Fueling your body enough for high calorie burns

Options
Insanity starts tonight - Did the fit test last night. Those of you who workout daily and burn a lot, I need some advice.

My boyfriend and I are wanting to follow the Insanity program as closely as possible in hopes to get max results, which has me doing it 6days on 1 day off. I am also still wanting to do my interval jogging at least 2-3 times a week, plus walking and anything else that comes up. This all means I will be burning quite a bit of calories weekly and even daily on the day I do more that just insanity. (IF I CAN MANAGE 6days a week. I am hoping I can!)

I don't normally plug in my workouts until after I complete them since I don't really know how many calories I will actually burn. (I plan on buying a HRM soon).

How many calories should I aim to eat throughout the day to make sure I fuel myself enough for my nightly workouts. An extra 300? above MFP goal. For me right now it says a daily goal of 1350. I may need to go back and look at the goal setting MFP is set too.

With Insanity I would think I'd burn at least 300, give or take. Pending on how many breaks I take, plus on the days I interval jog, I typically burn about 350-380 pending on how long I go. That's a potential 600-700 cal burn. I certainly won't be able to consume that in my evening snack after my workouts.

I am planning my meals out for the day. Still a work in progress, but feel free to check it out. Should I add more. I think right now I am at 1500 something without workouts added. I don't know how I could eat more than this! If I burn 600 tonight, my net will be down to under 1000. Which worries me.

I've done the calculation that Insanity suggests in their book and at a Moderative Exercise and if I understood this right it says I should net at about 1600.

If I look at my diary, I need to eat almost 500 more calories to net 2000 without the exercises added since tonight alone I will probably burn about 600+ cals.

I hope this makes some sense...really hard to explain what I am thinking in my head.

I just do not want to eat too little, and not looking for an exact number, just rough estimate to go on. I have been down that road before of eating to little and not eating my exercise calories back and it leads to headaches, nasuea, soreness and I feeling like crap.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Correction (apparently I can't do math right)

BMR according to Insanity (Harris Benefict Equation) = 1534.65 at rest.

Moderately Active (3-5days/wk) = 2378.71
    2378.71 - 500 (for weight loss) = total 1878.71

Highly Actuive (6-7days/wk) = 2608.91
    2608.91 - 500 = total 2108.91

So with that fixed now what.... lol
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i don't have much to add, really, except i highly recommend getting the polar ft4 or ft7! i love my HRM and would be lost without it.....makes working out more rewarding (and educational!).
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing month 1 of Insanity. I'm in good shape..... work out consistently for the past 6 or 7 years, have run marathons, etc. Insanity is pretty demanding physically mainly because of all the jumping. I would probably not add any running to it. I have been running occasionally since starting the program, but only 3 miles or less..... and there is never any pressure. In other words, I am not training for anything.

Also, as an FYI - I burn between 300-350 calories per session of Insanity in month 1. Not sure what I will burn for the longer workouts in month 2.

For your diet - I would probably aim to eat between 1500-1900 per day. That falls between your BMR and TDEE for moderately active. You don't want to overestimate TDEE if you are trying to lose weight.

HTH.
  • cbart2818
    Options
    i don't have much to add, really, except i highly recommend getting the polar ft4 or ft7! i love my HRM and would be lost without it.....makes working out more rewarding (and educational!).

I will be getting one of these very very soon!! : ) Not that I NEED to know exact calories burned, although much easier to mange food. I also make sure I am not pushing to hard or not pushy hard enough. So many people advise on getting one, so I am. As soon as I can get to the store and hope they have it in stock : ) Online ordering costs too much for shipping
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a stand still on weight loss due to not eating enough I have high calorie burns 2 or 3 times a week, I have started on protein shakes to help recover and to up calories, when I eat like I'm supposed to I have trouble getting enough calories, of course when you eat junk you feel like junk and have too many calories. so with that being said my best weight loss is when I eat enough to keep my body fueled for what I do. I stopped waiting till the end of the day to log my activity that way I know what to eat and how much, plus I eat at least 6 times a day some days 8. I hope that helps I of course am no expert. Will you let me know how that program works for you, I want to get it just not sure if I will be able to handle it. LOL
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree very much love love it
  • cbart2818
    Options
    I am just finishing month 1 of Insanity. I'm in good shape..... work out consistently for the past 6 or 7 years, have run marathons, etc. Insanity is pretty demanding physically mainly because of all the jumping. I would probably not add any running to it. I have been running occasionally since starting the program, but only 3 miles or less..... and there is never any pressure. In other words, I am not training for anything.

Also, as an FYI - I burn between 300-350 calories per session of Insanity in month 1. Not sure what I will burn for the longer workouts in month 2.

For your diet - I would probably aim to eat between 1500-1900 per day. That falls between your BMR and TDEE for moderately active. You don't want to overestimate TDEE if you are trying to lose weight.

HTH.

Thanks! Kinds what I was thinking I should aim for : ) Now to eat that much.....:sick: I was going to stop interval jog/walk but I have a partner who I team up with and I don't want to leave her hanging. I won't be jogging at home on my own if I can't handle it. But I don't want to leave her to do her own thing... were a team and I can't do that do her!! :smile: So minimum 2 times a week.

I may be setting the bar high with Insanity - but I will never know if I can do it unless I try - hence this post. I want to make sure I eat enough to keep my body rev'd up!
  • cbart2818
    Options
    I had a stand still on weight loss due to not eating enough I have high calorie burns 2 or 3 times a week, I have started on protein shakes to help recover and to up calories, when I eat like I'm supposed to I have trouble getting enough calories, of course when you eat junk you feel like junk and have too many calories. so with that being said my best weight loss is when I eat enough to keep my body fueled for what I do. I stopped waiting till the end of the day to log my activity that way I know what to eat and how much, plus I eat at least 6 times a day some days 8. I hope that helps I of course am no expert. Will you let me know how that program works for you, I want to get it just not sure if I will be able to handle it. LOL

Once I get a HRM, I will have a closer idea as to how much I will burn, then I will log ahead of time. Its a good approach I think. I will probably under estimating a bit until the actually number appears on my HRM. Then just fix it after.
  • cbart2818
    Options
    Will you let me know how that program works for you, I want to get it just not sure if I will be able to handle it. LOL

Sent a friend request. I can keep you updated on how it is. I'll probably die, but I have to at least try it!
  • I am sure you already know this. HR monitors are such a great tool, not only can you see calories burned but you might be burning way more or less than you think and if you are stalling out in your weight loss or having issues that should help keep you on track. PLUS if you set a calorie goal for your work out it will help you push yourself. I use the NB4 and if you go on Amazon.com you may be able to get free shipping.
  • cbart2818
    Options
    I am sure you already know this. HR monitors are such a great tool, not only can you see calories burned but you might be burning way more or less than you think and if you are stalling out in your weight loss or having issues that should help keep you on track. PLUS if you set a calorie goal for your work out it will help you push yourself. I use the NB4 and if you go on Amazon.com you may be able to get free shipping.

Thanks! - I never considered getting one until I joined MFP. Now I see all the more reason TO invest in one. I want to get the most out of my workout.