sexist and rude remarks

Options
Two years ago, when I was in really good shape, I went out for a run and towards the end, a car driver yelled some sexist remark out the window to me. They were going fast, and they were gone as soon as they had come.
The thing is that it freaked me out because I get into a zone when I exercise, and it really startled me. After that, I didn't want to go out and run for a while.
I know people will be jerks, but now whenever I go out for a run/walk, I'm always wary of that experience. Just curious if anyone else had or has this issue, and how you deal with it.

Replies

• isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    While running in Toronto, a man and what appeared to be his son were in a truck heckling me while I was running. I tried my best to ignore them, but the last thing they did before they sped off was throw a carton of half eaten Mcdonald's french fries smothered in ketchup on me...and they were both laughing their heads off...I was so angry...and disgusted that this man encouraged his son to do it...some people are idiots and have a streak of evil inside them..not much you can do about it but live well and ignore them.
    I try to run during low traffic times and that usually means the morning, when I feel safest.
    Keep on running :flowerforyou:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you cant control rude remarks that life but what you need to do is get a pair of head phones and a ipod and find a safe place and start running again i broke my ankle last febuary because im really heavy this past to weeks i have been able to finelly do leslie sasoon walking tape so if i was you i would get my butt out and get back in shape because you might be like me and you anklet cant' hold all this weight
  • Beeson
    Options
    What I do is I bring my MP3 player, crank the tunes and shut the world out. Wear sunglasses and pretend you can't see anyone. This won't help with the french fry situation; maybe run on a high school track after school hours. Don't give up!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,,

You were both verbally assaulted by idiots. Mean, stupid, vindictive little people who try to hide their own fears and inadequacies by ridiculing and belittling and trying to bring others down to their pathetic little level.

Neither cabbie nor pickup boy could run a mile if you were chasing them with a flamethrower. They are idiots, and probably in terrible health. Anybody dumb enough to hassle an innocent passerby is surely dumb enough to use their mouth for a garbage can - and maybe smoke a couple packs of cigs a day.

So - - please please, get the best revenge of all. Take care of yourself, and get some exercise, and keep running or biking or whatever works for you. And someday, when you're out for a run, you'll be passed by a (probably short) line of cars, and you'll see these fools' funeral processions. :devil:

Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well said CasperO !!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Someone threw a milkshake at me from a moving car as I was walking out side during the summer time shirtless with a friend once. Luckily it only it the tip of my shoe. My dominant memory of that is what a coward that person was to chuck a milkshake at me from the safety of a vehicle and keep driving.
  • fashionfitness
    Options
    Thank you so much for these great replies. It really helps to hear other people.
  • msseusse
    msseusse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Run with your cell phone and call the cops with their license #. See how clever they are when they get pulled over!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So - - please please, get the best revenge of all. Take care of yourself, and get some exercise, and keep running or biking or whatever works for you. And someday, when you're out for a run, you'll be passed by a (probably short) line of cars, and you'll see these fools' funeral processions. :devil:

Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Living well is truly the best revenge, Casper. I have lots of people in my life I want to get that kind of "revenge" on. I was tortured in high school for my weight, and have more than one memory of walking through the halls and having a group of boys moo at me or make some mean remark.

I just use it all as motivation these days.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, when I was in really good shape, I went out for a run and towards the end, a car driver yelled some sexist remark out the window to me. They were going fast, and they were gone as soon as they had come.
    The thing is that it freaked me out because I get into a zone when I exercise, and it really startled me. After that, I didn't want to go out and run for a while.
    I know people will be jerks, but now whenever I go out for a run/walk, I'm always wary of that experience. Just curious if anyone else had or has this issue, and how you deal with it.

I recently got "wooooed" out a car window and somebody beeped at me--

I consider it a total honor-- and a testament to the hard work I've done this year to get myself in the physical shape to be "woooooed."

Look for the silver lining--
  • Marla64
    Options
    Someone threw a milkshake at me from a moving car as I was walking out side during the summer time shirtless with a friend once. Luckily it only it the tip of my shoe. My dominant memory of that is what a coward that person was to chuck a milkshake at me from the safety of a vehicle and keep driving.

did you need help wiping that milkshake off your chest? *raises hand to volunteer*

Ha-- :wink:

Just kidding--

Late-- getting punchy-- :laugh:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I was bicycling on a country road just outside of town. A car of teenage boys zipped by and one of them threw a paper cup full of soda at me, hitting me in the leg. That really freaked me out and in conjunction with exercise induced asthma I quit bicycling. Even now I'd be leery of biking in that area--even though I don't live there anymore! These days I'm taking long walks alone nearby and I'm always on the lookout for some creep/jerk, but I refuse to stay inside all the time.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    My neighbor carries a pistol when he walks. He says if he gets hit if he's not dead they'll get hit, too.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    this makes me sad this is not the norm this kind of think dose not happen all the time and it is usely kids that dos it not adults they think its funny most of the kids are in school now
  • metalpalace
    Options

did you need help wiping that milkshake off your chest? *raises hand to volunteer*

Just kidding--

LoL I love it! I didn't get hit in the chest but we can make believe I did :tongue:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    A long time ago I was bicycling on a country road just outside of town. A car of teenage boys zipped by and one of them threw a paper cup full of soda at me, hitting me in the leg. That really freaked me out and in conjunction with exercise induced asthma I quit bicycling. Even now I'd be leery of biking in that area--even though I don't live there anymore! These days I'm taking long walks alone nearby and I'm always on the lookout for some creep/jerk, but I refuse to stay inside all the time.

That makes me so sad at man kind. Too many people don't care about anyone but themselves. Have you tried regular yoga therapy? It really teaches you how to find the calmness in the storm. One hugely critical component to good health is an enhanced ability to alleviate/manage stress. I would imagine that would especially be beneficial to a person with asthma.
  • Marla64
    Options

Just kidding--

LoL I love it! I didn't get hit in the chest but we can make believe I did :tongue:

Role play-- makes the world go 'round--

:laugh:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I thought an axis with a 23.5 degree tilt makes the world go round.. :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I hate stuff like this. One time I was Fartlecking in the neighborhood (teehee) I was on my 3rd round of walking after running as fast as I could. I am SURE I looked a mess, red faced and sweaty..........

A neighbor woman stopped and YELLED.......I mean SCREAMED at me "GET IN THIS CAR BEFORE YOU KILL YOUSELF!! :laugh: :laugh:

She is really out of shape due to an injury and is diabetic..............and she is mean....I tell ya mean.........all I said was "No thank you" while I LOL down the road.......

She still glares at me when I see her getting into her car..

That my dear friends is the weirdest thing to happen to me while exercising:laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I thought an axis with a 23.5 degree tilt makes the world go round.. :laugh:

I am sorry you are mis-informed. God is twirling the world on his finger like a basketball:flowerforyou: