CALORIES

Options
2»

Replies

• ssonia29
    ssonia29 Posts: 30
    Options
    i usually donot eat my exercise calories and try an burn mostly what i eat

Ignore this advice completely and eat back your exercise cals, you should never have too much of a deficit...
    Ignore any advice that tells you, you have to do something.

Good for you, but for those that actually want help and guidance is more than welcome to use the forum for what it is intended for.

Actually i am toning then loosing weight , i lost about 4 KG in 4 months however i have lost more in inches. does this works too ?
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    so the caleries today so i need to eat the caleries again??.. that is impossible i will actually vomit.
    i eat all day not even kidding i eat meals and proteinshakes and munch out on carrot sticks and stuff view my diary if u wanna to get an idea but if i eat anymore than i am i will make myself vomit not intentianally of course but coz im so full :(

Eat more calorie dense food such as nuts and peanut butter.
  • jcmk87
    Options

Ignore this advice completely and eat back your exercise cals, you should never have too much of a deficit...
    Ignore any advice that tells you, you have to do something.

Good for you, but for those that actually want help and guidance is more than welcome to use the forum for what it is intended for.

Actually i am toning then loosing weight , i lost about 4 KG in 4 months however i have lost more in inches. does this works too ?

Technically the word toning is just another word for losing bodyfat. I commend you on a great loss however I can't say if it is working as you stated previously that you don't eat back your exercise cals. If you typically have an average deficit of 700 cals a day then yes you are on the right track, but if you are going above 1000 cals then you are losing muscle mass which is going to nib you in the butt in the long run.

You want to save as much muscle as possible as it aids in burning cals and makes it easier to keep the weight off. If your deficit is big then yes you will start of losing a lot of weight but will stall at some point as you have burned up your muscle for energy.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    You don't need to double up your calories necessarily -- what you generally want to try to do is "NET" 1200 calories (1200 calories is generally the lowest recommended intake, and many people need/eat more).

So let's pretend you ate 1200 calories today, but burned off 200 calories with exercise. 1200-200 = 1000 "NET" calories. You would then try to eat an additional 200 calories to reach your NET goal of 1200. You can view your NET calories on your "My Home" page.

If you visit your Goals section on MFP ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals ), choose "guided" and they will recommend a calorie goal for you. Try to eat that many calories. Since you're not familiar with calories, it may take some extra time/preparation for you to figure out how/what to eat, but it will get quicker and easier once you get the hang of it.

When you burn calories from exercise, you get those as "bonus" calories, and you are generally recommended to eat those as well, at least so that you NET ~1200 calories.

If you are having trouble reaching that many calories, try eating more caloric dense foods throughout the day. Oils, nuts, nut butters, and (I believe) avocados -- spring to mind.
  • jcmk87
    Options
    Since the recommended protein intake on MFP is so low, you should take extra care when going in such large deficits.
  • ssonia29
    ssonia29 Posts: 30
    Options
    You don't need to double up your calories necessarily -- what you generally want to try to do is "NET" 1200 calories (1200 calories is generally the lowest recommended intake, and many people need/eat more).

So let's pretend you ate 1200 calories today, but burned off 200 calories with exercise. 1200-200 = 1000 "NET" calories. You would then try to eat an additional 200 calories to reach your NET goal of 1200. You can view your NET calories on your "My Home" page.

If you visit your Goals section on MFP ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals ), choose "guided" and they will recommend a calorie goal for you. Try to eat that many calories. Since you're not familiar with calories, it may take some extra time/preparation for you to figure out how/what to eat, but it will get quicker and easier once you get the hang of it.

When you burn calories from exercise, you get those as "bonus" calories, and you are generally recommended to eat those as well, at least so that you NET ~1200 calories.

If you are having trouble reaching that many calories, try eating more caloric dense foods throughout the day. Oils, nuts, nut butters, and (I believe) avocados -- spring to mind.

wow that way now i get it . let me calculate and update

but i usually do exercise after work and i dont want to intake cal in dinner cos i have to sleep within hour after dinner ? that is one more issue
  • jcmk87
    Options

Well explained and to add, those "Bonus" cals Ttopeka is referring to is keep a constant deficit of 500 cals throughout the week.

The deficit is already taken into account so you should not be creating a bigger deficit by eating less or not eating your exercise cals.
  • xabcx
    xabcx Posts: 7
    Options
    you can find calories for virtually any food here: www.watchmycalories.com

(it has a simple interface)

if your question is, "how are food calories calculated?" the simple answer is:

the food in question is basically burned and the heat that it gives off is measured. that in turn gives the amount of energy in that food which translates directly to calories. it is not a simple procedure and must be done very carefully using proper procedures.
  • Tmsmith007
    Options
    Recently bought a food scale that displays nutritional value just like food packaging, which is great for ease of use in measuring raw fish, mets, salads...ect. Found mine at BBB
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

No.... what works for one person might not work for the next person - the OP should determine on her own if eating any of the exercise calories would be beneficial...

