Brussel Sprouts

Options
summaryzn
summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
So... Im following WW (sorta) and MFP and commit to trying a new veggie this week - veggie of choice was Brussell Sprouts. Prepared 2 lbs on sunday - roasted with oil/salt/pepper and then sauteed them with onions, little chicken broth (didnt want to add more calories via oil) and a splash of cooking white wine. They werent terrible but hey werent to do for either. Nothing quite like the roasted the peppers/squash/ red onion i prepared on the same day. At any rate seems hubby isnt willing to try them so I have been eating them every nite for dinner and sprinkling dried cranberries on them for a little kick.
Does anyone have any recommendations for other healthy (low fat) ways to prepare Brussell Sprouts. I know they are supposed to be SOOO GOOD FOR YOU, so Id rather not give up on them so soon, just know that I dont love them enough to eat them again in the next 2-3 weeks.

Also looking to try another new veggie next week - any thoughts. I've extended my pallet to squash - acorn, yellow, green(zucchini) and butternut and kale. Love them all now thanks to ROASTING (not kale - I add that to other dishes - mostly pasta dishes)! Never had turnips but also dont know if they currently in season.

Your thoughts are highly appreciated!

Replies

• sublimedoll
    Options
    You can probably modify this to fit your specific dietary needs - I am following a low carb/high fat lifestyle, so I didn't need to change anything, but I'm sure you can find what works for you. This was an awesome recipe - even my husband, a brussels sprouts convert, said "if someone says they don't like brussels sprouts, they haven't tried them this way!"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/shredded-brussels-sprouts/

I didn't use pine nuts (b/c I didn't have them at the time) and I used shallots instead of green onions (I sauteed the shallots prior to adding the brussels spourts). Maybe you could sub turkey bacon for real bacon? I'm not sure about the grease/oil...maybe just minimize those as much as possible and add the chicken broth as in your previous attempt? Either way, if you're trying to learn to love brussels sprouts, I do believe that the shredding of them really helps. I just used a cheap ($10) mandolin and it did the job perfectly!!

Good luck =)
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Shredded brussel sprouts make a good salad when tossed with a teaspoon of evoo, lemon juice, cracked black pepper, and either pumpkin seeds or pine nuts!!

as a hot side dish, I cut the brussel sprouts in half, toss with evoo, splash of lemon juice, cracked black pepper, and garlic and then either sautee (no extra oil) or bake in a glass casserole dish.

my intro to brussel sprouts was with green giant's brussel sprouts in a butter sauce. they are INCREDIBLE and very low cal/fat

good luck!!
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i am a steadfast believer that oven roasted brussel sprouts are the way to go!

toss in a little oil Salt and pepper and pop in oven till soft. and i always add either chopped apples or halved grapes. SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!

cauliflower? there are a zillion things you can do with it. cauliflower pizza crust!!!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    chopped apple sounds so good with sprouts!

wait, tell me more about this cauliflower pizza crust!!!