders weight loss in the sense that the foods make a difference, but from my own experience I sometimes get really sick of eating the same things over and over, which has caused me to fall off the wagon once or twice. For example, I was eating weight watchers meals with salad every night for dinner which was working great, until I got so so bored with the same meals all the time, I ended up eating unhealthily again and put some weight back on. So, I guess if you have the motivation then it's fine, but if you find it hard to stay on track like me, then I'd vary your foods a lot more :)
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    It doesn't seem to for me. I pretty much eat the same breakfast and lunch everyday. I like it, it's easy, it's healthy and I know the calorie counts. I vary my dinners to get the variety in both taste and nutrition.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No..it just means you're boring. LOL
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I hope not, for the mostpart my diary is the same every week day. Weekends are usually differnt from weekdays but the same every weekend! lol.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Actually eating the same things supposedly help with weight loss, as it keeps you from straying too far from the path =P
    When people face variety they tend to eat more.

...so true, i eat the same thing, it doesnt get boring because im starving when time comes round to eat it. lol. if i had more variety i would slip up, but everyones different.x
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I tend eat the same thing for lunch for a week or two at a time. I can't really see how it can hinder weight loss unless it was a tonne of junk food each day.
    But I would be worried about having limited nutrients and getting so tired and bored of the food that I would binge on something different.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. Even if it did, it wouldn't stop me eating different meals every day. God, imagine a life of the same foods all the time? No thanks.
  • Blaireli
    Blaireli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same thing for breakfast every week day (Starbucks oatmeal made with nonfat milk with the brown sugar and nut topping). I've lost 22 lbs since February 21st, so it hasn't bothered me! :)
  • joannealice
    Options
    The only problem with eating the same things all the time is it becomes boring and may not "satisfy" you like it first did.
    Its always worth mixing it up.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same things...like oatmeal, for example. I love eating for breakfast 90% of the time. I just try to ensure that everything I eat meets up to my calorie goal at the end of the day :)