Ladies! Birth Control Question!

Options

Replies

• ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was on Implanon and LOVED it. But, every birth control is different. My good friend also was on Implanon and after four months and an almost non-stop period she had it removed. Everybody responds differently! Maybe this is not very helpful, but if Implanon is a front runner, I'd say go for it!
  • Revenga1980
    Options
    I was on the BC pill Tricyclen since I was a teenager. I have a hard time recommending the pill ever since I had a mini stroke from it. I can't take the pill anymore or risk a full stroke so I have the mirena IUD now. I enjoy the IUD nothing to worry about for 5 years periods are mostly just spotting now, nothing to remember everyday, not impacted by anti biotics. If you can be brave for about 5 mins while it goes in ( yes its not pleasent) then you may really enjoy it also
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Nuva Ring for a few years now and I love it. I was never very good with taking a pill at the same time everyday so this works well for me. Another perk is that if you're ever sick and need antibiotics the ring is still effective. I didn't experience any weight gain. I've managed to lose about 85 pounds since I started it so it was no hindrance. You don't feel it at all when you put it in and you only have to worry about it every 3 weeks.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was on Orthotrycyclin lo for a couple years, and I got pregnant while I was on it, lol

I also am VERY sensitive to hormones, regular pills gave me severe migraines. I currently have Mirena, which isn't bad, but I am considering having it removed for a couple reasons. For one- the hormones in the Mirena have my system off balance, causing severe depression, I have to take medication for it. Also, I have no period what so ever, which typically I would consider a good thing, however, I get pms symptoms for 2-3 weeks at a time instead of just having a period.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've been on Ortho-tricyclen, Apri (generic for Desogen), and now I'm on Sprintec (generic for Ortho-cyclen). I've been on two others (pills), but can't remember what they were.

It's just the normal 28-day pill. I like it because it doesn't affect my moods as much as others have, my skin is beautiful and clear (I've never really had a problem before, but now I rarely even get PMS breakouts), I get a monthly period (I'm scared of the BC that has you skip your period...I like that monthly reminder that I'm not pregnant), and I've generally had no complaints with this one. I think I've been on it two years now. I'm a horrible pill taker, but I just have an alarm set on my phone and take it every night when my alarm goes off.

My sister has been on the depo shot twice - the first time, she stopped because she was having huge blood clots that terrified her while on it, and then the second time, she got pregnant. I've also known people who hated Mirena - said it made them really hormonal and emotional, and one girl got pregnant on it as well.

At one point, I looked into Implanon, but got scared and decided to stick with my Sprintec pills. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to try fixing it.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I have Implanon, currently on my 3rd, I had a little bleeding to start with and a little at each change over but that is it. Had no problems with it and recommeded it to a few friends who had problems with the injections.
    I was on the pill before: used Microgynon too but it gave my migraine, was put on to Brevinor - but was told by a new GP I couldn't take it due to my previous migraine history (demonstrates an increased chance of stroke)......
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I never understood what's so good about a bc that totally stops you're cycle.

why not? I loved not having a cycle

Even though I hate it..I just feel like it's natural. *shrugs*
  • Juxtaposie
    Options
    I have had my mirena for about four months now and so far, I LOVE it. I had a little bit of an issue with regard to insertion due to the size of my cervix and so it hurt pretty good while they were putting it in. However, after a day of adjustment, I've not felt it since. The bonus of not having to take a pill every day is magical for me since I forget half the time and then...well, what's the point?

I tried the depo shots, they made me gain weight like crazy, and worse than that, I got mean. Really...really nasty mean on them. It messed with my hormones WAY too much for me to want to continue down that path.

The ones that reccomend you get some ideas of what you want and then talk to you doctor are spot on.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    After two years off OBC, I just went back on Ortho, no side effects other than my periods are still messed up but its only my second month back on. Before I used the Nuva Ring and loved it until I got too fat to insert it properly, not because of the ring but bad eating habits. I actually had no periods on Nuva Ring either and it was wonderful, I just had to be careful about marking my calendar. Now I have an alarm on my phone that goes off until I stop it after I take my pill, works well for me.

