question for runners

Hi=). I just recently have been able to run for long periods of time without stopping lol..I was wondering how you guys run in the cold? Today I went running and it was a little bit chilly and I felt like my chest was going to cave in. WIll my body just eventually get used to it?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Define "cold". I run into the single digits where I live. I have a running friend in AK who runs when it's -20 and below.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Your body does get used to it. A solution for the chest hurting thing is if you wear a scarf lightly over your mouth/nose, it warms the air and humidifies it with your breath so it doesn't hurt so bad.
  • shanncrisalli
    shanncrisalli Posts: 26 Member
    oo boy lol..It was only 50 here. I guess because I just recently started running my body needs to get used to it
  • shanncrisalli
    ook thanks=)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    proper clothes
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    LOL cold is a relative term. I run outdoors all year 'round and it gets down to -35C in the winter. Luckily the cold air has never bothered my lungs, I suspect it's just a matter of acclimation.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Also, dress for the middle of the run. You will crack a sweat a mile or two in and the you will warm up. You need to be a little cold at the start then you feel great once you get going.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    I run outside most of the winter. With proper attire it is not bad at all. Your body will adjust. I will take a run in 10 degrees over 80 degrees anyday!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    LOL cold is a relative term. I run outdoors all year 'round and it gets down to -35C in the winter. Luckily the cold air has never bothered my lungs, I suspect it's just a matter of acclimation.

^^^^^ agreed

Sudden temperature changes either way are hard to adjust to running in. Yesterday I went for a run and it was around 60 degrees which is about 25 degrees WARMER than I've been running in lately and I struggled a lot. The same goes for when the weather gets suddenly colder. I don't mind running in the cold as long as I'm dressed appropriately.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    The whole breathing in the cold thing gets better with time.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I always wear something over my ears, even if it's just a cloth headband. Seems to help, even with the chest sting. Wearing a hat can also help keep the heat in. As others have said, you do get acclimated The best advice I was ever given was to dress for temps that are 20 degrees warmer than the actual temp and you will be comfortable.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    If it's more than 40 degrees out, I get too warm. For me, 30s and 40s are IDEAL temps to run. I have never had problems breathing in the cold, but I have lived in the Midwest almost 40 years. Maybe it's not the temperature giving you pains? Just a thought.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Stay away from cotton and get some good wicking clothes that will take the cold away from your body.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Stay away from cotton and get some good wicking clothes that will take the cold away from your body.

Big time! Cotton is pure evil when it comes to running (despite being awesome for other stuff).
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    If it's more than 40 degrees out, I get too warm. For me, 30s and 40s are IDEAL temps to run. I have never had problems breathing in the cold, but I have lived in the Midwest almost 40 years. Maybe it's not the temperature giving you pains? Just a thought.

^^it might be lung irritability. I have asthma so running in temps under 55 is painful on the lungs. I'm working on building up my tolerance for it and it seems to be getting a little better, but it does take some time.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Cotton is Rotten!

Good, technical wicking fabrics make a huge difference. I have to keep my hands and my head warm. I wear shorts all year with the exception of days when the wind chill is in single digits.
  • nairobiny
    nairobiny Posts: 13
    I find once I get warmed up, I'm really uncomfortable in anything more than a short-sleeved t-shirt and shorts. Even in single digit Celsius temperatures. It's only when it gets to sub-zero that I think about wearing my fleece long-sleeved running top.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I find once I get warmed up, I'm really uncomfortable in anything more than a short-sleeved t-shirt and shorts. Even in single digit Celsius temperatures. It's only when it gets to sub-zero that I think about wearing my fleece long-sleeved running top.

yeah, I am normally in shorts until it is below freezing. I will throw on a long sleeved top and maybe a hat. Tights and fleece come out 20F and below.
  • shanncrisalli
    Thank you everyone I really appreciate the tips and input:)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member

^^it might be lung irritability. I have asthma so running in temps under 55 is painful on the lungs. I'm working on building up my tolerance for it and it seems to be getting a little better, but it does take some time.

I've never had chest pains while running in the 30s and 40s either, and I've lived in the Deep South for most of my life. It's my hands that that are a problem at those temperatures. Unless I wear gloves, my hands feel as though someone has taken a hammer to them by the time the rest of my body warms up. But lungs, no problem.