What the scale doesn't show....(Pics)

Options
SeaChele77
SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
I've read on here over and over.....the scale is only a guideline. Let me be the first to admit - I am a scale *kitten*. :laugh: I have cut back from weighing in every day to only Mon, Wed and Fri! That is a HUGE accomplishment for me. In Jan, I noticed some of my old jeans were fitting, but the scale wasn't reflecting much loss. So I started to take pictures. In March I had a goal - 135 by my 35th birthday. I made it a few days later at 135.6, but I really think it was a fluke and a belated b-day present because the scale went back up. I am now fluctuating between 138.8 and (today) 141.2. As much as I REALLY want to get under and stay under 140 - I'm actually starting to like what I see in the mirror. My eyes do not see what everyone else sees, unfortunately this is due to many years of ED. I've had people compliment me, but I didn't (dont') see it. But after my work out last night and before my shower I caught a glimpse of me in the mirror and thought ...."wow, the hard work seems to be paying off". After looking at the pictures, I don't really see much of a difference. However, the way my pants and belts fit tell a different story.

Last nights picture is after doing about 2-3 weeks of Ab Ripper X. My husband is doing P90X and I've been doing the Ab portion with him. I also run 3-6 miles a week and lift weights 2-3x per week.

I do not have a picture of me at my highest weight of 154lbs....I hated the camera!!

Oct. 2010 - 150'ish. Anniversary cruise (also after a month of REALLY working hard (lots of cardio, stomach and little weights) to look good for the cruise. Again the scale did NOT reflect anything as I was still at or over 150lbs)

MFP2010.jpg

Jan 2012 - 145lbs

ab-1.jpg

April 2012 - 140 (Last night after my workout)

sideviewApril25.jpg

frontviewApril25.jpg

And just for fun.... kinda proud of my arms!! :bigsmile:

armsapril25.jpg

So I guess the point of this post is that if the scale is not moving.... DO NOT get discouraged!!!! I am addicted to the number on the scale and I am finally realizing that I think I look better now, more toned, than I did when I weighed 133 with ED!! Weights can be your friend as well - I used to only do a little bit of weights b/c I didn't want to get too "bulky'. My thoughts on that has changed dramatically!!!

Good luck to all and thank you all to my MFP friends for all your support!! :happy:

Replies

• _Emu_
    _Emu_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    well done! I like the scales a bit too much as well! I havent lost any lbs in ages but stuff is fitting looser, so I guess I should take your advice & take pics instead

you look fantastic & your hard work is definatly showing xx although you look pretty good in the first pic too
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    So TRUE! You look FABULOUS!!!! Congratulations!! I love strength training!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and strong! It is really hard to let go of the number on the scale - but you are proof that it doesn't accurately reflect body fat and strength.

Keep up the great work!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There is a definite improvement in muscle tone! Way to go! The scale is not always our friend now is it? Mine is evil. I can't wait to look as good as you do! Congrats!
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    Great job! You look great!
  • proudtruckersgirl
    proudtruckersgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great. I too am a scale *kitten*. :) I need to cut back on it but it is so hard to do. I'm down to my first 10 lbs lost and it took me a month to do. :)
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    good for you! you look wonderful..
    coming from a fellow scale *kitten* :smokin:
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree, I weigh 10 lbs more than I did in my 20s, but I am the same size clothes and now the same measurements!!!
  • PiperMommy11
    Options
    Great job.. you look GREAT. I am a scale *kitten* as well. I have to weigh daily in order to keep on track. Hope I can change to every other day at some point like you. :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You look great. That stomach--I'm jealous! :)
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    your arms are A M A Z I N G !!!!!

**throws scale in the trash**

:flowerforyou:
  • iambatman41
    Options
    Great job, you look awesome!!! I have stopped weighing myself everyday and now do it once a week. I am happier with the way my clothes fit and the amount of exercise i can do. The scale is only one portion of this journey and should not be the final judge.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful progress and helping to show all the ladies how much resistance training can pay off!

You look .....A M A Z I N G. So proud of you and I don't even know you. :]

Have a great day.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You look great! What a difference!

Guilty of being a scale *kitten* here too! And I needed to hear this today. Even though I keep telling myself to concentrate on the way I feel, how my clothes fit, and body fat %, I have been getting very discouraged because my scale is being a total ***** and either staying the same or moving up a little just to go back down to the same weight. I'm also getting discouraged because I'm not "seeing" a difference in the way I look. Hopefully when I measure myself next month I'll see some inches lost and can stop feeling so aggravated and frustrated, at least for a day :laugh:
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I actually made my husband take the scale to work with him, and only bring it home every other Thursday, because I'd get on it, than be like why am I even bothering, I'm working my butt off and nothing every week. So then I'd go eat a big piece of chocolate and self sabotage my goals. So I really really needed to read this today, thank you for sharing. You look amazing, awesome job!!
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    Awesome job - you look amazing! Plus, I needed to read this cause the scale isn't moving for me either and I've been bustin' my *kitten*! Thanks for posting!
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    I am the same, I actually made my husband take the scale to work with him, and only bring it home every other Thursday, because I'd get on it, than be like why am I even bothering, I'm working my butt off and nothing every week. So then I'd go eat a big piece of chocolate and self sabotage my goals. So I really really needed to read this today, thank you for sharing. You look amazing, awesome job!!

^^same^^
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yep!! That is me as well. Even this morning I got on the scale and was discouraged to see that after a great week of low carb high protien and staying under my calorie goal - the number was STILL above 140!! So this post was a little pep talk for myself as well. We can NOT let the scale control us. It needs to be more on how the clothes fit but more importantly....how we feel!!! I'm glad I finally started to take pictures. While the change (in my eyes) is minimal - there is a change.

Keep up the great work everyone!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I actually posted a blog about this last night (it's in the popular blogs right now: 134 pounds versus 135 pounds). Basically right now I weigh 1 pound less than I did almost exactly a year ago, and I went from a size 6-8 to a 0-2. I still step on the scale about 2 times a month, but I've stopped recording the weight because it's meaningless.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You look great! I'm so glad you've overcome your ED.

The scale can really be a b*tch! I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from weighing this week. I'm usually a 1-2 times a day weighter. Before taking this hiatus I thought the numbers weren't affecting me, but they were. In the AM I was waiting to eat until later in the morning so that the scale would show a better number. What the heck was the point in that? The silly things we do for the scale. LOL
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!