Post workout food - Carbs or Protein?

rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 542 Member
I am doing weight lifting 3 days a week, and running the C25K three OTHER days of the week. I was wondering what would be the best post-workout snack/food would be? I have heard that post workout is the best time to carb load, but then others completely deny that, and say protein shakes are the way to go. Which is best, for which type of training, and why? I just want to make sure I am giving my body the right TYPE of fuel for recovery from each of these training programs...

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    You should have both carbs and 25+ grams of protein after resistance training for the best results. I'm not sure about running, although having some food that includes carbs and protein after a run wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 743 Member
    Carbs before...protein after...

Also depends on what u are doing at the gym..my work out definitely doesn't require a carb load before...but i definitely get protein after.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    I find chocolate milk really good after a work out!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 542 Member
    What are the benefits of carbs before/protein after?
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Protein after! For long runs it's imperative to consume protein within 30mins or less. Between 20-30grams is your best bet. This helps with muscle repair. I read everything I can about what to eat and when for running. Carb load before, Protein load after. Don't over do it, it's still calories which will add weight! Runnersworld.com and livestrong.com are amazing sources for working out and nutrition.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Carbs = fuel
    Protein = muscle repair
  • mkress77
    mkress77 Posts: 5
    You don't need anything post or pre workout. Focus on your caloric goal for the entire day. Eat when it is convenient to you.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Post workout studies have Shown an insulin spike is more effecient at helping the recovery of muscle than immediate protein. The protein should be consumed within 90 minutes o a workout but sooner cant hurt. Carbs high on the gi chart are great at insulin spikes, i prefer and recommend date sugar in a protein shake of atleast 30grams of protein
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Post workout studies have Shown an insulin spike is more effecient at helping the recovery of muscle than immediate protein. The protein should be consumed within 90 minutes o a workout but sooner cant hurt. Carbs high on the gi chart are great at insulin spikes, i prefer and recommend date sugar in a protein shake of atleast 30grams of protein

Carbs are not really needed, the insulin spike from the protein will be sufficient without adding in carbs
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Both. For best results, you should consume some carbs, fat, and protein within 24 hours of your workout. Or was it 36?
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member

Carbs are not really needed, the insulin spike from the protein will be sufficient without adding in carbs

I lift fairly intensely and like to make sure to get some glycogen stores started building back up pwo. Call me dumb buy its what i do, and date sugar makes my bland all natural protein taste better lol
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member

Yep, I agree with what you said...
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Carbs = fuel
    Protein = muscle repair

Short, sweet, to the point and exactly right