Camping food ideas...?

Options
yoashisme
yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
so my husband and I are going camping sat, sun, and Monday. Since we will be far away from the store I need some good ideas on what kind of food to bring. I am going to try to plug everything in before we go so I know what to eat while I am out there. The only bad thin is normally when we go camping it's hot dogs and other easy not so healthy foods. Of course I want to bring things I won't have to worry about in coolers. I have never planed healthy eating on a camping trip so I don't know what will go bad in a cooler. Please give me some ideas!! Thanks

Replies

• mpowers13
    mpowers13 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would bring fruit and veggies. You can still do hot dogs, but do a healthier version. They make chicken and turkey dogs that taste so similar. The first time I bought them, I pretended they were the normal kind. I've kinda had to trick my fiance into eating healthier. But now when he goes to the market he actually prefers to get the turkey kind. I've also done baked potatoes on a campfire. Just put them in foil near the fire and let them cook. I hope you enjoy your camping trip! :-)
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have never had turkey dogs before but i will forsure try them. I have to trick my husband into healthy foods to. of course I could so only eat fruits and vegs but my husband wouldn't like it if I didn't cook meat. So of course for dinners I try to always have meats.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Hebrew National makes hot dogs that have no added crap in them -- no HFCS, sugar, nothing like that.
    Turkey burgers are good
    Veggies and hummus
    Crackers -- Triscuit are more "healthy". If you don't like the taste the Hone Wheat Ritz are pretty good (no added crap to those either)
    Cheese -- not really healthy but not all that bad for you. Actually Cabot makes a 50% fat cheddar that is really good.
    I like the baked potato idea as one poster said (will need to mark this one down for future reference!)

And of course you just have to have marshmallows!!

You are making me want to go camping now!

ETA: Does your husband like chicken? Cook up some chicken on the grill or get some lean steaks.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Also turkey burgers are good too. If you do the potatoes, skip the butter and sour cream and put salsa on it. Yummy and saves on calories. : )
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Also turkey burgers are good too. If you do the potatoes, skip the butter and sour cream and put salsa on it. Yummy and saves on calories. : )

Or if you need sour cream get non fat plain greek yogurt. It is just like sour cream only healthier. Also olive oil in place of butter.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a camping trip. Here is what I did.

Breakfast was Instant Oatmeal. All you need to do is heat water. I also brought berries and cut up pineapple in my cooler.

Turkey Sausages are excellent for Foil Dinners. I brought Zucchini, Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers. Cut it all up, seasoned, 45 mins in the fire. IT was great. I sauteed the veggies another night for a side with my burger.

Lunches were turkey sands on Whole Wheat Sub Rolls. I also brought Baby Carrots and Grapes for sides.

Turkey Burgers are a great idea, I just did Extra Lean GB.

Also, Marinated Chicken Tenders. I took some chicken tenders and put them in a ziplock with some BBQ Sauce. They were great.

Most importantly, don't forget the Marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers (You are camping- you have to have one S'more).
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    my partner and i like to wrap burritos (usually bean and veggie burritos and breakfast burritos) individually in foil before our big camping trips. it's a bit of prep work, but once on site, we can just toss them by the fire or on the coals and not worry much about it.

we go camping with a huge group. everyone pitches in and each meal is a feast. things that go over well are: salmon and chicken grilled, kebabs, and potatoes roasted in packets with onions.

but you know what's REALLY fun? take a foraging guide for the area you'll be staying and see what you can't find to munch. cattail shoots are in season right now. yum!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Foil dinners! They are so easy and there is no mess. Just put meat and your fav veggies on a piece of foil, wrap it up tight and cook over a fire. I usually use lean ground beef and crumble it over or mix into it, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, green beans, onions, mushrooms, herbs and carrots. You can use fish, chicken, turkey, just about any meat. For breakfast you can have oatmeal with fresh fruit. I just mash or cut up the fruit and add boiling water. Or make an omelet or scrambled eggs. Yum! I even take my kitchen scale with me but I camp about 8 weeks each summer.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Whatever scurries past the campsite? Now that's REAL camping!

JM