Breakfast Ideas

Options
I have recently started working out with a personal trainer and am loving it. However, I am spending a lot of time and energy during our sessions trying not to throw up my breakfast. I usually eat about an hour before the work out and have 2 slices of Ezekial toast with peanut butter, honey, and ground flaxseed and a cup of coffee. This sits like a brick in my gut during the work out and I feel awful the whole time. I have already decided to cut out the coffee on work out days. Any suggestions for breakfast options that might not give me the same reaction?

Thanks!

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before I exercise or I'll get sick as well. If I work out in the morning, I have to do it before breakfast, and if I work out in the evening, it's usually 3-4 hours after I've eaten lunch. Sorry I'm no help, but I wanted at least let you know you're not alone!
  • yngsquared
    yngsquared Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I workout in the mornings, I normally have a banana, or something small, so I don't pass out from hunger. Then I'll eat my normal breakfast afterwards.
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem as the person above me with feeling sick if I don't eat pre workout. Peanut butter and toast usually work for me. The best pre workout breakfast I have had yet was a cup of multi grain cheerios with half a cup of almond milk and an apple about an hour before.

Our bodies could be totally different though.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much before my morning workouts, but sometime a 1/2 a banana works great for me. Just something small to get my metabolism going so my body does not try and think I am starving it.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem as the person above me with feeling sick if I don't eat pre workout. Peanut butter and toast usually work for me. The best pre workout breakfast I have had yet was a cup of multi grain cheerios with half a cup of almond milk and an apple about an hour before.

Our bodies could be totally different though.

This
  • captiva0513
    Options
    Protein shake and a small amount of fruit. It fills you up and the fruit gets your glucose up after the fasting state from sleeping for a morning workout. I always ate this before bootcamp every morning and never had any issues. Good luck!
  • Arunakae
    Arunakae Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with either eating something very small, or I personally just drink lots of water, before a morning workout and then I eat breakfast afterwards.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different 'processing' time for me i need close to two hours but i have a small bowl of muesli or porridge or toast, peanut butter would be too heavy for me if it was close to workout though, i tend to workout on an empty stomach but when i had early morning training sessions i'd grab a coffee and a fun size chocolate bar and still manage an hours hard run drills and 30 mins in the gym - i would though have a late supper the night before of toast and whatever i fancied on it.

experiment and see what works for you x
  • Laprincessatx
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts that is light and easy for me to cope with everyday, including work out days (which is every day for me) is a 1 - 1 1/2 cups of special K or plain corn flakes and vanilla almond milk. Toast and nuts (really any kind) always sit weird on my stomach. And with nuts, if I eat even a small portion I tend to get "fist" stomach -- I hate that tight hard-ball feeling!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help I have some great ideas... I will give them a try tomorrow! :)
  • lettie1955
    Options
    I eat an egg and 2-3 reduced fat triscuit.
  • yflores65
    yflores65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dinner after your workout. I;m struggling with that part and do not want to skip any meals. I run into the same problem so I have not been eating before my morning cardio. I started taking a Zumba class on weds which starts at 6:30 and it is way to close to the time I get home from work.
  • yflores65
    yflores65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Thats a great idea.

:smile:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A protein shake could be a great option or a protein bar! X
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like a poached egg on wheat toast with a miniscule amount of ketchup :)