Calorie estimates for exercising?

Options
It seems to me that MFP overestimates the calories burned exercising. It looks like it about doubles it. Today I ran about 8 miles in about 80 minutes. MFP reckons I burned 1600 calories while everything I know about running says maybe 800 cal. Same for cycling. MFP reckons a 1.5 hour bike ride burns 600 cal. My cycle computer says300 with regularity.

Does anyone else find this? What's the deal? I've just started halving my exercise entries to compensate.

.??

Cheers from shaky quaky Christchurch, NZ.

Replies

• MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    After getting a heart rate monitor I found that some of Mfp's estimates were high, some perfect and some were even way too low. They do the best they can and the database works for most people just fine. Buy a hrm if you want to be sure though.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use FITBIT estimates as even polar HRM seems to over estimate eg 5 hour bush walk up hill today = 3500 calories burned by polar HRM and only 1250 by FITBIT (288 floors up).
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a polar hrm and from my experience i can tell you that mfp estimates way too high. It's really cool to keep track of how many calories you burn but i think some people are being mislead by some of the numbers on here.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia core and have found that the walking 3.0 & 3.5 are spot on. The Weight Training & Martial arts are WAY over stated.