Muscle soreness...two days later?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I used to get sore the day after a good workout. Now I am finding that I get sore two days later (after strength training). I am 40 years old...is this just the result of a slower metabolism?

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I always feel it the most two days later rather than the day after, don't recall if it used to be just one day after, don't think so.... I'm 27
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're still sore after two days I'd say you over did it. Try using lighter weights and doing a higher number of reps instead of pushing your muscles too hard. You should feel worked out, maybe a bit tight but you shouldn't be in pain two days later. Also remember to do a cool down and thorough stretch at the end of every workout.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as you get older it takes longer for your muscles to recuperate. Not sure how accurate that is.

Also, I agree that you may have over did it. Sometimes I'll overdo it after a long time off and I'll feel it for almost 3 days!
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and I began noticing that I *start* feeling sore two days later. It always catches me by surprise!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    check the link about DOMS.. 2 days later is always a sign of a great workout!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    it's doms. day 2 I'm almost always worse. means you're doing it right
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm always much mroe sore two days after than the day after. Just a part of a hard work out!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am usually sore 36-48 hours after a hard workout. Today is Wednesday and I am sore everywhere from a Mountain Bike ride Monday!!! Hopefully it will end tomorrow:huh:
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'm 21, and I usually don't get sore until a day or so after the workouts. That usually goes away though after warming up in the mornings =)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree on doing it right. If you have immediate soreness, you know you overdid it.

I notice my LEGS stay sore for 100 years longer. :(
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm always more sore two days later...unless I work through it, not that's not true it still kicks my booty.
  • jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    I always get hit on the second day but it goes quick
  • bugsy2011
    bugsy2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer, he would tell me to expect my muscles to be sore two days after my workout--not the day after. I have no idea why, but I have consistently found this to be the case for me. For me, I know to expect the worst pain on day two and then it subsides. . . Maybe try heading to a sauna???
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and I often feel muscle soreness even more so on the second day. Idk why but if i do get sore, its usually mild the first day and I can barely move on the second day.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    sometimes takes me 4 or 5 days to start feeling better
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as you get older it takes longer for your muscles to recuperate. Not sure how accurate that is.

Also, I agree that you may have over did it. Sometimes I'll overdo it after a long time off and I'll feel it for almost 3 days!

This is true, your muscles will need more time to recuperate. Adding a protein drink can help that.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Even when I was lifting super heavy as a teenager and in my early 20s I was ALWAYS more sore 2 days after a workout. This is normal and nothing to worry about. Don't lighten the weight. If I could barely move 2 days after I knew that I did it right.

I also found that my sore days were some of my best lifting days.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you're still sore after two days I'd say you over did it. Try using lighter weights and doing a higher number of reps instead of pushing your muscles too hard. You should feel worked out, maybe a bit tight but you shouldn't be in pain two days later. Also remember to do a cool down and thorough stretch at the end of every workout.

Hope you feel better soon!

Not true. It's delayed onset muscle soreness. It happens to me a lot. Hell sometimes I'm sore three days later typically when I do a really good leg workout. It doesn't necessarily mean you over did it.