NROLFW - Getting Started

Options
Hi all! Frustrated by my outrageously slow metabolism, I bought NROLFW, planning to begin the program the week after Easter. I have read the entire book, but can't seem to get myself started.

The problem is somewhat logistical - how do I manage carrying a log sheet and pictures of all the exercises, while trying to do them in the right order, tangling with barbells and dumbells, and not make a fool of myself in the gym?

Second question: What do you use for a step for the stepups? Our gym doesn't have anything like the nice wood boxes shown in the pics.

What is your preferred post-workout shake? I would like to keep some premade ones on hand, as well as the ingredients for making some blended ones.

Finally: I get the science behind eating more, but it seems like everyone that posts on this has already lost quite a bit of weight by eating less. I have lost almost nothing (7 lbs in 13 weeks) by eating less, so I am obviously concerned about eating more. Is there anyone who has actually gained weight when starting this program? If so, how long did it take you to realize the problem?

Replies

• Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump, good questions! I would like to start lifting as well but I'm not sure where to begin. Maybe I need to get that book :smile:
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Depending on your height, you can use a bench for the step. I'm 5'6" and it's the perfect height for me. I just bring a peice of paper with me to the gym, do the exercises and write down what I did afterward.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'll try to answer best I can. I am in stage 2 of the book as for carrying it around you get use to it. For me once I do the workout a couple times I don't really need the book until it's time for the next stage. If I don't have time to fill out the log right away I just make notes in pencil in my book.

As for step ups, I use an actual stair case. Started on the first step now using the second and third to make it more challenging, definitely feel it the next day :happy:

For shakes on the weekend I premeasure baggies of what I like to put in them and throw them in the freezer. Pull one out, throw in the food processor with some water. Takes less then 2 minutes.

I have lost 104 lbs and have never ate less than 1800 cals/day so I really didn't have to change my calorie intake when starting this program. I don't have an answer there except it is normal to gain a bit when starting a new program or upping your calories. Ride it out at least a month then reevaluate if needed. Good luck!
  • Shells06
    Options
    I'll try to answer best I can. I am in stage 2 of the book as for carrying it around you get use to it. For me once I do the workout a couple times I don't really need the book until it's time for the next stage. If I don't have time to fill out the log right away I just make notes in pencil in my book.

As for step ups, I use an actual stair case. Started on the first step now using the second and third to make it more challenging, definitely feel it the next day :happy:

For shakes on the weekend I premeasure baggies of what I like to put in them and throw them in the freezer. Pull one out, throw in the food processor with some water. Takes less then 2 minutes.

I have lost 104 lbs and have never ate less than 1800 cals/day so I really didn't have to change my calorie intake when starting this program. I don't have an answer there except it is normal to gain a bit when starting a new program or upping your calories. Ride it out at least a month then reevaluate if needed. Good luck!

Would the NROWLFW book be beneficial to me if I am not planning on joining a gym? I have a weight bench with bars and free weights at home (well my husband does).
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The only question I can answer is about the log/book issue as I am starting the program today and have many of the same questions as you.

I have a smart phone so I took a picture of all the exercises for today so I can reference and used a check list app (color not for android) to list my exercises and log the weight info until I get home and plug it on the spread sheet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking pictures of the moves on my phone. I have a gym that's pretty uncivilized at best and (cro-magnon or htf you spell it) the rest of the time. I dont want to walk around with arms full of books and papers and weights, tripping over myself on top being the lost lil blonde white chick.

I just ordered this book and was planning on jumping into it in May after Ive settled from moving and such, but its intimidating. Its nice to know there are others out there that want to do this but are just trying to get it logistically figured out before hand.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    step ups: you can use the actual bench. i do all the time. just wipe it down afterwards.

and bring the book with you. and a small note pad if you need to write things down, although i use my phone with the Evernote app.

go at your own pace. go on off peak hours if you are a little afraid of the crowds at first.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    are you stalking me? go write your paper!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Would the NROWLFW book be beneficial to me if I am not planning on joining a gym? I have a weight bench with bars and free weights at home (well my husband does).