I dont eat them back and Im still maintaining my minimum caloric intake and still losing weight
  • jcmk87
    Options

No.... what works for one person might not work for the next person - the OP should determine on her own if eating any of the exercise calories would be beneficial...

I dont eat them back and Im still maintaining my minimum caloric intake and still losing weight

Yes you are losing WEIGHT which includes muscle...Good luck with your catabolic goals for 2012 =D
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanls everyone for your help :) ive tried looking up food on here but im in Australia and America doesnt have things that we do :$

ive been wrting down the nutritional stuff but some of the foods dont say Caleries, just fats KJ ect :)

Hi hun, it can get quite confusing for those of us from the Southern Hemisphere (I'm from South Africa although I am in England now). You can put your own foods into the database in MFP, just get the details from the labels. If they only show KJ (kiljoules) try this website to convert http://www.positivehealthsteps.com/calorieskilojules-converter.shtml. There are also a number of other websites that will tell you what calories are in certain foods and if you do a Google search you may find something specific to Australia. Good luck, I hope that helps a little, add me as friend if you have any more questions, I will try and help where I can.
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thankyou heaps :) on my profile its saying i have 1500 caleries remaining?? is that for the week or is that for todat coz my calorie goel is only 1200?
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options

This sounds like advice from someone who has taken when people say with a grain of salt and experimented with different things people have advised. Rather than the advice from someone who read something on the internet and took that as fact for every possible body type makeup. "THIS IS HAS HOW IT HAS TO BE FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE I READ IT ON THE INTERNET!" ...lol no.

There is no single solution that works for everyone. It is up to you to read and test until you find what works for you. The body is far too complex for "one rule to rule them all".
  • Heatherdl52
    Heatherdl52 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, just stumbled accross this debate re eating back the extra calories/ That confuses me too as thought that was the whole purpose of weight loss.....to burn off some of what you eat, without going crazy about it.My excersise is very limited due to recent back surgery and basically 3 years of a fairly sedentary life due to injury. Have gained weight even while trying to stay around 1200 cals.Also....am an Aussie too, and we have most American foods or a substitute, another name etc, and i have found all I eat so far are on MFP calorie counter, or find the closest thing.I live with an American, and he has found a website in Melbourne that sells and posts lots of his favourite products if not in the supermarket.Just search American foods, Australia I think.Back to the calorie thing, I have trouble eating that many cals. unless I eat too many snacks and biscuits etc.....just not a big meal eater. So, is it totally wrong, to eat back those calories in say, a chocolate etc?
  • Heatherdl52
    Options
    That 1500 cals you have is for the day! You must have excersised alll you ate maybe, plus a lot more. Are you sure you are only supposed to have 1200 cals a day.....check up on that, as sounds like your daily intake should be a lot more.Who put you on that amount.....was it on this site? If not, then check again.I dont know your weight and height etc, but would certainly re acess that on this site with lifestyle etc.I cant read your profile, so nothing about you, but you look young and not overeweight enough to be on such a low calorie intake.And I am presuming you are excersising a lot.Please re check everything re calorie intake you require.(to Little miss)
  • Heatherdl52
    Options
    Me again! Forgot to add....read all labels as always have the amount of kj there here in oz, which is the calorie count.....divide this amount by 4 and you have the calorie number.When you type in the food you eat each day here, write what you have had, and it comes up in a box on the right hand side....if size is wrong, you can change the number that is there. To find out how mnay cals. before you eat there in small read writing it says " nutritional value".....this will tell you the calories, so you know whether to eat that food/ amount etc....then click add, to you daily diet.......so.....4kls equals 1 calorie and so on.Feel free to add me as a friend if I can help.Good luck!
  • catcrawf3
    catcrawf3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello, i recently hit a weight loss wall! my goal was 1200 calories but i wasn't eating the calories burned back so i was NET-ing around 800-900 calories SO this week i've upped my calorie goal to 1500 and trying to get a net of 1200 by snacking on cashew nuts :D But i just wanted to give some advice for the many people that workout not long before they go to bed and don't want to go to sleep full, MINT TEA!!! peppermint tea is a saviour for me, drink it while your snacking before bed and it will aid with digestion so you won't have any problems! ...hopefully haha