Should I do P90X Classic or Lean?

Options
Hello everyone. I am starting the P90X program on April 30th. I have been doing research on the classic and lean program and getting mixed results. I am entering into a weight loss contest that my city is having and trying to determine which program will give me the weight loss results that I am looking for. Along with the workout program, I plan to follow the nutrition program. I also plan to walk every morning and go to the gym for light cardio 3 times a week.

I had my first child a year ago this month. I am normally pretty petite; however, I weighed almost 200 pounds when I had my son and basically haven't lost any weight. I am doing this contest as a motivator as well as getting healthy for my son. He needs a healthy momma to keep up with him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've heard and seen many who didn't necessarily lose weight with P90X but lost many inches. I've heard great things about 30 Day Shred, as well as insanity.But if I were you i'd do lean, based on what you're expecting.
  • bashthefash
    Options
    I haven't heard about the 30 day shred. I will check it out. Is the Insanity a better program than P90X?

Thanks!!!
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest I knew there was a p90x2 but I wasn't aware there was a classic and a lean or maybe that lean is the p90x2. But good luck with your contest! But I have to say if you are exercising that much make sure you are fueling your body by eating back the calories. I thought p90x was a 6 day a week workout program, plus walking every morning, plus carido 3x a week on top of it all. Your muscles will need a chance to recover somewhere in there..

Hope you win though =)

Oh and the 30 day Shred is good, I did it for 6 weeks. But with most programs you will lose lots of inches
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you're geared more specifically toward weight loss, I would suggest the lean.

There is a lot of strength training in the classic and doubles - which leads to building muscle (which will, eventually, lead to fat loss and probably weight loss, but since you're going to be going for pounds loss, I would say strength training a 2-3 days per week and cardio 4 times is going to be the best bet)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've heard and seen many who didn't necessarily lose weight with P90X but lost many inches. I've heard great things about 30 Day Shred, as well as insanity.But if I were you i'd do lean, based on what you're expecting.

I prefer Ripped in 30 to 30-Day Shred.

But these programs are also more geared toward inches lost and strength-building/general fitness (unless you follow the diet plan in Ripped in 30 to the tee - then you might lose a significant amount of weight, but you won't be building much muscle...which isn't good...)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've not done either program... But have friends who have. From the results that I've seen, I would recommend the classic program, but that's totally unscientific. lol It's just based on what I've seen from the two variations.
  • suefleigh
    suefleigh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity and it is excellent for weight loss. I have heard mixed results about P90X, but what the other poster mentioned about inches not weight is consistent. I have done most of the P90X workouts (but not the program) and they are intense physically, but not as cardio intense as Insanity...
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    P90X isn't really to lose weight more to tone up. If you want a program on DVD I would suggest Insanity. I loved it before I had gotten pregnant and my doctor sad I couldn't do it during the pregnancy.

But if you prefer P90X I would go with the Lean option. I've done both classic and lean. I lost more with lean then classic. Lean focuses more on cardio.

Best of luck. And enjoy which ever you do. I loved both. :)
  • Hilary_Ann_
    Options
    Insanity is P90X without the use of weights and that sort of stuff. With Insanity you are only using your own momentum and body to do the exercises. So if you don't have the extra equipment use Insanity.
  • imlewer
    imlewer Posts: 15
    Options
    My wife and I are just finishing a cycle of P90x. I did the classic and she switched to the lean about half way through. Honestly there isnt much difference between the two. Lean just does less upper body and Cardio X opposed to Plyo. All in all I've lost 35lbs and she lost 20 plus we both lost quite a few inches so I can say that you can definitely loose weight with P90x.
  • julimono
    julimono Posts: 1
    Options
    I did insanity and it was great. The first four weeks the workouts are about 40 minutes a day, six days a week. P90X is much longer 60-90 minutes a day, six days a week and seems to be more focused on building muscle than insanity (which is plyometrics and cardio). I think it will be very tough to do additional workouts on top of the P90X. Sorry, don't know much about the difference between classic and lean.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Classic without a doubt. Tony Horton himself would tell you the same.

