Long distance relationships

Options
rcm1973
rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
Hey all... I need advice. I have a good friend I met on line a year and a half ago. At the time, he was going through a divorce and we decided not to date and to just be friends--he was nowhere ready for a relationship. His divorce was final last August and our friendship has grown over time. We visit each other once or twice a month (he lives 90 minutes away). The last couple months we've become particularly close and have realized that we want to be together. Problem is, the 90 minutes that separate us. He is reluctant to commit because of the distance (long story, but it is a legit concern carried over from his last relationship), and I won't move unless he commits. It's a horrible "catch-22." Would love to hear what you all think. Right now we've just decided to keep things as they are: continue to talk every day and visit once or twice a month... But I think this guy is "the one;" I don't want to be in limbo forever.

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    He is reluctant to commit..."how", exactly? Commit to dating you exclusively?

I would think if he saw you as "the one" - distance would not stop him from committing to you and/or making sure you didn't 'get away'.

And I know what I'm talking about...I am living this situation right now, except he made sure to let his intentions be known right away (and we're farther apart than 90 minutes!).
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I lived an ocean apart until we finally got to move in together last fall.

If he wants to make it work, he'll make it work. 90 minutes away from my boyfriend would have been a DREAM. I think you might need to consider moving on.
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Yeah, I guess. His only hang up is that I don't live there. He said if I did, it would be different--he would be interested in pursuing an exclusive relationship with me.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    90 minutes?? That ain't too bad! I sure as heck wish I were 90 minutes away from my crush.

But anyway, this is probably a question you should take up to him and ask if he is really serious about it. Something like that should definitely be discussed. And from there perhaps you can decide whether it would be wise to move or not. :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Yeah, I guess. His only hang up is that I don't live there. He said if I did, it would be different--he would be interested in pursuing an exclusive relationship with me.

Some people aren't cut out for the long distance thing, but I will stand by my original statement; that if he REALLY wanted to be with you that 90 minutes wouldn't stop him.

Have a chat about it, but I wouldn't be moving if I were you...sorry.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't think 90 minutes is all that bad. I don't think moving should be an issue, at this point, on either side. Just go with things the way they are and if you are meant for each other, then you'll know what to do!
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I would think if he saw you as "the one" - distance would not stop him from committing to you and/or making sure you didn't 'get away'.

And I know what I'm talking about...I am living this situation right now, except he made sure to let his intentions be known right away (and we're farther apart than 90 minutes!).

^^^^this

I agree, distance should not be an issue (90 min) is not far at all. You might want to take a step back and examine the relationship. just my thoughts on the subject.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use the excuse of an ex hurt me to keep from committing. To me, it can be a cop-out. 90 minutes is not that far to drive on the wknd to visit. Just my thoughts.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but 90min away and he's reluctant to commit? Bad past relationship or not, 90 min is nothing.

My husband lived in California and I live in BC, Canada. Fastest way to go see him was over an hour drive to the airport, then a 2 hour plane ride and both of us committed even with both of us having super crappy past relationships involving cheating and lying and all the other fun stuff.

90min is a drop in the hat.

Life is short and no one gets out alive so you need to be able to grab life by the horns while you're here. If he sees this relationship as having potential then he needs to commit, otherwise he needs to tell you that he doesn't see that.

But that's just me.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    again, 90 minutes is a breeze. my commute on the way home is often that long with traffic!!! i was in a long distance relationship with someone just one state away, but it was a state too many. flights were expensive and trains took too long and a car ride was ridiculous. i was really miserable at the end and he wasn't the one for me and vice versa...so it didn't end well. i'm with someone now who's wonderful and NEARBY! makes all the difference. however, life isn't always super neat and easy and if this person is the right one for you or *a* right one for you, he (and you) will find a way to make it work. erase the distance so you can have more than a monthly visit. /the end
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options

^^^^this

I agree, distance should not be an issue (90 min) is not far at all. You might want to take a step back and examine the relationship. just my thoughts on the subject.

If I was only 90 minutes away...HELL that is a no brainer I would be there every day and night until I could be there PERMANANTLY
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Pffft .. 90 minutes is nothing. Try 5 hours. :grumble:

I think the distance is a copout.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    That has got to be hard, but if you love each other it will work. I also did he long distance thing and now I am married to the man, although I have tried it in the past and it hasn't always worked out, so I guess it depends on how you both feel. You said he might be the one, does he feel the same? I ask, because if you both have intentions of making it work, 90 minutes won't stop you. I met my husband and knew after one date he was something special. A few months later he got a job in New Mexico (we were in Colorado) and took the job, he asked me if I would consider moving. This was tough, my friends and family all live in Colorado but he was special and I could see myself wanting to be with him, no matter what. So, I said yes BUT I moved the date out for 6 months, I needed to save up money and part of me wanted to see how the long distance thing went. We saw each other every two weeks even though we were 6 hours apart. So, if he is special don't let him go without a fight. If you don't try or are to scared to try you may miss out on something awesome.
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    90 minutes is nothing keep as you are for now!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If he felt the same way about you, being 90 minutes away wouldn't stop him from committing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    90 minutes isn't really long-distance, my SO and I have been together over seven years and we used to drive 90 minutes twice a week to see one another when we first started dating. You have bigger hurdles than distance here. This is not a relationship with potential, and I think you're making excuses for him being reluctant to start one with you because he had issues in the past.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Problem is, the 90 minutes that separate us. He is reluctant to commit because of the distance (long story, but it is a legit concern carried over from his last relationship), and I won't move unless he commits. It's a horrible "catch-22." Would love to hear what you all think. Right now we've just decided to keep things as they are: continue to talk every day and visit once or twice a month... But I think this guy is "the one;" I don't want to be in limbo forever.

I dont see the catch 22 tbh. If he's saying he will commit if you move in with him, then the choice is yours. Move! :love:

If you think he's the ONE, then what you waiting for? Moving 90mins up the road is hardly a sacrifice. If it doesnt work out then you move back. If it works then :love: Some people move across entire continents to be with the ONE. Just go for it :flowerforyou:
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Distance can be difficult but it's not impossible. My husband & I lived 2 hours apart when we met, but now he is in the military so our relationship weathers all sorts of distance.
    If you really like him, stay where you are & see where it goes. I really believe that what's meant to be will always find a way.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a little skeptical about him not wanting to commit because of 90 silly little minutes.
    Yes, gasoline is expensive and time is short, but I honestly don't think that 90 minutes would stop anyone from being exclusive in a relationship, even if you don't see each other that often.
    I can see why you wouldn't want to move in with him, since perhaps you'd have a long commute to work every single day, but what is preventing him from being exclusive? I don't understand. If you're the one he wants, then he would want to be committed even if you don't visit each other that often. I'm not doubting that he has strong feelings for you, but I think there may be more to this story than he's letting on, and it should be something that you two need to have a serious talk about.

I'm in a very similar situation right now: my boyfriend lives 2 hours away and we both go to college, so we're busy and broke most of the time, so we see each other roughly once a month. Last weekend, I called him because I felt sick like at 2am. Nothing says "I love you" like driving 2 hours to rub your girlfriend's back as she vomits.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    90 minutes isn't really long-distance, my SO and I have been together over seven years and we used to drive 90 minutes twice a week to see one another when we first started dating. You have bigger hurdles than distance here. This is not a relationship with potential, and I think you're making excuses for him being reluctant to start one with you because he had issues in the past.
    We did essentially the same when we were dating. We met on Wednesdays halfway for lunch, and he came down or I went up every weekend! It's worth it for love.