HRMs: Sportline Cardio 660 or Polar FT7

Options
I'm ready to purchase an HRM but I'm still stuck on which one to get. While I do a wide range of cardio exercises, the majority of my cardio is done on a stationary bike so the HRM I buy needs to be able to work for that. Both track calories burned which is extremely important for me, but the SC says it also tracks fat burned. Although I'm not sure that I really need that feature. I've heard a lot of great things about the FT7 and read only 2 or 3 reviews about the SC, although those few reviews were great.

Can you guys give me some feedback? Has anyone tried both? Specifically, has anyone tried the Sportline? I like the idea of it, but the fact that I've only been able to find a few reviews makes me nervous.... What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    I need one too and posted something about this earlier this morning. I'll give you the info that was given to me...Polar sounds like maybe it is the best brand and that you need to get one with a chest strap for a more accurate reading. I'll be checking this board to help me make the decision as well. Thanks for posting it! BTW, do you know what the difference is between the Polar FT4 and the FT7? This is all very new to me! :huh:
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely a chest strap is important. I haven't been able to see a huge difference in the FT7 and the FT4 except that the FT7 is a little more advanced. According to their website, the 7 is for people trying to improve their fitness as well as lose weight whereas the 4 is more simply for people trying to improve their fitness. Not entirely sure what the difference is... I haven't looked at every single feature and compared the two, though.

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/compare?product1=22998 <-- On their website you can compare the various products to see which have the different features you're looking for.
  • LizJ08
    Options
    Thanks! We're helping each other out on here, anyway :wink: Maybe some more people will chime in and give us some info.
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Testing....Testing.... Anyone out there?
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I am getting the polar ft7.... cant wait! ha
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Check out dcrainmaker.com

he has some great reviews on watches, etc.

I stopped using my HRM months ago. I was driving myself & my trainer crazy! :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    i have the ft 4, i really loved it, til i realized i was only burning 350 calories in a zumba class.... they say you can burn 800-1000, so i had a friend test hers... she was over 600 & she started hers after me... im trying to see which she has to get that one...
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sorry, cant comment to much on the SC660 because I haven't even heard about it till just now. lol
    But...I bought the Polar FT4 I am actually getting it in the mail today here is the difference between the Polar FT4 and FT7:

The Polar FT7:
    Can Log up to 99 work out sessions
    It can let you upload data to the computer (BUT YOU NEED TO BUY THE LINK CABLE WHICH IS LIKE 40$!)

The Polar FT4:
    Can Log up to 10 Work out sessions
    CAN NOT upload any data to the Computer

Other than that. they are basically teh same device. Seriously. I compared them for hours and hours before pulling the trigger. If you are going to log your data on MFP every day then the Polar FT4 can save you some money. If you Like to see more stored work out sessions then FT7 is the way to go, and if you want to spend more money on the link cable then money isn't really an issue for and buy the FT7 anyway lol.

Polar from everything I have read has an awesome reputation. So either the FT4 or 7 is a good bet. Everyone loves them. and many other people on MFP will tell you the same thing
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi - I got a Polar FT7 in January this year and I love it. It does exactly what I need it to do which is to track calories burned. It also tells me how long my heart rate is in fitness zone or fat burn zone for each workout. I would definitely recommend - can't comment about the other one though, sorry!

If you search HRM on the forum you will find that Polar is a very popular and reliable brand.............
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 with the chest strap and love it!!! I looked at the FT7, but for the price difference, the FT4 was just fine for me. The chest strap is what is KEY though!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar HRM, but I prefer the FT80 because it also tracks weightlifting. I use it religiously and it has really helped all of my training. It is expensive, but I recently saw it on heartratemonitorsusa.com for about $200. Calorie tracking is outstanding, includes fat burned (haven't found that very important) but the best feature is the training program that tracks your progress and sets targets for you each week. I started with just walking on treadmills last October and just ran 9 miles for the first time last Sunday! Best investment I have ever made.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the ft7 is great don't know about the other one you mentioned, only problem I have is that my ft7 will mess up because it picks up the reading from the bike HRM and shuts the bike off. That is terrible when your into a good workout and have to start over. So I don't wear it on a stationary bike, I still wear it on my road bike, treadmill, elliptical or just plain running. I now just go by what the stationary bike tells me I burned. I got my ft7 at bodytronics.com for I think $71 with free shipping. It is a great tool and you can change the batteries yourself which will save money. Hope this helps
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I got the Polar ft7 about 2 months ago and absolutely love it! I like the extra features over the ft4 but they aren't necessary if you're looking for something slightly more affordable. It's easy to use, the chest strap is comfortable to me and I like how it stores so many sessions. I can check my data and see how I am progressing with my fitness.
    A little FYI... I did check out the Sportline Cardio 660 and almost went with that choice before settling on the ft7. I just liked the features on the polar more. PLUS I can use it in the pool!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i have the ft 4, i really loved it, til i realized i was only burning 350 calories in a zumba class.... they say you can burn 800-1000, so i had a friend test hers... she was over 600 & she started hers after me... im trying to see which she has to get that one...

It all depends on your weight vs hers. If she weighs more than you, she will burn more.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    get the polar. they are a quality HRM and the most comfortable chest strap of the ones I have tried! i went with the Polar RCX5 because I use it for swimming as well.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LizJ08
    Options
    So how exactly does the chest strap work? How is it worn on the chest and do you wear it under or over your clothes?
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been using the FT7 for the last few months and I LOVE it....it's easy to use, easy to read and I can't go without it anymore...
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So how exactly does the chest strap work? How is it worn on the chest and do you wear it under or over your clothes?
    Under your clothes. I don't even notice mine when I wear it
  • LadyElby
    Options

Liz - Wear it under your clothes. Most women tuck it under the strap of their sports bra under their *ahem* chest. :p

Also, a tidbit I've read from a lot of people is to be sure to dampen the sensors on the strap just before putting it on so that it gets better traction to your skin and a better read of your HR.