Does anybody practice Bikram Yoga?

Options
I LOVE/HATE Bikram yoga. It is the most refreshing, torturous, purifying, difficult 90 minutes of my day. Are there any other Bikram yogi's out there? I would love to hear how this type of yoga affects you.

Replies

• bonita862
    Options
    I tried Bikram yoga once and loved it so much ... signed up for 30 day challenge. After completing that i never wanted to set foot in that room again. A few months passed and im back doing it a few times a week. Yes the classes are very difficult but the benefits of it keep me coming back. I suffer from depression, anxiety, social anxiety, insomnia.. and alot of other things .. Bikram yoga gives me a euphoric feeling for days after and helps me detangle and destress.

I use to see the classes as a way to loose weight. Now I see it as a meditation which helps keep my body healthy as well as my mind. You really have to dig deep to get through the tough days. I think about all the benefits my body is getting from each pose. This makes me determined to push through, focus and never make an excuse to sit down in class.

I get to class early and lay in savasna .. Focusing on why i am there.. repeat positive affirmations and push all other thoughts away that can be dealt with once I have completed the 90mins. Once the class has finished.. I have the biggest smile on my face everytime. Nothing compares to the overwhelming euphoria afterwards and the sense of wellbeing. and the little yogi arms that come with it!

Nothing beats the camel!!

ramble ramble .. :)

My Bikram yoga experience.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi :happy: I did bikram for half a year, on and off, and I have a love/hate relationship with it as well! It brings out every little thing that you've been feeling throughout the day. I think it kept me more in tune with my body because I knew what would happen if I wasn't and went into that room for 90 minutes. If I knew I was going to class that day, I'd have to hydrate properly beforehand and take my Emergen-C or coconut water with me, because otherwise -- huuuuge headache :frown: I really miss the stretching, though, especially for the lower back. Something I don't miss: camel pose :noway:

My main issue with bikram is that I just don't have two hours to pull out of my day anymore :(
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just took my first class today. I didn't really struggle with any of the postures, but I had to sit down quite a few times because I was SURE I was going to barf or pass out. I got dizzy, my vision started getting dark, and I honestly thought I was going to have to puke into my towel a few times. Lol. I stuck it out though and hopefully I can make myself go back tomorrow. I will definitely hydrate myself better.
  • nkechio23
    nkechio23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There was a groupon deal for a Bikram yoga studio in my area this summer. I signed up and was going about once a week. I too can relate to the love/hate relationship. Going in its like uggg 90 minutes of intense sweating but at the end it is soo rewarding. I felt lighter, my skin looked and felt better, I felt relaxed yet energized at the same time. I also noticed that each time I went to the class my flexibility was better and the heat was actually enjoyable. I want to start back up with it again...but it is expensive!

My suggestion is hydrate..hydrate...hydrate. before and after the class, also wear cool clothes that allow you to move!! Good luck!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ah Bikram Yoga.... I like to think of it as a cleansing. I do enjoy but can't make it out that regular due to the time committment.