swelling!!!! help

my weight can fluctuate 10 or more pounds in a matter of a day!! i never know if im truely losing weight because i can weigh 195 one morn and then the very next ill weigh 212!! i can tell when im swollen my hands and feet are very tight. i drink 3 liters of water a day cut out salt and salty foods and im still fluctuating really bad..... drs have even tested my thyroid said it was okay... anyone else have this problem>!

Replies

• minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    I am a bit older than you but when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure, that was one of my symptoms. I have no problem now that I am on medication and hope that the next time I see my Dr he will try and wean me off of them. Good luck!! Oh, are u watching your sodium? Some ppl are much more sensitive to it than others
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    potassium can help with swelling. But your morning weight is what most consider your "true" weight. And everybody fluctuates to at least 5 pounds a day, so don't be totally discouraged.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,508 Member
    I do the same thing, but it is usually around my TOM or if I have taken in too much sodium. You mentioned cutting back on salts, so that will help. My husband tells me to drink more water and it will help, sounds like you are doing a good job there. I actually asked my doctor if I could take a diuretic and she said it was not a good idea.

If you find an answer, please let me know!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    How many calories are you burning to create this inflammation?
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    I have this same exact problem. I swell up, well my legs n stomach do. I have been tested and they have nothing. Idk whats goign on, but I do know how you feel about this because its more of a nuisance than anything. I cut down on salt and I also take water pills. I only know I just recently found out I have fibroids, but I don't know if it has a cause to do with it, although it might
  • marthadoss
    marthadoss Posts: 11 Member

what do u mean i didnt know burning calories could do that...... ive only just recently started hardcore working out did p90x for 2 weeks and to time consuming so now doing 30 day shred... just ordered a HRM so i dont know how many calories i burn but ive always had this proble,m
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    I have never added salt to my food, or indeed eaten salt food. This does'nt mean that my sodium levels are low. There is sodium in fruits and vegetables, bread, pasta and all sorts of other things. Just cutting out salty foods or not adding salt to food is'nt really watching your sodium intake. I try to keep mine around 1250 at most.

Also you should have your blood pressure checked, it could be low. And, to help with swelling of the legs and increase drainage try dry body brushing and massage, these should help in the mean time :smile:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member

what do u mean i didnt know burning calories could do that...... ive only just recently started hardcore working out did p90x for 2 weeks and to time consuming so now doing 30 day shred... just ordered a HRM so i dont know how many calories i burn but ive always had this proble,m

Is your weight more the morning after working out the previous day? If so, your muscles can be sore and therefore retaining water. I walked a tonne yesterday and today my weight is up about a lb from the same time yesterday morning.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    I get leg edema I use compression socks to help with it and it works really well
  • marthadoss
    thanks for all advise swelling is usually only in my hands and toes...
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    I can go up and down 5 pounds depending on if I eat salty foods, especially soy sauce and cottage cheese. There are foods that are diaretics such as asparagus and cranberry juice. Don't know if that would help but that's why I don't log my weight losses till they are on the scales for two or three days. Just don't give up.
  • I have the same problem - I am 33 but have had this problem now for 4 years. I am 5'7 and weighed 159 this morning - and weighed 150 yesterday morning. I believe mine was due to the 4 bites of spaghetti I took from my husband's plate last night. My dinner was a Boca Burger and a salad. Sigh. You are not alone. My doctor has checked everything out and I'm fine - he says.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Swelling is a sign of possible circulation problems. I would double check at the doctor's office. 10 lbs from morning to the next is definitely a bit extreme.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Another thing to think about is hydration. How much water are you drinking?
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    This may sound silly but what are you eating? If you are eating processed meats--lunch meat, hot dogs, sausage, bacon, etc, it could be the nitrites in them. Wine coolers and other grain beverages also have them. Years ago, I found out nitrites make my fingers and toes swell up.
  • don't weigh yourself every day - you can fluctuate greatly between days. weigh yourself once a week, approximately the same time, wearing the same stuff. All the other suggetions are really valid. if the doc can't find anything it is just something to deal with. but if you are weighing every day and you are upset at the fluctuations, just don't do it. I can vary 10 lbs in one day just because I had ham for dinner or chinese food. be consistent, stick with the good eating habits and you should be fine.
  • marthadoss
    Another thing to think about is hydration. How much water are you drinking?

water deff isnt my problem i drink 3 or more liters a day
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    What medications do you take? I have swelling in my legs -- bad veins -- but the only time I swell up like you describe is when I take penicillins. I'm allergic. Could you be reacting to something?
  • spekkio12345
    spekkio12345 Posts: 18 Member
    Even with the swelling and fluctuating weight you can still determine if you are losing weight over time. If you weigh yourself several times daily, then log the MAX weight you observe for yourself each day. Over time you should see that max value decrease if you are losing.

But yea, I would continue to investigate with your health care provider the cause of the water retention. Normal should be 5 pounds or less of fluctuation daily... which equates to about a half gallon of water + or -
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    I swell something awful!! When I was pregnant (years ago) my OB worried about my water retention. He would do this "test" to determine how much I was retaining. He would press down on my shin, and if his thumb left an indentation I was retaining a lot of water. Here lately, I've been doing the same thing, and wow, am I retaining big time!

I'm not on any medication, try to keep my salt intake down to a minimum, drink tons of water, yet I still retain like a sponge. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I can go plus upwards of 5 lbs. It's very frustrating, especially when you're a numbers watcher like me.