You can lose weight doing P90X. I have and so have others.

Classic is the way to go!!

Everyone says its designed to build muscle, but that's not the case. It's designed to get you ripped and it does that by shedding fat. The women I know that do P90X, all look athletic, not muscle bound by any means.
  • bashthefash
    Options
    I'll be honest I knew there was a p90x2 but I wasn't aware there was a classic and a lean or maybe that lean is the p90x2. But good luck with your contest! But I have to say if you are exercising that much make sure you are fueling your body by eating back the calories. I thought p90x was a 6 day a week workout program, plus walking every morning, plus carido 3x a week on top of it all. Your muscles will need a chance to recover somewhere in there..

Hope you win though =)

Oh and the 30 day Shred is good, I did it for 6 weeks. But with most programs you will lose lots of inches

It does sound like a lot and I will use the 7th day as a rest day or a day of stretching. I have looked over the p90X nutrition plan and it seems to pack the calories and protein that I need, along with taking protein and recovery drinks.

Thank you for your help!!!
  • droptooth
    Options
    P90X (classic) is great, but I found it was not enough cardio. Cardio is the key for burning fat! Insanity (which I have not done, but…)is probably better for losing pounds. Strength training is a tool to build muscle that eventually gets your body to burn more calories. A combination is fantastic, but lean towards more cardio.
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Insanity for the type of results you are looking for. More cardio based then the P90x program, then after the challenge is over give P90 a whirl to build a solid base of lean muscle and expand on the results you've already seen.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    P90X (classic) is great, but I found it was not enough cardio. Cardio is the key for burning fat! Insanity (which I have not done, but…)is probably better for losing pounds. Strength training is a tool to build muscle that eventually gets your body to burn more calories. A combination is fantastic, but lean towards more cardio.

The circuit training nature of the reistance days is what burns the fat. The cardio is just there to get your heart into shape.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am starting the P90X program on April 30th. I have been doing research on the classic and lean program and getting mixed results. I am entering into a weight loss contest that my city is having and trying to determine which program will give me the weight loss results that I am looking for. Along with the workout program, I plan to follow the nutrition program. I also plan to walk every morning and go to the gym for light cardio 3 times a week.

I had my first child a year ago this month. I am normally pretty petite; however, I weighed almost 200 pounds when I had my son and basically haven't lost any weight. I am doing this contest as a motivator as well as getting healthy for my son. He needs a healthy momma to keep up with him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    if it's your first time doing it, I recommend Classic
  • bashthefash
    Options

I prefer Ripped in 30 to 30-Day Shred.

But these programs are also more geared toward inches lost and strength-building/general fitness (unless you follow the diet plan in Ripped in 30 to the tee - then you might lose a significant amount of weight, but you won't be building much muscle...which isn't good...)

Thanks for the information. I have normally had lots of muscle mass from playing tennis, soccer, and being in the military, I want to lose the weight and inches, but I want to build my muscles back to what they were.

I will look at the both those programs.

Thanks for the for all the information.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Classic without a doubt. Tony Horton himself would tell you the same.

You can lose weight doing P90X. I have and so have others.

Classic is the way to go!!

Everyone says its designed to build muscle, but that's not the case. It's designed to get you ripped and it does that by shedding fat. The women I know that do P90X, all look athletic, not muscle bound by any means.

Agreed! I am doing classic for the second time now. I almost finished the first try but was injured (not doing P90X) and had to stop.
  • jozkny
    jozkny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It has been awhile since I did P90x (over a year) but I started it when I weighed well over 200 and I started out crying everytime-- but I stuck with it and I did lose pounds and inches! I went from ZERO physical activity to doing the workout 6x per week!! It is very tough but the more you keep at it the more you may surprise yourself. I have been thinking about getting the "10 Minute Trainer" (by Tony Horton) and still own the classic/original P90x dvds. It is a very good and very effective workout. I didnt do it to "bulk up" just to do SOMETHING to get myself active. Good luck in whichever you choose!