Fat2Fit Method

Options
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody's had any success using the Fat2Fit method of having your net calories be the maintenance amount for your goal weight?

I like the idea of this because it seems to be about making healthy lifestyle choices rather than "dieting". I have recently started working out on a daily basis and I'm really enjoying improving my fitness/becoming more toned rather than just trying to drop pounds so feel this might work well for me.

At 5'3" and 140lb I am right near the top of my healthy weight range and looking to get myself towards the lower end of this.

Would love to hear about anybody's experiences with this!

xxx

Replies

• Nicolao2762
    Nicolao2762 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump-I would also like to know this.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

having your net calories be the maintenance amount for your goal weight?

I'm having a dumb day and can't figure out what your trying to say..sorry :embarassed:

But...what I think your saying is...who eats at their BMR? If so then yes I do and I think a load of other people do on here too, and it works. And we lose weight doing that. And no I don't think of myself as doing a diet but having made a lifestyle change :smile:
  • hisail0r
    hisail0r Posts: 4
    Options
    Not so much eating at your BMR but similar.

MFP recommends 1200 for me to create a deficit of 500 per day and lose 1lb per week whereas F2F recommends working out the calories you'd eat to maintain your goal weight and eating this amount so weight loss is slower but less hard to stick to and it's a change for life so you're not dieting just eating the right amount.

So to maintain 112lbs (goal weight) I'd need my net calories to be 1591, the theory being that if I eat that I'll get there eventually and be more likely to stick to it.

xxx
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    the fat2fit method isn't to NET your TDEE of your goal weight, it's to eat AT YOUR TDEE for your GOAL WEIGHT. So using their calculators you get a calorie target.

You COULD use the sedentary activity level for your goal weight and make that your NET and then add exercise and eat those calories back (well...about 50% of them or so since you're trying to lose).
  • TRUDIVA88
    TRUDIVA88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am interested in peoples thoughts
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with it.

Since I am using MFP, rather than choosing an activity level from the Fat2Fit list, I just set my MFP goal to what F2F said for sedentary and I eat most of my exercise calories. On rest days I get 1650 and on exercise days I will get 2000 or more depending on what I did.
  • hisail0r
    Options
    Also LottieLou13 - red hair and leopardprint make you awesome :-)

xxx
  • hisail0r
    Options
    @skylark94 & @love4fitnesslove4food that's the way I'm doing it, using F2F's sedentary level & eating back some of my exercise calories.

xxx
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have had some luck with it. Finally started losing after a couple of months not on barely my BMR. Just to clarify, you will not be netting your calories anymore if you use this method. Netting only applies to the MFP way. You will pick your activity level and eat that many calories daily. You can subtract a few hundred if you aren't losing after 4 weeks or so to find your balance. You can still log your exercise but you won't eat back unless your exercise calories cause you to drop below your BMR. Make since?

The weight loss is slower, but you are not on a diet so that's a plus! On top of that, you don't have to learn how to maintain your weight, you just eat the way you have learned to eat during the process of your weight loss.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am pushing 50 (within 7 months), I am 5'6", my goal is 150 pounds, and I do workout 4-5 days a week. That said: I started out at 1200 calories a day for the goal of 2 pounds a week, it was a struggle. I have eaten at my goal BMR (1383) for 2 months now (advice from Prevention Magazine). I have still lost weight and I really feel like I am learning to eat what I am supposed to. I don't aim to eat back my exercise calories but I use them without guilt. Some days I am even under the 1200 mark. I also aim to make my dinner plate 1/2 green &/or fresh, I don't put anything else on my plate till the green is all there, and if I want/need more to eat, I eat only the green &/or fresh.

I am a supporter of eating at your goal weight. If you are eating for a 200 pound person and your goal is 140...it just doesn't add up to me.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Bump for later