And actually since going back on Ortho my acne has improved and I've lost weight by eating right.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I agree that is the good part. Your body does not need to have a monthly cycle. You dont have to have pms or be miserable.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use Lo-Estrin. That is the best one I have ever had. I have been on a lot of different types of BC becuase my cramps are very severe and my body becomes almost immune to some of these BCs. I barely have a period if I even have one at all and it has a very low dose of hormones. It is a little pricey because there is no generic for it yet. I love it though. :)
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I almost hurt myself and my daughter on Yaz. It was horrible. The thoughts that went through my head were terrible. After being off of it for a week it was like I woke up from a daze. So just be careful. I'm on OrthTryCyclen right now but thinking about changing to something to where I only get a period every 3 months. This every 3 weeks is getting old. I want an IUD but my insurance doesn't cover it.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    After having my daughter (she is going to be 3 next month) I did NFP (Natural Family Planning) so I was not using anything just payed attention to my period and stayed clear on "not safe" days. Well with work and the kids it got a little hard to keep track after a while so I decided to go in and talk to my doctor. I didnt want anything with with hormones so I was really leaning to get the paraguard but my husband still thinks he can convince me to have more kids (we have 3 now). So instead of busting his bubble and getting the paraguard (even though it can be removed) I opted for the nuva ring. I love it my obgyn said it was the lowest one with hormones I have been on it for almost a year now and I love it I have successufly lost weight, my face is cleared than what it used to be before, and my periods last between 3-4 days. Now like someone said everyone is different so we all get different reactions do your reasearch.
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    DO NOT USE NUVARING!!!!! i'm a 42 yr old who has never smoked a day in her life and was on bc pills from ages 16-40 - the thought of not having to take a pill everyday was REALLY appealing to me so i went on Nuvaring at the suggestion of my doctor. Well 14 months later, this past Christmas, I ended up in ICU for 2 days and remained in the hospital for a week. I had 4 extremely large blood clots in my lungs & my Oxygen level was so low when they admitted me that they were unsure how I even walked in the door. Not to mention I also had a DVT in my leg that was headed in the direction of my lungs. They told me another 2 days without treatment and I probably would've dropped dead. The pulmonologist who came to see me in ICU asked what bc I was on and when I said Nuvaring he immediately told me if you have one in now GET IT OUT and never use it again. There is no family history of blood clots/blood disorders or anything so there was no apparant reason I should've developed this other than "nuvaring has a higher instance of pulmonary embolisms forming due to an extra blood clotting hormone that is added". At the time I started taking it, it had the same generic warning that the majority of bc pills have which is why i thought it would be ok since i had been on those for 24 years. The company has since "up'd" the warning to a higher risk because several women have died and there are 922 pending lawsuits against the company who makes it because they did not effectively warn women of the dangers until recently. There is also speculation from the FDA & NIH that they knew about these risks but "masked" the findings in clinical trials because they thought the ring probably would not get approved if they knew the whole truth. i've been doing research since my hospitalization & have found that there are 17, 18, 19 yr old girls who are ending up in the hospital with these same PE's and DVT's due to this ring so believe me, it's not worth your life. I was on it for a year before I had my problems with it - some people are only on it a few months before there are problems and some never have problems but I don't think that's a chance anyone should take now that the information is out there. I'm doing what I can to fight to have it taken off of the market - no one should DIE from using birth control.....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I just had tumours removed off my liver along with 75% of my liver removed, thanks to birth control pills. Its a rare side effect of all birth control pills. Only option available is a none hormone IUD, but I hear the none hormone ones can make periods a lot worse so I'm worried about that as they are pretty bad anyway. If anyone has had the none hormone one please pm me and tell me your experience! Zara x
  • erin_k2012
    Options
    When my daughters were born (twins) I decided to go on Mirena for convenience. I had it placed about 3 months after the birth of my daughters... Not long after I started to feel symptoms of depression as well as an extreme increase in headaches and migraines. My friends, family and doctors said it was hormones and maybe postpartum. I gained more weight after the birth of my children than during. (lost all of the baby weight before leaving the hospital). After about a two year period I started to feel better and forgot about it. In November I had my Mirena replaced (5 yr mark). Around the end of January I started with the same symptoms again. Increase in migraines, headaches, weight gain and depression. I have a new PCP now and I discussed it with her last week. I am getting the Mirena out Friday. Only 5-10% of women have reported these side effects but this raises the question, how many other women were told the things that they had were hormonal from the pregnancy and not possibly from the Mirena? I was in the ER dozens of times with debilitating migraines and asked every time if it could be the mirena... Everyone always said no.

Talk with your Doctor and do your own research. :0)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    As you can see, every BODY is different. I've been on multiple types of birth control with good and bad side effects. It's important to remember that there is a RISK with anything, so talk to your doctor. It's also important to remember that being pregnant is also full of risk. Good luck to you.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    All birth controls can increase the risk of blood clots (in response to the post that strongly advertises not to use the Nuva Ring). These risks for all birth controls are real, should be taken seriously, and can be a horribly dangerous thing. To the poster, I am sorry that you had to suffer from these awful side effects.

I have been on the Nuva Ring for 7 years and personally think it is the bee's knees. I would never swap back to a pill. I may eventually opt for an IUD, but for the time being, I prefer to have regular yet light periods.

May I also suggest looking into the Diva Cup or another menstrual cup to replace your use of tampons! Best decision I ever made! Cleanest periods I have ever had! And they are the best for working out, camping, hiking AND for the environment!
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i have a non hormonal, old style copper coil - i can't have anything hormonal because it SERIOUSLY messes with my appetite/weight. the first few periods are heavier after it's inserted - which also isn't a partcularly fun way to spend an afternoon - but they return to normal and i find the pros far outweigh the cons since once it's in you don't have to worry for the next 10 years or so (mine is designed to last that long - but some are only 5 years). also i wouldn't trust ANY source of birth control that actually stops your periods, since after i came off the injection it took 5 YEARS to conceive our first child back in the day. not a fan of the idea of having my body messed up again by hormones - i have enough of my own to deal with!!!

hope that helps xxx
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Even though I hate it..I just feel like it's natural. *shrugs*

I agree that being in a natural state is the best way to go, but I guess it's the toss up of the fear of getting pregnant vs. the fear of artificial hormones screwing up my body. Six to one, half dozen to the other. :ohwell: