Are you an Ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph?

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Knowing your body type can help you find the right diet and exercise.

Perso I am a mesomorph with endomorph tendencies because of me PCOS

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    those terms are just made up and are irrelevant.. anyone can become skinny, built, or fat. most are mixes between all of them and it mainly relies on bone structure (i.e. long/short arms, long/short legs, broad/ narrow shoulders, broad/narrow waist) but to answer your question based on what each classification is i would say mesomorph because i have a narrow waist compared to my shoulders and long arms compared to my legs.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    None of them...or a combination of all three. Whichever one is the better answer.

I have a flat chest, I gain weight easily, I'm not short or stocky, but I gain fat and muscle easily... I could go on.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    This body type classification is totally faux science ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph. Early Broscience?
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    hybrid meso-ecto
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyborg.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am just a morph:

Morph-Bendy-Desk-Buddy.jpg
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This body type classification is totally faux science ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph. Early Broscience?

On what evidence do you base this conclusion?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do not know if it is bro science but it helped me understand what I can and can't do. It would be pointless for me to have a runway model's body as a goal since I am just not made that way and even going very low body fat would not give me what I want. Embracing my muscles made it easier for me to be happy with my body
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

LOL it is broscience.its true some have better genetics than others for building muscle, gaining fat, or getting lean but the larger factor is someones appetite and how much they love to eat. i consider myself someone who can put on muscle and fat relatively easy and i have a friend who has been skinny his whole life. we have worked to the point to where we now have similar body types but the difference is I can eat 3000 calories without a problem and he has trouble getting 2500. activity levels also play a role
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    to me it looks like an endo is just a fat meso... ... ...

it looks like it comes down to either you are: A) tall, skinny, and delicate or B) shorter, bulkier, and "denser". if you are of the B variety, your health choices will result in either being shorter, bulkier with muscle tone (mesomorph) or being shorter, bulkier with fat (endomorph). there is validity to genetics and body build affecting how to approach dieting, but this is a little off to me.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options

LOL it is broscience.its true some have better genetics than others for building muscle, gaining fat, or getting lean but the larger factor is someones appetite and how much they love to eat. i consider myself someone who can put on muscle and fat relatively easy and i have a friend who has been skinny his whole life. we have worked to the point to where we now have similar body types but the difference is I can eat 3000 calories without a problem and he has trouble getting 2500. activity levels also play a role

The Journal of American Medical Association says it is mostly unproven theories and biased data.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am an Ecto and Meso mix. More mesomorph i guess. I kinda have narrow shoulders, but not really lanky and easily gain weight. I also have to use a mix of weight training and cardio.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Mesomorph.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm a gumby! :smile:

gumby2.jpg

In all seriousness, I don;t really fit the criteria of any of those...
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Meso/Endo and I train cardio as well as weights, that seems to have worked best for me \m/
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    Take the Micheal Turmonds body type quiz and it will give you a general idea of what ur body type is.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Because Somatotypes aren't real. It was a psychologist named Sheldon in the 1940's who took nude photos of college students, compared their pictures with their grades, and invented all kinds of physical and mental attributes to describe them. It's total pseudoscience, and has absolutely no basis in real science. Sheldon is considered a quack according to modern scientists and his "research" has been thoroughly debunked as meaningless and untrue.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ectoplasm.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph :(.

"Broscience" or not, all I know is I can eat a lot of food and not gain weight. Feel free to view my diary. I upped my calorie intake by nearly 1000 for the last 2 weeks and recently weighed in at exactly where I was 2 weeks ago... *sigh*
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've never seriously dug into this theory to see if there is any merit to it or not. My instinct is 'no'. I tend to balk at anything that classifies humans into groups like this without looking at genetic background. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's one thing to say (for example) that Native Americans have higher incidences of type 2 diabetes than caucasians, because that can at least be explained by genetic tendencies past down by common ancestors, but the ectomorph/mesomorph/endomorph idea groups people just on 'apparent' body type... I don't know. I just don't buy it even though I haven't done a lot of digging.

The terms also irk me because the terms are reminiscent of developmental biology: endoderm, mesoderm, ectoderm. They're layers of the developing embryo and have specific meaning. It bugs me to have the terms co-opted for something that has nothing to do with development.