Half Marathon this weekend!

Options
My first half-marathon is coming up this Saturday, the 28th! I'm pretty excited about it. Anyone else running a half marathon this weekend or soon? What does your running schedule look like for this week? I ran three miles yesterday, supposed to do two today, and two tomorrow. Since I began training, I have only lost about 4-5 pounds. I do feel much better, though. I guess I was hoping to lose more pounds than that since I am averaging 20-ish miles per week :( But, hey, I never thought I could run 13 miles, so that is the most important part. Anyone else have similar issues?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I run 60 miles a week and I don't lose any real weight during a training cycle. Just the way it is if you want to fuel your runs.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My first half is 6/2.

My schedule the week of is:
    M - JM's Body Revolution
    T - 4 miles & JM's BR
    W - 2 miles
    Th/F - rest
    Sat - Half
    I am not losing lbs but have gained muscle and endurance.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

M - JM's Body Revolution
    T - 4 miles & JM's BR
    W - 2 miles
    Th/F - rest
    Sat - Half

I think a nice, easy shake out run of 2 slow miles the day before will have you better prepared than having two full rest days coming into the race.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!

I don't usually drop weight during a training cycle either. Like the PP said, you've got to fuel that performance.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options

M - JM's Body Revolution
    T - 4 miles & JM's BR
    W - 2 miles
    Th/F - rest
    Sat - Half

I think a nice, easy shake out run of 2 slow miles the day before will have you better prepared than having two full rest days coming into the race.
    [/quote

Good to know. Thank you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race!

I'm training for one at the end of May so I'm on a normal schedule rather than tapering but in the week before a race it's short easy runs for me too. Typically in the weeks leading up to a race I don't eat at much of a caloric deficit - I need the energy for training - so I tend to maintain my weight.

Remember to pace yourself, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the race and start out too quickly. Try to aim for a negative split (faster 2nd half), you'll end up passing those who came out too hard! Remember to smile as you cross the finish line (I always look like I've been stabbed in race photos :laugh: )
  • 20believe12
    20believe12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half this weekend too!! This week's running schedule is M/W, 3 miles each. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda nervous about the bathroom situation during my half... haha Good luck!!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Good luck on your race!

I'm training for one at the end of May so I'm on a normal schedule rather than tapering but in the week before a race it's short easy runs for me too. Typically in the weeks leading up to a race I don't eat at much of a caloric deficit - I need the energy for training - so I tend to maintain my weight.

Remember to pace yourself, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the race and start out too quickly. Try to aim for a negative split (faster 2nd half), you'll end up passing those who came out too hard! Remember to smile as you cross the finish line (I always look like I've been stabbed in race photos :laugh: )

Great advice...starting out slow and smiling at the end. OMG I have the WORST photo from a race back in 2009. Looks like I pooped my pants and am about to die! :noway: Terrible. From then on I put the most ridiculous smile on my face and wave with both arms.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    My first half is in the middle of May. I have no idea what I'll do in the week leading up. I guess I'll have to think on that.

I started training at the end of January and have lost 11lbs. I made a double goal, train to win and lose to gain. LOL! My pace keeps getting better thankfully. I will certainly carb up in the days leading up to the race and probably not count calories at all. It'll be healthy choices, I just don't want to know how many calories I eat because I don't want it to freak me out!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My 1st half is Sunday too! My schedule this week

M- ran 5
    T - 1 hour Arc Trainer and weights (only arms and abs!)
    W - 1 hour Arc Trainer and weights (no legs again!)
    Th - run 2 miles
    F and S - rest
    Sun - RACE DAY!!

Good luck!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My first is this weekend also, in Nashville. I did light runs of less than 3 miles each the past couple of days. No more running until Saturday :-)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You will be running with 29,999 other folks
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not my first half marathon, but my first in a while. :)
    m-5km and kickboxing
    t-6km and pilates
    w- hills 10km
    t-7km and hot yoga
    f- off
    s-3km
    sunday=raceday!!!

I am also training for a half marathon at the end of May which will be the race I will be really pushing myself. This weekend I will be going more at my long slow run pace, don't want to injure myself before my next half!
  • miad22
    miad22 Posts: 2
    Options
    I probably won't have time to run on Friday since I will be traveling. I am also doing the half marathon in Nashville! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Thanks for the tips.