MEN in the gym.

Options
I'm not sure if it's all gyms or just mine. But I need to vent.
I work out on an Air Force base since it's free to me. It's always really busy after work and I end up cutting y workout short or skipping things. So today, I try to go at 10.
Im in my second week of StrongLifts 5X5... but i learned my form mostly from CrossFit in the past and practicing at home with a broomstick and my husband watching.
Long story short.... I'm squatting. I did 5X5 at 95 today. (back squat) There is a group of 3 guys, pretty nice build behind me all working out together. So I feel pretty confident with my squat form and keep pushing them out. I finish and start unloading the bar. I all of a sudden hear these guys over my music. Something about needing to hold a weight lifting class and something about how little 95 pounds was.
So being confrontational and not ignoring them... I turn around quickly and ask if they would like to say something to me instead of about me. Apparently 95 is ****ty and I should be doing more. I need to arch my back more and then I'd be set. So I give them the low down of my weight and that it's only been 2 weeks.
One guy then proceeds to "let me watch him" AND LET ME TELL YOU!!!!! He completely rounded his back the entire way up!!!!!!!
No wonder women don't like to go to the free weights. I'm going to check off base gyms out soon. These guys are total ****s.
Rant over. :mad:

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    us men are very particular about lifts, its just in our nature to critique others. Ive had to set my weights down and go chew out privates on several occasions for their crappy form its nothing personal and if they meant you should go up in weight they may just be implying that you seem to be cranking them out a little too easy not that your weak. dont take it personally
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that everywhere. People are judgmental. Just focus on learning and perfecting your form.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Honestly the men at my gym are definitely much nicer, I have had some help me with my form and spot me too but never anyone so rude and bold as to talk about me as if I wasn't there...

I workout at the LA fitness, maybe it's because a lot of the members there are not professional lifters and remember needing help with it them selves. We all have to start some where :)

I agree you should look for another gym luv and good luck!
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    us men are very particular about lifts, its just in our nature to critique others. Ive had to set my weights down and go chew out privates on several occasions for their crappy form its nothing personal and if they meant you should go up in weight they may just be implying that you seem to be cranking them out a little too easy not that your weak. dont take it personally

If they would have approached me and offered some advice.. I wouldn't really be mad. Or if he didn't have the worst form ever, I wouldn't be mad. I'm pretty confident that I did well. I'm going back tomorrow and have squats again, supposed to be 100 now. So we'll see if they're there again.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No one has ever said anything to me at my gym. I was squating 95 lbs the other day and then I went up to 110 lbs and had trouble with that so I went back down. I was also having trouble with my right hip flexor and thought for sure the guy next to me wanted to say something but he never did. I'd have no problem with them doing so if they were nice about it and not a jerk like those guys you had to deal with. What a pain.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it hon, any guy that will not offer helpful criticism when he see's something wrong at the gym (especially if it's dangerous) and laugh about it instead is a douche. Keep on keepin on!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1) Those guys, although they were in a STUPID way probably trying to hit on you, are *kitten*. (and if they were honestly trying to show how much stronger than you they were, that is REALLY REALLY pathetic)
    2) This is why I don't go to the gym: I don't like to be under the scrutiny of others.

That sucks lady. I hope your day gets better. :flowerforyou:
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    This characteristic is not of men at gyms , it is of those "know it alls" who seem to forget everyone starts somewhere.
  • mugofire
    mugofire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are going to be meatheads everywhere you go! Don't let them discourage you!!! Come here and we will encourage you and help you meet your goals!! I agree with duharforstae as well!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    95pounds is loads. Men like to lift heavy weight even if a lot of us lift them incorrectly, by swinging hips, heads, arms.

They are called meatheads, they are best ignored

I do 6kg weights for arms, 30kg bench and squats
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    If we stopped doing what we needed and wanted to do because of ''other people'', we wouldn't get very far. ignore them, do your work out in the way that suits you. At the end of the day, they couldn't really care less about your well-being.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The jersey shore bros are in every gym. I find it annoying too. They also tend to take up four or five areas and sprawl out and hog the area.

Men like to one up each other. Men in the gym are essentially peacocks on display, especially if there are women nearby (watch the demeanor of men in the free weight area with no women... then throw in a pretty girl or two and watch how all of the men change their posture, their attitudes, etc... the colored feathers pop up in a hurry)

I watch the bro-code dudes lifting and if other guys are nearby they tend to also stack on more weight then they can comfortably lift, because they don't want to be seen lifting nancy-weights in front of their peers. Some of them make my eyes hurt because the weights are not being done in a way that propogates strength training, rather on the rape of their tendons and muscles due to it being too heavy.

Translating "95 lbs is way too easy" is simply "I'm a braw. I have muscles. I can lift a lot of weight. I'm a braw" To put it more primitiavely, it's the same as a primate beating its chest, or a pretty bird flashing their pretty feathers at you.

The best thing you can do is keep your music on, ignore the jersey-shore dudes, and do your thing. It's not easy ... but it's ultimately your body and your gym session ... not theirs. They also tend to make crappy comments about fat people, so being overweight can be daunting to lift weights when those guys are making fun of you the whole time. You just have to put on a thicker skin.
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my head phones on and ignore the comments. I am still very large and am trying my hardest. If someone wants to come up to me and give me advice they will have to get my attention so I can actually hear them.

On a better note: I did have one guy come up to me telling me that he was happy to see me there working on getting healthier. It made my day. Especially since I didn't even want to be at the gym that day.

Good luck in your journey!
  • jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    Muscleheads can be *kitten* but I have found that if you are unsure about your technique you can find help in some of the more experienced men and women. Keep up your efforts and don't be afraid to ask for help on anything. By the way 95 lbs is great!
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    You should have called him out on his form!

Hang tough!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If we stopped doing what we needed and wanted to do because of ''other people'', we wouldn't get very far. ignore them, do your work out in the way that suits you. At the end of the day, they couldn't really care less about your well-being.

THIS! If you are sure you are using proper from, to H@#L with those guys. The one thing you do not want to do is squat with too heavy of a weight and then most likely use bad form. That will screw things up a lot. Especially with squats work your way up slowly and with good form.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The jersey shore bros are in every gym. I find it annoying too. They also tend to take up four or five areas and sprawl out and hog the area.

Men like to one up each other. Men in the gym are essentially peacocks on display, especially if there are women nearby (watch the demeanor of men in the free weight area with no women... then throw in a pretty girl or two and watch how all of the men change their posture, their attitudes, etc... the colored feathers pop up in a hurry)

I watch the bro-code dudes lifting and if other guys are nearby they tend to also stack on more weight then they can comfortably lift, because they don't want to be seen lifting nancy-weights in front of their peers. Some of them make my eyes hurt because the weights are not being done in a way that propogates strength training, rather on the rape of their tendons and muscles due to it being too heavy.

Translating "95 lbs is way too easy" is simply "I'm a braw. I have muscles. I can lift a lot of weight. I'm a braw"

The best thing you can do is keep your music on, ignore the jersey-shore dudes, and do your thing. It's not easy ... but it's ultimately your body and your gym session ... not theirs. They also tend to make crappy comments about fat people, so being overweight can be daunting to lift weights when those guys are making fun of you the whole time. You just have to put on a thicker skin.

I love this post and it is so true! I totally watch all the guys watching each other and trying to one up. I do that too sometimes when I see a girl coming to lift. I don't know why it happens but sometimes I'm in a competitve mood. I did have an older lady ask me how I learned to lift so well because she was shoulder pressing 5 lbs and I was shoulder pressing 17.5 lbs. It made me feel really good. :blushing:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    "Wow! That's impressive but I prefer to not put myself in traction. Thanks for looking out for me though!"

I can completely understand someone correcting a person who is doing an exercise completely wrong and there is the risk of injury but to laugh at the weight you're using is just ridiculous. Everyone had to start some where and they did too.
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    Sorry that happened at your gym! The guys at my gym are nice and they want to help!! It was funny the other day they were telling me that I was squating too much weight! I told them no, I did that the day before that and I was fine, I'm only doing 75 lbs but I'm small only 5 feet tall and 98 lbs. Just keep working out and don't pay attention to them!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I would like to make a case for the good guys in the gym

I don;t comment of what the ladies are lifting or how, I don;t grunt pr scream to make myself "stronger", I wipe down machines, I am not a peacock

Wear, trainers, under amrour shorts and t-shirt, no singlets or combat shorts, no eyebrow plucking, sun beds.

I use one machine at a time. I shower pre gym.

Not all us gym guys are Jersey Shores, we are getting terrible press here lads.

(however if you are on the threadmill right beside mine, yes, we are racing)