Runners water cut off ?

Options
Hi Runners! Just wold like to hear When do you usually cut off your water intake going into a run. I usually stop an hour before. Usually any time inside that mark will cause stomach cramping for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually stop drinking a lot by about 1 hour before but I still sip a bit in the last 30 min before I leave.
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I don't seem to have a problem with cramping unless I'm really overdoing it, and sometimes not even then. I run some pretty long runs (9-12 miles) so not having water isn't an option. I generally drink something going out the door and often eat something around mile 6 as well.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Is this why I'm having such a bad time with side cramps? I didn't know cutting water off was supposed to happen. Is dehydration an issue?
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This can vary a lot from person to person, much like "what should I eat for breakfast before a race?" The real key it to do some experiments with different amounts of water at different times and see what works best for you and your body.

For me, I normally drink about 1-1.5 cups before going for a run, and then try and have something to drink every 30-40 minutes after that. I've never gotten cramps or been dehydrated using this formula for myself, from nasty winters to the worst Texas summers. YMMV.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    I don't seem to have a problem with cramping unless I'm really overdoing it, and sometimes not even then. I run some pretty long runs (9-12 miles) so not having water isn't an option. I generally drink something going out the door and often eat something around mile 6 as well.

wow that's crazy , What do you eat ? Wow if I could eat something around the 6 mile mark I could probably get a lot further. I need to find some sort of water bottle that is not annoying to carry. All my runs water is cut off within the hour, I do 9-12's as well.
  • mecmic
    Options
    Is this why I'm having such a bad time with side cramps? I didn't know cutting water off was supposed to happen. Is dehydration an issue?

I cut off within the hour and I'm good for long runs (3-12's) , but I'm sure you should drink something in between. I just hate carrying a water bottle.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I generally drink about 16 ounces 30 minutes prior to a run, then nothing. I'll sip during the run if I'm on a treadmill or guzzle a ton of water upon getting back home if I'm not!
  • mecmic
    Options
    This can vary a lot from person to person, much like "what should I eat for breakfast before a race?" The real key it to do some experiments with different amounts of water at different times and see what works best for you and your body.

For me, I normally drink about 1-1.5 cups before going for a run, and then try and have something to drink every 30-40 minutes after that. I've never gotten cramps or been dehydrated using this formula for myself, from nasty winters to the worst Texas summers. YMMV.

Thank you , I hate carrying a water bottle. I need to find something not annoying to carry and wont leave a terrible tan line by being strapped to my arm lol.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Physiologically, you don't really NEED to have water on a run until you are at the point that you are losing more than 3% of your body weight in sweat. That is the point when you start to become dehydrated. That said, you don't have to replace the fluid you've lost, you just need to replenish. It's doesn't have to be at a 1 to 1 ratio. I'll do up to 14 miles without water in cooler conditions, but I may need water for a 10 miler if it's hot.

There was a question about dehydration as well. Real hydration doesn't take place an hour before the run or during the run, it's in the days leading up to it. If you consistently drink a lot of water (I aim for about a gallon a day) and "keep the stream running clear" all the time, then you'll have nothing to worry about.
  • mecmic
    Options
    Physiologically, you don't really NEED to have water on a run until you are at the point that you are losing more than 3% of your body weight in sweat. That is the point when you start to become dehydrated. That said, you don't have to replace the fluid you've lost, you just need to replenish. It's doesn't have to be at a 1 to 1 ratio. I'll do up to 14 miles without water in cooler conditions, but I may need water for a 10 miler if it's hot.

There was a question about dehydration as well. Real hydration doesn't take place an hour before the run or during the run, it's in the days leading up to it. If you consistently drink a lot of water (I aim for about a gallon a day) and "keep the stream running clear" all the time, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

oh good, I do a gallon a day too. I was always wondering if i would get that second wind during those long runs if I had something around the 6 mile mark.