Website that tells me a good weight for my age/height?

Options
Does anyone know of a good website that is used often to help with determining what is a good weight for age/height?

The reason I ask is because I went to the doctors recently and told him I was trying to lose weight. He looked on some chart he was holding and told me for a woman my height (5'1) and my age (30 years old) I probably don't want to weigh less than 116. He said if I got lower than that I might look too thin or 'sick.'

Does that seem reasonable or right? According to MFP my BMI is 22.6 (the healthy range) and my BMR is 1199. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion so that is why I am asking:smile: .

Replies

• thomas822
    Options
    wish they had something on here to tell us that information
  • toxicmikki
    toxicmikki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find this website has a decent weight calculator and some other usefull info as well:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Hope that helps :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Here's the goverment's BMI calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Basically enter your height and keep dropping the weight number until the BMI gets into the normal weight range (below 25).

Please note that normal BMI isn't the be-all and end-all of being healthy though. For example, some extremely fit athletes can have "overweight" BMIs just because they carry a lot more lean muscle than the everyday Joe. But it's a good place for the ordinary person to set a rough goal from.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those that replied with good advice:flowerforyou: .
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is a good tool IF you know your bodyfat percentage now and goal body fat percentage:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is no accurate way to be given a magic number as there are a variety of factors at play... - bone structure, body composition, body fat % and just plain old genetics...

You could get to 116 and look just fine - or you could look anorexic...you could do a bunch of strength training and actually weigh 130 and be more fit and able to fit into smaller clothes then if you were 116.

I am 5'3 and weigh about 176 - but I am a very solid 176...I could stand to loose 10-15 more lbs...but if I lost more than that i would look probably sickly...I have had my lean body mass calculated and it came out to be about 130 (I have what they consider a large bone structure and quite muscular) with a body fat % of 26%

But according to "charts" my ideal weight is 135-140 lbs...ummmm ain't ever going to happen unless I get really ill...

You best bet is to find someplace that can measure your body fat % that is a better tool than a weight on a scale...
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No website can tell you that. Your BMI is the normal range, so a lot of site will say that you are at a good weight. With that said, are you happy with your weight? Actually more importantly, are you happy with your body? You have to answer those questions and establish your goal from there.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    healthstatus.com

Hope this helps. :smile: