I really want to be able to work my abs...but.....

Options
I would love to put some abdominal work into my strength training, but for the past 5 years or so every time I try to do a crunch, or any sort of strenuous ab. work I want to throw up. It comes on pretty strong about 10 crunches in and doesn't relent. Has anyone else had problems with this? I have seen a doctor about it, and everything was fine.

So what gives?
Are there other good ab training practices that I can incorporate. I especially would love some lower ab, (mommy tummy) ideas.

Thanks.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's bizarre... Try an ab roller.
    If you toss your cookies, at least you'll be facing down
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are great for the core. And planks.
  • divilibitz
    Options
    First of all you should see your Doctor so that he can rule out any issues such as a weak stomach sphincter muscle (can be common after pregnancy and also if you are overweight). If all checks out ok you should try and do your ab crunches on an empty stomach and just sip water frequently during exercise, Don't gulp it down. :happy:
  • Phenix_Ablaze
    Phenix_Ablaze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've never felt sick while doing ab exercises so I can't relate there. I am going to second what someone said above that "planks" are a killer ab exercise! And you don't do any crunching per say with those. The very lower abs are usually worked by doing reverse crunch type exercises... i.e. Lay on your back and bring your knees up then straighten your legs out but don't let them touch the ground (let them hover for a second about an inch above the floor).... also, laying on back and peddling your feet like riding a bike... also scissors - laying on your back with your feet straight out hovering just above the floor and spreading your feet out and back together. These are all things that should work your lower abs. Hopefully you can find something that doesn't upset your tummy too much. I also love "training camps" or aka "mason twist" ... sit with butt on the ground, knees bent slightly but feet off the ground, leaning back at a 45 degree angle and take both hands to touch the floor back and forth on each side of you. I think this is more of an upper ab and obliques workout though.

Good luck!
    ~Nicole
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple my trainer has me do and it's pretty intense:

get a chair that's about 2-3 ft high and put your hands on the edge of the seat with your butt sticking up slowly walk out so your spine neck and butt are all in a line (inclined plank basically) then squeeze your butt cheeks together like you're trying to hold a hundred dollar bill in them (her words, only she said 500 euro note) as you are doing that contract your pelvic floor muscles and bring your belly button towards your spine. It should feel a little like you are making your tail bone round. Like if you were a cat or dog or something with it's tail between it's legs. Everything should be tight, Neck long, chin in, shoulders down. Hold as long as you can. This one kills me every time.

OR stand on one leg and bring the other up so your thigh is parallel with the floor kick your lower leg out as high as you can. Strive to make your whole leg straight and parallel with the floor. For an extra challenge try doing it on a mat. The balancing thing is supposed to work your core according to my trainer.

Those are the two lower ab exercises I do not on the floor. Have you tried "hip hop abs" I hear it's supposed to be really good without getting you down on the floor. My niece had good results with it.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do planks instead.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    First of all you should see your Doctor so that he can rule out any issues such as a weak stomach sphincter muscle (can be common after pregnancy and also if you are overweight). If all checks out ok you should try and do your ab crunches on an empty stomach and just sip water frequently during exercise, Don't gulp it down. :happy:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have seen a doctor about it. Everything checked out fine. I have had two kids, but I am not overweight.

I will try the planks, and the &100 pick up squeeze.....I am gonna call it that from now on! :)

Once again thanks all.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    try leg raises as well
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Crunches and sit-ups are not always the best ab exercises anyway!

Yoga and dancing as well as weight training have really given me nice abs (under my flab of course, lol). Just walking around with good posture works those abs pretty good.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do captain's chair raises and bicycles, but those would probably cause problems for you too if regular crunches do, so I'll concur with the planks. My trainer at the gym swears by them, both regular and side planks plus some cardio.

Oddly, and not trying to start anything because I'm not sure it's true, but when I read the new rules of lifting for women, the author said that traditional crunches were not very effective anyway.
  • tarahsravis
    Options
    ZUMBA! :)
  • morninglilli
    Options
    All great suggestions that will work fine for me. It is just those nasty crunches that make me nauseous for some reason.

Tarahsravis....so when do your classes start???? ;)