weight lifting question

Options
I've been doing squats with a weighted barbell on my shoulders as part of my weight lifting routine, but am at the stage where I need to up my weights, and am struggling to lift the barbell over my head to place it in position. I am wondering if there is an alternative to squats that will work the same muscle groups. I am working out at home, and often am alone, so am trying to avoid injury. Thanks

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt be able to overhead press what you can squat that would just be a massive flaw in training, simply put you need a squat rack, there is nothing quite like doing a true squat, you can squat holding a dumbell in front of your chest or do front sqauts with the bar resting on your chest both are different from a normal back squat and will traing your body differently, so either rig up a way to have the bar set where you can get under it, find a squat rack or join a gym..all roads in fitness lead to the gym anyway, sooner or later youll find yourself a member of one might as well start now
  • medlicott68
    Options
    Only problem with Gym is I'm from a small country town, so options are very limited.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue moving up in weight and keeping up with the lifting you really have two options. Start building a home gym if you have space, start with a power rack and a bench to go with it. The other option is to join a gym. As for an alternative to squats, there isn't one that will target your lower body in the same way and there certainly isn't one that will train your central nervous system even close to the same extent.
  • endorka
    endorka Posts: 2
    Options
    As others have posted, squat stands or similar are required to perform the traditional squat effectively. Squat stands are useful as they can be stored away, but make sure you get a pair with spotter catcher bars for safety.

In the absence of these, I've found goblet squats effective; while you won't be using as much weight as the traditional squat, it's still a good exercise:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmrXTx6jZs

Jennifer
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you can do d/b squats it will train same muscles but not near same intensity,use lifting straps to go as heavy as possible.
    lunges will train legs
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd join a gym and use a squat rack. If you can overhead press the weight you squat, it's not challenging enough.

If you have the stay at home though, then there are other alternatives. Front squats, DB lunges etc

Edit: Someone else posted a link to squat stands. They are good, especially if you don't have access to a gym for a squat rack. The only issue with them is you don't have the safety bars that you'd get with a squat rack, so you wouldn't be able to lift to failure, unless you had someone spotting you.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • endorka
    endorka Posts: 2
    Options
    You are right about the importance of spotter bars, but some squat stands do have them, such as these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymax-CF310-Squat-Stands/dp/B001QSYJ48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335355655&sr=8-2

I use these squat stands for bench press, and the spotter bars work for dips as well.

Jennifer
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Squat with dumb bells...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Squat with dumb bells...
    This would be a good option....................if there are dumbells heavy enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from...but if you have Craigslist or something similar, you can likely find a squat rack pretty cheap!
  • joshd1974
    joshd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You may or may not not be able to go as heavy but you could use dumb bells. That is what I do. It is much easier on my back but a lot harder on my hand grip.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I like using 20 lb dumb bells and adding a jump at the end...