long distance running and weight loss

Options
For those of you that run half and full marathons how do you lose weight during the training process and not feel like you are STARVING?

Last year I ran my first marathon - I gained 8 lbs during the training because of a few things. Mentally I kept telling myself - "well you did run 20 miles today and burned xyz amount of calories so of course you can have those donuts, fries, ect" and not to mention I was hungry ALL of the time. Insatiabley hungry. Expecially the evening and day after a long run.

I found out I was preggo the week I ran that marathon and now she is 4 months old and Im back into the running scene. Just completed a 5k. Have a 10k scheduled in May, a half scheduled in June and Sept and a full in November. So my miles are creeping up.

I still have 30 lbs to lose and dont want to get back to where I was with gaining while training. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jmorri95
    jmorri95 Posts: 5
    Options
    bump
  • allierae14
    allierae14 Posts: 167
    Options
    For me, eating good filling fats and proteins before/after a run really helps me not have ridiculous cravings after I run. I eat nuts, peanut butter, protein shakes, eggs ect close to my run (probably like a hour before depending on the length of my run). If I am not feeling up to eating a few hours before my run, I have a protein bar and full bottle of water before going out.

Good luck!
  • jmorri95
    jmorri95 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just did a 10k last week - have a half schedule a week from Sunday and a full in October. Hoping that I can lose the 10-15lbs I have put on in the last 8 months from a very stressful job.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds in training form my maraton in March. That is the most I've ever lost durning a training. MFP has helped be not eat too much food after long runs.
  • brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Chrissy,
    I have been running fulls and halfs for the last 3 years. A couple of things that I do to help me are I fuel my runs during the run with gu or powergel every 5 miles or so. I also drink a 8 to 10oz of orange juice within 15 minutes of finishing to help my body recover (my husband prefers Chocolate Milk). Besides that I try to make sure my calories in is pretty close to my calories out. So I usually stay pretty steady. If I feel like I am starving I try eating a piece of fruit like an apple or some grapes and that generally fixes the problem. I hope these things help. I know they work for me.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me, eating good filling fats and proteins before/after a run really helps me not have ridiculous cravings after I run. I eat nuts, peanut butter, protein shakes, eggs ect close to my run (probably like a hour before depending on the length of my run). If I am not feeling up to eating a few hours before my run, I have a protein bar and full bottle of water before going out.

Good luck!

This is absolutely what helps me. If I do a long run (for me more than 7 miles or so) I'll allow myself a small treat, but in day to day running it is all about the quality of what you're eating. You can eat a lot more if you are eating fruits, vegetables, protein than eating junk like chips or sweets - plus you'll feel better! I'll eat peanut butter on a 100 calorie sandwich thin, I also eat a lot of greek yogurt and eggs. Hope that helps... feel free to add me to keep an eye on my running and my diary! :)
  • MNFats
    MNFats Posts: 4
    Options
    It is fairly simple. Log everything. When you are training and trying to loose weight it is critical to eat healthy, which means higher protein to rebuild broken down muscle fibers, clean carbs (vegetables and high in fiber) rather than white carbs (white bread, rice, potatoes) and plenty of water. Also focus on severely reducing sugars and sugar substitutes.

When you record your meals and your exercise be sure to leave about 500 cal each day. By reducing it in small amounts the loss will be about a pound a week. If you are fairly strict you will see more loss per week than this. I also customized the percentages in the program so that my ratios are 40/40/20, protein to carbs to fat.

I have followed this plan and have lost 20 pounds in 4 months while training for a half Ironman.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Good luck!

1- Eat protien to fill you up, not "junk food".
    2- MFP is your best friend by helping you know what you actually eat
    3- Use a HRM to know how much you actually burn and eat 80% of your exercise calories back
    4- Change your mindset from "well you did run 20 miles today and burned xyz amount of calories so of course you can have those donuts, fries, ect" to "food fuels my body for the workout and speeds my recovery/growth in training, I will make the best choice for fuel"

I hope this helps... I have been losing weight over the last 18 months while training for 2 half marathons a year :wink:
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    Bump! Interesting replies, thanks everyone. I'm just starting out as a runner, I have only done 1 5K, but I placed 4th in my age group. I'd like to do a 10K next, but my ultimate goal is to run a half.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am meeting with a nutritionist tomorrow to talk about this very thing. I am training for a half in September and as soon as I went above about 6 miles for longer runs I started to get sick. I just had no idea what to eat before or after. I am hoping she gives me some great insight. If she does I will be happy to share.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I drink gatorade and take gu chomps every 30 minutes and drink a scoop of protein powder after. I am not very hungry after because of all of those things.