Yes! It has tons of great info along with the routines. I do mine from home as well. I have pretty much everyhting needed though. For the things I don't have I make accomodations/find similar move that I have equip for.
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    I was thinking of downloading this book to my iPad. Would it be bad to not be able to bring it with me?
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the support! I am going to have to buy the paperback version of the book I think. I originally bought it for Nook, but think it would be better to have a real paperback where I can put stickynotes to mark pages, etc. I will try the stairs and/or the bench for the stepups.

@Oretexan - I think an I-pad would be perfect. You could bring it with you to see the exercise pics and log your exercises all at once. I wish I had an I-pad...
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of downloading this book to my iPad. Would it be bad to not be able to bring it with me?

It's kind of annoying with an iPad, because the page numbers to the specific exercises aren't linked. I guess you could bookmark them, but I think a paper copy would be easier to manage.
  • robynelaine77
    Options
    In my gym we have the ol' 'STEP' aerobic systems (think 90's) with the plastic risers. This has worked well for me as I have been able to continuously raise the height to fit my needs. :)
  • Shells06
    Options

Yes! It has tons of great info along with the routines. I do mine from home as well. I have pretty much everyhting needed though. For the things I don't have I make accomodations/find similar move that I have equip for.

Thanks for the info!! :smile:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking pictures of the moves on my phone. I have a gym that's pretty uncivilized at best and (cro-magnon or htf you spell it) the rest of the time. I dont want to walk around with arms full of books and papers and weights, tripping over myself on top being the lost lil blonde white chick.

I just ordered this book and was planning on jumping into it in May after Ive settled from moving and such, but its intimidating. Its nice to know there are others out there that want to do this but are just trying to get it logistically figured out before hand.

I'm in the same boat. My gym has a lot of meatheads, more grunters, and a lot of people along the lines of "I lift sings up and put zem down". It's so intimidating! I made a schedule for myself starting next week to get in there three days a week and do it. Nerves be damned!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

This is great info! Thanks for sharing, especially about the premeasured baggies! Brilliant idea!
  • louisa_jay
    louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'm justing starting NROLFW.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I workout at home but I do use a bench for step-ups (I'm 5'2"). I eat 1450 cals a day (less than what the book suggests) and I am losing weight slowly but continuing to gain strength. I am in stage 3 and I can do a pull-up now. I am 116 lbs and my goal is 114 so I may up my cals a bit when I reach it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

The problem is somewhat logistical - how do I manage carrying a log sheet and pictures of all the exercises, while trying to do them in the right order, tangling with barbells and dumbells, and not make a fool of myself in the gym?

Second question: What do you use for a step for the stepups? Our gym doesn't have anything like the nice wood boxes shown in the pics.

What is your preferred post-workout shake? I would like to keep some premade ones on hand, as well as the ingredients for making some blended ones.

Finally: I get the science behind eating more, but it seems like everyone that posts on this has already lost quite a bit of weight by eating less. I have lost almost nothing (7 lbs in 13 weeks) by eating less, so I am obviously concerned about eating more. Is there anyone who has actually gained weight when starting this program? If so, how long did it take you to realize the problem?

1. I made a cheat sheet to track how much weight I use for each of the Workouts. It's 1 page for Workout A (all 8 times, noting how many sets & reps to do for each time), and 1 page for Workout B. If you wanted to bring pictures of each move without bringing the whole book, you could copy the pages for the 10 moves in Stage 1 & staple them to your cheat sheet for each Workout.

2. For step-ups, I started out using an aerobic class step with risers, like someone else mentioned. But then I found that my gym has a machine for step-ups (just an adjustable height platform with cable-based weights), so now I use that, but holding dumbbells instead of using the cable-weights.

3. The only protein shake I've had is 1 scoop of EAS Whey Powder mixed with 4-12 oz. skim milk. When I use less milk, sometimes I add water too. I work out @ 5:30-6:30 am before work, so I need these to be fast & convenient.

4. I've definitely seen water weight fluctuations since I started (on Apr. 16), but my actual weight has stayed pretty steady bet. 190-194 lb., BUT I can see that I'm getting smaller, and when I went to buy new jeans, I expected to buy a size 16 (I'd been wearing an 18), but was pleasantly surprised that I could buy size 14's instead (just a *tiny* bit on the snug side). So I'm pretty confident that I'm adding muscle & losing fat, which is more important to me that what the scale says anyway.