Lap Swimming Etiquette Question

Options
I have a potentially stupid question. I don't go to pools often. I prefer swimming in the lake, but the weather has yet to decide to cooperate with me. There's an indoor pool I go to when I'm really in the mood to swim. It's on the small side. There are two lanes, and a small shallower area. I got there, played in the shallow area for about 15 minutes until a lane opened up and started lap swimming. Within about five minutes, a woman came out of the dressing room and stood at the edge of the pool staring at me. After a moment she went into the shallow end. Another five minutes goes by and she gets back out of the pool, comes around to the end of my lane and waits for me. When I get to that end, she informs me that I need to get out of the lane, its her turn now.

She informed me that etiquette in a public pool dictates that if I see someone waiting for the lane, I swim for five more minutes and let them have it. I asked her what happens then? Does she swim for five minutes and then it's my turn again? She didn't really answer, just barked at me that she's going to get a manager and make me move. I did notice she never asked the man swimming in the other lane to move. I re-read the pool rules on the way out and there's nothing about it in the written rules.

So my question for people who frequently swim in public pools: in your area, are there any kind of unwritten rules like that? I know in the local gyms, there's a 30 minute limit on machines if people are waiting, so if anything I would consider that to apply in lane swimming too, but like I said: I don't usually swim in public pools to know if there are understood rules like that.

Replies

• Jesslhernandez
    Jesslhernandez Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    im a big swimmer and ive never heard of this. sounds like she was just being VERY rude. your allowed to have a lane for more than 5 minutes . now all day that is a tad bit rude , but you waited your turn to get the lane. my advice ask the manager next time and if this lady approches you tell her you already spoke with the manager. im thinking shes been a frequent swimmer noticed you were new and bullied you out of your lane. not cool, im sorry.
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to swim competitively and would go to the pool during regular hours to swim laps from time to time. I just shared a lane with the other people swimming (if there are more than 2 or 3 people in a lane it can get weird if you're swimming at different paces, but normally there are only a couple of people there) -- and treated it like driving. I would always swim on the right side of the lane. If the other person swimming is much faster or slower than you, you could also each pick a side and stick to that instead.

Sorry that lady was so rude!
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I didn't leave my lane until I was good and ready. I figure, if she was going to threaten to get the manager on me, then the only person I was going to move for would be the manager. LOL. I was just afraid I breached some sort of unknown (by me) etiquette by not giving up the lane.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    here in the uk public swimming pools tend to be around 20 m long and there are usually a couple of lanes marked off with other areas for causal swimmers/kids etc. Lane sharing is common and you are expected to swim clockwise (the lanes are just about large enough to pass in) Normally I would chose a lane with someone swimming around my pace and time getting in so that they are at the other end! Failing that I would swim in the non marked section. I would not expect to leave a lane after 5 mins and think it as other poster said, you got someone who comes in all the time and thinks she owns the pool! Next time just smile sweetly and leave her to get the manager. After all you have the same rights in there and if you dont respond she cant argue lol
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I used to swim competitively and would go to the pool during regular hours to swim laps from time to time. I just shared a lane with the other people swimming (if there are more than 2 or 3 people in a lane it can get weird if you're swimming at different paces, but normally there are only a couple of people there) -- and treated it like driving. I would always swim on the right side of the lane. If the other person swimming is much faster or slower than you, you could also each pick a side and stick to that instead.

^^this^^^ sharing lanes is quite common, this rude woman was out of line, call BS on her next time and don't let it discourage you from swimming.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she was being rude and didn't know what she was talking about. The etiquette is to shar ethe lane, either circle swim or split the lane. People either always politely ask if they can join a lane or if you're in a lane and see someone hovering, offer them to join. Doesn't have to be complicated, the whole if you see someone waiting you have 5 more minutes is ridiculous.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My children swim both both swimming club and the local triathlon academy, its a regular 25m pool, and i have never heard any so crazy, glad you stuck your ground, the etiquette is you are behind someone and you wish to over take you tap them on the foot and they should move over to let you past.
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    everyone here is correct- 3 or 4 people can share a lane fairly comfortably if you are swimming at the same pace. passing is also perfectly acceptable. she sounds like she doesn't swim very often herself!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    No such rule...However sharing a lane is quite common and an accepted practice. Its polite to ask to share a lane...Any one ever tell me to leave before my workout was done though and I would add some shadow boxing to my workout minus the shadow
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Well where I swim there is a big pool and about 3 lanes , I always swim in the lanes and they fit about two people in so if someone wants to use the lane I'm in they can. Seems a bit rude I might be judging unfairly of this person but it seems as if she is one of these people with a self-inflated importance that only certain rules apply to them benefiting them , if this is the case call her up on it I doubt she'll pursue it any further.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    it annoys me when the "regulars" try to bully you out of your exercise.
    the appropriate "pool etiquette" would be to share the lane and either circle swim or split the lane, usually with someone who swims a similar pace to you.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

^^^ This! I did the same - that was how we rolled when we practiced before meets. She was incredibly rude and making her own rules up.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard! I have been a swimmer all my life, my husband is a swimming coach, and we both work partime at a simming centric gym (that's where I teach my classes) and that lady is crazy pants! Swimming ettiquette is to share the lane either by splitting the lane down the middle; you stay on your half and I'll stay on mine. When you're practicing with a team the tendency is to then find someone you are evenly matched with and circle swim your sets.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    She probably went to the manager and he was like, "Yeah lady, I've never heard of that rule before. You'll have to share the lane like everyone else" :P
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I swim laps at the public pool, yes you share a lane with people swimming the same pace. They have lanes that have different speeds posted. Fast, Continuous and slow/water running. I think that woman was just plain rude!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I didn't leave my lane until I was good and ready. I figure, if she was going to threaten to get the manager on me, then the only person I was going to move for would be the manager. LOL. I was just afraid I breached some sort of unknown (by me) etiquette by not giving up the lane.

Good for you! She was completely out of line! How did she resolve it?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Oh dear goodness...

I work as a swim coach and without fail, once a week, some pool patron gets PO'd because the little critters are using a lane or two that they would like to use. I have 5+ kids in one lane at a time, and you're telling me that you can't share a lane with one adult?!

Seriously though, it is called circle swimming. Always swim on the right, it is like driving a car. When someone is too slow go around them. It isn't rocket science. In fact, if there are only 2 people in the lane, you pick a side and stay there.

When I was in college we had a 6 lane pool and 50 swimmers on the team... you do the math. If we can swim 8-9 grown adults in a lane at a time, you can't complain about sharing a lane.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That's actually kind-of funny. I can't believe she had the guts to tell you to swim for 5 minutes then leave.

You're supposed to always share lanes when swimming during busy times, and some people like to circle swim (down on the right, back on the left or vice versa) or stick to one side of the lane (always stay on the right or left side). I usually just ask the person getting in what they prefer.

That was one rude lady. She probably comes the same time every day and thought you wouldn't know any better. People can be a bit territorial. Good for you for sticking with it and not letting her ruin your swim! :)
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    She was definitely rude!

If I see someone waiting and I've done about 1/2 hour, I will give up my lane for them. But I'm there to get my exercise in too, and under 1/2 hour is just a waste of my time, driving there, changing, etc.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have never ever heard of this! Basically, if you are considerate and keep to the right as you swim, you should be able to share the lane with up to 5 other people. At the pool I go to, there is one guy who wears hand flippers and splashes around like crazy, but we all just work around him.