calories burned insanity for small females

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
just wondering what your calories burns have been like on insanity if you are a smaller, shorter female (i am 5'4" 125). i am just trying to get a rough idea if i'm on target with these workouts. i have an HRM that doesn't function right so just wanted to check with you all.

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I've been googling this for weeks and haven't found anything. (no HRM)

5'0 114lbs here, would love to know this info.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    yeah me either... i have seen posts from people who weight a bit more but i'm intersted to see what it is for smaller people.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    at 5'5 143 lbs i burn between 250 (the stretching dvd) and 500 (plyo cardio circuit). i sometimes pause the water breaks to 1 minute instead of the 30 seconds though... and i push myself hard! i stop the hrm as soon as the DVD is over.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    thanks, that helps a lot. it seems that MFP is pretty accurate if i do Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort for 44 mins it says 338 calories

for recovery day, i used aerobics low impact because tehre is no way it's that much for stretching.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 167....for cardio recovery I burn between 100-140. On other days, I burn between 300-360. I've never been able to hit 400 calories, and I use a Polar FT7. It's fairly new, only 6 months old. I hit at least 90% of my max HR so I know I'm pushing myself....but it would be nice to be able to reach 500-600 calories like I've seen most people hit.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    ok well in that case i think i will go with what MFP says. seems like it's pretty accurate for me.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My friend does insanity and she's about 125-130 @ 5'1. She burns about 287-330 calories for that whole workout.
    Edit: She has a Polar ft4 hrm. I know because we both bought the same one, lol.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There is no way that anyone can answer this with any accuracy. Your output will differ according to your body composition, your aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, your work capacity, etc.

But if you're looking for a shot in the dark, a good rule of thumb is about 10-12 calories per minute for strenuous exercise. And by strenuous, I mean 60%-80% of your estimated max HR.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    Just log it as Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort, its pretty accurate
    and DIG DEEPER!
  • abadmommy
    abadmommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I burn between 275-350 calories (5'1" and 105lbs) I just finished Plyo Cardio Circuit and burned 340 from beginning to end. I wear my FT7 whenever I workout and with Insanity I'm always at 90%. :)
  • MJ7910
    Options
    There is no way that anyone can answer this with any accuracy. Your output will differ according to your body composition, your aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, your work capacity, etc.

But if you're looking for a shot in the dark, a good rule of thumb is about 10-12 calories per minute for strenuous exercise. And by strenuous, I mean 60%-80% of your estimated max HR.

i get what your'e saying but like i said and is the point of this thread that i am looking for a ballpark range. i understand that i will not know without an accurate HRM.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    My friend does insanity and she's about 125-130 @ 5'1. She burns about 287-330 calories for that whole workout.

i just got that one and the chest strap doesn't work worth a crap. i have done everything, gotten it really wet, not so wet, ultrasound gel, etc. keeps losing signal. i just don't care enough anymore to deal with it so that's why i wanted just a rough estimate.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Seriously...get a chest strap HRM. Take the guess work out of it. Look on Amazon - inexpensive!

Insanity burns lots of calories. After I got going with it, I got to enjoy some additional calories in my diet (I only ate about 1/2 of my exercise calories - max - and not always.). If I did not have an HRM - I would probably not eaten any additional calories.

In my experience (6'0" and 175 lbs) - MFP underestimates cardio calories compared to my HRM.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    Seriously...get a chest strap HRM. Take the guess work out of it. Look on Amazon - inexpensive!

Insanity burns lots of calories. After I got going with it, I got to enjoy some additional calories in my diet (I only ate about 1/2 of my exercise calories - max - and not always.). If I did not have an HRM - I would probably not eaten any additional calories.

In my experience (6'0" and 175 lbs) - MFP underestimates cardio calories compared to my HRM.

already did, it doesn't work, not getting another one... see my earlier post

also i am a lot smaller so i think MFP might actually be pretty accurate for me if i log like people explained above.
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options

i just got that one and the chest strap doesn't work worth a crap. i have done everything, gotten it really wet, not so wet, ultrasound gel, etc. keeps losing signal. i just don't care enough anymore to deal with it so that's why i wanted just a rough estimate.
    You need to change the battery.
    Had same issue.
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options
    im 5'0 in month one i burn about 300-375 in month 2 about 400-475 hope that helps!...i have a polar f4 :)
  • MJ7910
    Options

You need to change the battery.
    Had same issue.

tried it, no luck... like i said i've tried everything. i'm giving up on it now anyway so it doesn't matter to me just wondered what other people's burns were. thanks for the tips
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Have you changed the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap? I burned a crap ton with Insanity. I fluctuate between 129-132lbs. Nothing less than 500-600 on the longer harder workouts, like month 2, but recovery might be 300-400. Guess everyone is different.
  • MJ7910
    Options

Have you changed the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap? I burned a crap ton with Insanity. I fluctuate between 129-132lbs. Nothing less than 500-600 on the longer harder workouts, like month 2, but recovery might be 300-400. Guess everyone is different.

yes all batteries have been changed. like i said, tried everything. i am not going to use the hrm anymore because it's too frustrating and interrupts my workouts. so i just wanted a general idea.

after hearing everyone's burns i have decided MFP isn't that far off when i use the calisthenics option. i will just do that because for smaller people it seems pretty accurate. thanks everyone.