Carb cycling?

Options
Has anyone heard of it or tried it? Has it worked for you? My trainer has been talking to me about cycling my carbs to lose body fat. For 3 days you are to eat as little to no carbs at all, but get as much protein as you can. On day 4 you carb load, the more carbs you consume the better. Then the next day you are back to all protein, no carbs. I guess it is something that body builders due to cut fat before a competition. He said it is safe and healthy. Has anyone had any success with this plan and is it worth it? I am still skeptical. Thanks.

Replies

• shannonperry13
    Options
    bump for later.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I apologize, I have no info for you, but I would love to hear some results..
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There are several variations you can do with regards to carb cycling, the main idea behind it is to get your body to use fat stores for energy since the carbs wont be readily available to use. you will definitley notice a decrease in energy with this depending on how many low carb days you have per week, personally it wasnt worth it as i had no energy to workout but depending on your routine and goals its a viable option.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    wow, um, I would really want to know more about that.

I am low carb all the time and a recovered diabetic.

And under monthly Dr care. (so before anybody flames me, my blood work is better than yours.)

Not exactly sure what the desired biological reaction is supposed to be. Not long enough low carb to be ketogenic, then blasting it with carbs anyway. Sounds interesting.

And I have tons of energy and training for a triathlon in August.
  • migueljr17
    migueljr17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently cycling my carbs. I am 175lbs and the lowest I go is 75g of carbs and always stick to 1.5 - 2g of protein per body weight. My low carb day is usually a cardio day. My highest days are when I do legs and when I work muscles that I really want bigger or that need work. The other days I fluctuate in between just to mix it up. It works pretty well for me. As far as it being healthy or not, that I'm not so sure but I have done the Keto Diet where you consume only 50g of carbs daily so 75g of carbs once a week isnt too bad. And of course always make your carbs 100% whole grain.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK, I do not do this exactly, but I sort of do. I eat 100 carbs per day. Then on Friday, I call this my cheat day. I eat whatever I want. I spike my calories and my carbs. I like doing this because mentally, it helps to know that I can eat fun stuff on Friday, but I keep reading how carb cycling and/or zigzag diet is great. That way your body does not get used to your low calorie or low carb diet.

I even read one lady that does low carb for 5 weeks, then one week she eats whatever.

Sorry that I do not have more. I do think doing no carbs for 3 days would be difficult...maybe you can tweak it to make it easier on your lifestyle.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just recently started carb cycling, but a little different than you describe.

Long story short, I did really well losing weight and then quickly gained it all back - not sure why yet, likely life stressors and just not eating as well as I thought. As of right now, no matter what I do, I lose and gain the same 2 - 5 lbs, week after week.

I just read Choose to Lose by Chris Powell. It's an every other day sorta of thing. Sunday is a free day (eat what you want, if you want) & rest day. Monday is low carb, tuesday high, wednesday low, thursday high, friday low, saturday high. You eat a good filling breakfast of protein and carbs every day. Your low carb days are filled with protein, veggies, and good fats. You eat 5 small meals, every 3 hours. High carb days are complex carbs with every meal., and protein too, of course. On the low carb days, you do your strength training (after a high carb day), and you get cardio 6 days a week. You follow this for 3 weeks then do a "slingshot week" which is high carbs every day for that week, to confuse your body basically. That's the basics.

In one week I lost 2.2 lbs, and as of this week, it's still off - that's a major feat for me right now! This is just following the high/low days. I haven't gotten back into the groove of working out yet. I'm on week 2 and I'm still down, and the scale is going down more. So, can't wait to see what happens when I add in exercise. So far, it's working, and it's pretty darn easy to incorporate. I highly recommend the book for more info and insight - quick and easy read. It's something I can stick to for sure.

Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this because I've been trying it but I didn't know it was a real 'thing." I somehow ended up with conflicting fitness goals (how awful! :laugh: ) and I am trying to lose a little more body fat but I am also training for a marathon. Cutting carbs works wonders for leaning out (not cutting completely- just reducing) but on long run days I NEED those carbs. So basically I've been trying to do low carb on my alternate workout days and higher carb the night before a long run and on long run days. I haven't done it long enough to notice a difference yet. Anyone have a similar experience?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have tried carb cycling twice since completeing Jamie Eason's LiveFit program. Here are some calculators and meal guides for you to do it:

HIGH CARB CALCULATOR:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-3-day-75.html

LOW CARB CALCULATOR:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-3-day-76.html

I had success both times I did carb cycling. It's only recommended for you to do it 2-3 weeks at a time because any longer will deplete more muscle than you want. The results you get are pretty good and you can really see how much you've leaned out and show off all your hard earned work. Try it! It does take extra planning but if I can do it, you can too. The first time might be a trial period for you but that's okay, it's not for the faint at heart! Carb cycling is great for when you have an event coming up where you really want to get shredded and show off ;)

Good luck!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I don't have any studies done on it to quote or long term experiments, etc; however, from personal experience I have had success. I have done my own little variation on it but for about 5 days I eat “really well.” With lean protein meats (salmon, chicken, porkchops etc) with spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc., cottage cheese, greek yogurt, jello, etc as snacks. And then have a day or two of carbs! Yay! Plus your day of carbs starts to feel like your cheat days, even though you’re not eating really all that badly.
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer to limit my carbs to 100 grams a day and make them more at the beginning 1/2 of the day instead of the end... this I find is easier to do on days where I don't exercise much, but when exercise calories come into play and I'm suppose to eat 1800-2000 calories... VERY HARD to stay below that 100 gram amount.

Is Low carb a relative term when it comes to % of calories each day? I mean 100 grams of carbs out of 1200 calories is very different on a body than 100 grams of carbs on 2000 calories, right?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the OP great topic!
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer to limit my carbs to 100 grams a day and make them more at the beginning 1/2 of the day instead of the end... this I find is easier to do on days where I don't exercise much, but when exercise calories come into play and I'm suppose to eat 1800-2000 calories... VERY HARD to stay below that 100 gram amount.

Is Low carb a relative term when it comes to % of calories each day? I mean 100 grams of carbs out of 1200 calories is very different on a body than 100 grams of carbs on 2000 calories, right?

kinda...
    at a cetain level of carbs, your body will deplete it's available stores of glucose. But 100g isn't low enough for that. It really boils down to insulin control and at what level your body isn't dumping insulin out to convert fat into sugars and sugars into fat for storage. I keep my daily macros at 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb and eat 1500 cal a day.
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options

kinda...
    at a cetain level of carbs, your body will deplete it's available stores of glucose. But 100g isn't low enough for that. It really boils down to insulin control and at what level your body isn't dumping insulin out to convert fat into sugars and sugars into fat for storage. I keep my daily macros at 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb and eat 1500 cal a day.

May I ask, what does your food diary look like that gets to those calories but only 10% carbs? And not as much protein as I expected.

Thanks for the input!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get the cycling thing but from what I've personally found when I do slip up or decide to have a "cheat day" where I eat grains: high carb, low nutritional value, bloating and cravings for junk and sweets kick in for the following few days. For our local pizza joint this is worth it, but not much else it.

But if I stick to getting my carbs from lots of fruits and veggies and avoid added sugar I feel great and don't fall into the cravings cycle.

Just my two cents.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information. I feel a little better about it now. I think I will have to sit down and figure out a plan of attack before I dive in with both feet. Hopefully by next I can get going. Thanks KittieLea for the websites. Thoughs are going to be so helpful.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're on FB or not but check out the following links ... great info.
    I've been doing a tonne of research about this and I have a few MFP peeps who "cycle" on a regular basis and have great results. A friend of mine is also doing this program, she's eating incredibly well and has dropped 7 lbs this past week (not including the inches she's lost). I'm certain that there are people who will chirp that this isn't a healthy weight loss in a week but from what I see, she's full of energy and feeling like a million bucks and is not depriving herself of the things she loves. She says it's very easy to follow and is thoroughly enjoying it. She knows this isn't a permanent lifestyle but it is definitely putting her on the right track.

I've just ordered his book "Page Cycle Diet".

https://www.facebook.com/pagecyclediet
    http://pagecyclediet.com/Home.html

Best of luck !!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. Check my diary if you would like.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I am trying 20% carbs on my rest days, and 40% on my lift days... I like it so far!