I want to be a runner but am far from one

Options

Replies

• princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yet another vote for C25K! I finish this week, and it is amazing! :)

My tip: Good shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. A pair will probably run you $100+, but it's so worth it!!! For the 1st 3 weeks, I just ran in my walking shoes. I had such knee and shin pain. New running kicks- no pain.

Run at your own pace, however your comfortable.

And as for other people- I really don't think most people will think anything about it. I see a lot of other people on the bikeway, and the only person I remember is the one I see all the time with the dachshund. And if anyone's said anything, I haven't heard. I have my music on and I'm in my zone.

Just get out there and do it! It's fun!
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25k! I just started week 3 and I'm amazed at how I'm able to run a little farther each time. Just like you, I am finding that walking fast isn't really enough to feel like I'm doing something anymore. I weigh just under 300 pounds and I keep a good eye on my form (I even almost ran into a parked car once because I was watching my feet!) and I haven't had problems. I don't care if someone sees me... I'd rather they see me running instead of seeing me scarfing down a cheeseburger (or 4) at McDonald's. (I don't do that anyway)

Just get out there and do it! You'll feel like you want to die after the first run but you'll also realize you MADE IT and anything is possible if you set your mind to do it!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I am going to try the running program on my own. I am asthmatic and I have been looking for a gradual program that will help me build my strength and endurance as well as my lung capacity. :)
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Another happy couch to 5k-er here - I'm on week 2, and before I started I vowed and declared that I'd never run in public because I was too big and people will laugh. (I'm just over 97kgs at the moment - I think that's about 215lbs.)

But like others have said, if I see someone big exercising, I think 'good on them!'. Why would it be any different for me? And in two weeks of running not only has nobody said anything derogatory, but I've had encouragement from people too. The programme itself is perfect - I thought I'd be on week 1 for ages, but after running it four times over the course of a week I was ready for week 2. I've got another couple of runs of week 2 to go, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be ready for week 3. Love it and am bewildered - didn't expect to enjoy it AT ALL.

Good on you for giving it a go! And let us know how it goes!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k here.

And as far as people judging you, screw 'em. If it helps, buy some funny T-shirts to run in. Tonight I ran in a T-shirt that reads "When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you." I dare anyone to see me running in that and even *have* an opinion. :bigsmile:
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    All you need is the push to do a tiny bit more each time. In the span of 3 months I've went from only being able to run 2 minutes straight to running over 60 min straight fairly easily. Just try 30 seconds more every time and once in a while you'll see you can do 3 or evan 5 minutes more. Keep building it up your body adjusts fairly quickly after consistent training.
  • lesnwo
    lesnwo Posts: 2
    Options
    Girl!! YOU GOT THIS! At some point to see life change, we have to stop thinking what others are thinking and stop doing what others are doing. Its your health, your priority, your life---do what you have to do to make it happen! We all know you can do it! Check out: http://www.blackgirlsrun.com/ --awesome group of women around the nation who are committed to fitness through running at all cost--get to running! :) -Leslie
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    couch to 5k is a wonderful program...

I dream of being a runner too. Literally lol. I have dreams every once in a while where I'm just running and running and running... then I wake up and realize I don't have enough endurance for that in real life hah. I'm in week 4 of the C25K and I love it!

Keep it going, before you know it you are running the whole thing and thinking about 10k :) I started mine in February and have been running the full thing in all of this month.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K program a year ago. I was NOT a runner before that. Just the thought of it at that point made me groan! I sucessfully completed it and ran my first 5K in August. I'm gearing up for my first 10K in 2 weeks! This program is easy to follow and gives you a good plan to start from point 0 (Like Me!). Just take it slow & steady & don't worry about what other people think. When they see you, they'll be jealous that you're out there running and they're not! Good Luck!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I started C25K and was having a hard time running a full minute. I got discouraged and just figured I wasn't running material. Then I tried again and just did the best I could do for each minute of running, repeated week one a few times and found my endurance was building. Believe me, those little successes can really encourage you to keep going.

As for people looking at you, I would rather see someone out there actively making changes than giving up and settling in at McDonald's! :) Honestly, it gives me hope to keep trying.

Add me if you want!!

Sherry
  • ohnedich00
    ohnedich00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one doing Couch to 5k! I highly recommend it. I'm only week 2, but it's a great program. I am far from a runner, but this program will help you become one. And the beauty of it is that it's doable. It's not an impossible program, but you do have to push yourself especially in the first 2 weeks. It's really worth it though!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who started this journey at 375lbs. Anyone can jog.
    I used the Couch to 5K (C25K) program to start and just recently finished my first half marathon.
    Who cares what other people think.

^^^^ THIS. you are a rockstar,my friend and the ultimate example of what happens when man wins the battle vs mind.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    one of the things i love about outdoor running is how incredibly supportive and friendly other runners are..they all say hello and the really fit ones all say something encouraging and make you feel like you are part 'the group' just because you are out there doing it, no matter how new and how unfit you are..you are trying and doing it and for that, all runners love you for it!
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Try sprints! It doesn't matter how fast you can go, just push yourself for the sprint. Increase number of sprints as you are able. When I started I hated it, but kept up anyway. I only run on grass so that means in front of my boyfriend's house or my apartment. I learned to not care as much. If a neighbor or a group of teenage boys are standing around where I run I will do something else. I can still walk faster than I run (I think) so a 6mph walk to downtown and back gives a lot in it's hour.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I tried the c25K and only got through week one day one barely.... I think I scared myself out of it.. I vow to try it again once Spring gets here (Again).... I want to be a runner... think I am scared of falling and failing!!!
  • maxxi
    maxxi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another advocate of Couch to 5K here - and I'm about 228 pounds - its tough but oh so worth it when you find you can run for 30 mins.
  • samsonite7
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a regular runner, and I wish I would see more people out there running, even if they're bigger. Once you find that feeling that running gives you, where you feel like you could go forever (admittedly, this isn't always a super-fast pace), you never want to stop running ever again. That's an amazing thing I wish everyone could have.

Don't be afraid to start doing something because you're worried about what others think. For every person who might think that you shouldn't be out there, there are 10 thinking "Damn, good for her." I guarantee you. :)

I'll second that!!
    You're doing it for you, not your spectators! Just go out there knowing that! And when you push yourself, it is for YOU, and when you can go farther after a couple weeks of training...it was all because of you!!
    It's very liberating! (and I have just started! Can't wait to be able to do a 5K!!)
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete novice, not exercised for years (and years) apart from a few Wii Dance sessions! I started this week learning to run - my way is learning first to walk fast and building up my abilitiy to breath as well as strengthening my muscles. I've downloaded the C25K app and it is on my list of things to do - there is a treadmill version as well! I'm only three days in but I've managed a fast 1 mile walk and I'm chuffed to bits - so just do it - you are doing it for you, so don't worry about what other people think, you have to think about how good it'll make you feel to do it and all those wonderful benefits it'll bring as well!
  • MyTime4Health
    Options
    I love from Couch to 5K if you follow it you'll be running in no time:) Good Luck!!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just get started! :D Let people think what they will for now.... they'll be doing a double take in six months. :)

I'd strongly recommend running in minimalist shoes. If you're worried about your weight, you need to be super careful with your form. Most running injuries are caused from absolute overexertion, bad form, or a combination of both. Minimalist shoes allow your feet to give you more feedback which generally helps you to instinctively find proper style and gait.

Form cliffnotes as a fairly new runner:
    - Land on your fore or midfoot!! Can't stress this enough. Heel-striking is bad, bad, bad. It's bad for your joints, is inefficient so you expend more energy, and is statistically proven to increase injury risk.
    - Keep your arms loose, don't pump them to your chest. You basically want to keep them in front of you but very loose so you're not building up tension in your shoulders with each landing. I'm still working on finding a good balance for this one.
    - Land with your knees slightly bent (more just 'loose', again), and your foot almost directly underneath of you. If you land too far forward of your center of gravity you put unnecessary stress on your knees and ankles.
    - Fast cadence is good. 180 strikes per minute or so enables (if barefoot or in proper minimalist footwear) your arches, tendons, and calves to more or less act as springs... this saves you from some muscle fatigue and helps reduce impact.

As a heavier runner, I totally agree with this. I ran years and years ago and was much lighter. I wore traditional running shoes and was very prone to shin splints. This time when I decided to take up running I researched and ended up getting minimalist shoes. Here's a link to my shoes so you can see an example. http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-pace-glove-aluminum
    They keep your heel flatter to the ground. Traditional running shoes will have your heel elevated. These particular shoes have what's called a "zero drop", essential to a good minimalist running shoe. I LOVE these shoes. I've been running more than I ran even when I dabbled years ago and I haven't had the slightest hint of shin splints. My body has recovered very quickly from every run that I've done.

I hear constant success with C25K. Some people find that they need to repeat days and/or weeks in the program before moving on. Don't feel bad about that if you need to do some repeats. The important thing isn't flying through the program - it's the long-term success!