Weight Lifting 4 Women; So When Do I Start?

Options
I see so many great results here on MFP, where women lift weights. I am very interested because I had a child so my tummy area is a little loose, and my arms are getting very out-of-shape due to gaining weight.

I would like for my stomach to not ONLY be flat, but I want definition there. I want my arms to have muscle, not bulky though like a man, but sexy for a woman.

So I am 5'4, 206Ibs, I'm obviously on the road to losing weight, and having a better healthy lifestyle. I'm doing this for me, but I'm also doing this so my son doesn't develop the same bad eating habits as I had. Anyways, my question is: When do I start weight lifting? Now, or when I'm closer to my goal weight (which is 140Ibs)?

Thanks,
Karina

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Yesterday! If you don't weight train while losing weight, you will lose the muscle you already have! New rules of lifting is an excellent starting point. Good luck!
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!

Lol, thank you. Um I don't have access to a gym. Any ideas on how I can do this at home. Do I buy a certain 'machine', videos, dumbells, etc???
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    start today!

If you don't have access to weights, you can do body weight exercises to get started:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Or workout on the playground:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yesterday! If you don't weight train while losing weight, you will lose the muscle you already have! New rules of lifting is an excellent starting point. Good luck!

^^^ agreed!
  • Melzicious
    Options
    Definitely start now! I recommend you pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women and You Are Your Own Gym.
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The Nerd Fitness link above is a fantastic start.

You can also do ChaLEAN Extreme. Don't let the name scare you. It's heavy lifting 3 days a week and cardio on 2 days a week.

All you need are a set of dumbbell weights or resistance bands. And "heavy lifting" is whatever "heavy" means to you. When I started, 8 pounds was heavy. I am now curling 15 pounds. And Chalene does a great job of showing modifications to make it work for each person.

Good luck!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I appreciate every tip everyone gave, and will look into it.