hummus - please share

Options
fdlafon
fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
I'm interested in trying some homemade hummus and was hoping that you all would share your favorite recipes.

I enjoy spicy foods, so that would be good, but not required.

Also, what do you dip in it? veggies, crackers?

Replies

• siouxnkiowa4ever
    Options
    Mmmm I am also interested in this topic!!! I am very picky about hummus. I like the ones in restaurants rather than ones in the store. so homemade recipes are preferred by me as well!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump! Every recipe I made was a disaster.
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I take a big can of chickpeas, small can of chipotle peppers and about a tablespoon of EVOO and mix it up in my food processor. Yummy goodness!
  • crutter98
    Options
    Here is one I make every week. I usually eat it with cucumbers.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
    Chickpeas – 15oz can
    Red Bell Pepper, large
    Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
    Sesami Tahini- 2/3 Tablespoon
    Ground Cumin – 1/3 Tablespoon
    Smoked Paprika – ½ teaspoon
    Kosher Salt – ¼ teaspoon
    Fresh squeezed lemon juice – 1 lemon

Roast red bell pepper under the broiler until the skins on the pepper are blistered on all sides. Then place in a paper bag until cooled. Once the pepper is cooled remove the skin, seeds and membranes from the inside. Slice and place in food processor. Place all remaining ingredients in the food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
    Make 6 servings: 127 Calories per serving; 13g Carbs; 6g fat; 4g protein
  • Dmaxsgirl
    Dmaxsgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need a good hummus recipe too!:happy:
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I made some years ago, but I generally buy it premade. I have become obsessed with apple slices dipped in hummus. I have to really watch that I don't overeat it.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    allrecipes(dot)com has some great recipes. That's where I got mine from. Basically I used a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) 1-2 cloves of garlic, splash of lemon juice, and some of the reserved liquid the beans were packaged it (just enough to get it to the consistency I like). Then I added a bunch of cumin, prob ~1 TBSP, some red pepper flakes, cajun seasoning - whatever your heart desires!

Lately I've been too lazy to make my own hummus - it's such a pain to get the food processor out and cleaned etc. So I've been buying regular hummus, either a plain or roasted garlic variety, then I transfer it to a mixing bowl and add my own spices. Usually pretty much the same as I listed above. Then transfer it back into it's little tub and pop it in the fridge :) For me it's been the best of both worlds! The homemade version does have significantly less fat (no oil or tahini) but I've found some low-fat store versions as well.

Oh - and I usually eat it with some low-fat tortillas (nuke them for ~30 secs wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel - YUM!) or some nut thins by blue diamond - they're really tasty crackers and very light. Big fan. I've also eaten my hummus with cut up bell peppers and carrots too.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I dump since I make it so often now, but it goes something like this....
    1 big can of chickpeas
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp tahini
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 roasted red pepper
    Food process til smooth.

We eat it with all veggies and put it on wraps. My husband even puts it on pizza now!! We're addicted:)
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump-i looooove hummus!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Here's mine. You can increase the cayenne pepper to suit your taste for spiciness.

Hummus

2 cans chickpeas
    2-3 tbsps of tahini
    4-5 Garlic cloves
    1 tsp. cumin powder
    Juice of 2-3 limes (depends on how juicy they are), about 4-5 tbsps. to about 1/4 cup?
    I’m guessing here!
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
    Water as needed

Drain the chickpeas and rinse. If you have a food processor, it can handle all this stuff at once and you can just put it all in, except for the olive oil. Put that in at the end as explained below.

If you’re using a not-so-powerful blender like mine, put a bit of water at the bottom of the blender and start adding the chickpeas until they are all blended. If the mixture is too thick, keep adding water. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil and continue blending until smooth.

Add the olive oil through the hole at the top of the blender little by little. This will make the mixture even smoother. Once you’re done and you put the hummus in a container, drizzle some olive oil and paprika over the top.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1 big can of chickpeas
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp tahini
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 roasted red pepper
    Food process til smooth.

This is mine except I'll add a tsp of cumin as well.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Aldi grocery store has some really good already made hummus, several different kinds if you are in a hurry and can't make some!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Edamame Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 107.4 • Fat: 6.7 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 3.8 g • Protein: 6.1 g • Sugar: 0.5 g Sodium: 11.4 mg

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups edamame (green soy beans) cooked and shelled
    2 tbsp tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
    1/4 cup water plus more if needed
    1 tsp lemon zest
    juice of one lemon
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Kosher salt to taste
    pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    black and white sesame seeds as a garnish (optional) - I used poppy seeds and white sesame seeds b/c that is what I had!

Directions:
    In a food processor, blend soy beans, tahini, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 tsp olive oil until smooth. Add more water if needed until consistency is smooth. Place in a bowl and top with remainder oil and sesame seeds.

Garlic Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup
    Calories: 130• Fat:7 g • Carb: 17 g

1 can Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    Juice of one small lemon (add half at a time to desired taste)
    3 cloves garlic (I like bite with a bite, so I used 3 BIG cloves)
    3 TB Tahini
    Smidge of kosher salt
    1/4 cup water - add in steps
    1/2 Olive oil

Dump all except oil in food processor and blend until smooth. I started with half the water and added until desired consistency. Garnish with Olive oil and paprika. (or cayenne if you like a kick)

Black Bean Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup
    Calories: 110 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 15 g

1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
    Juice of one lime
    1 tsp cumin
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 TB diced cilantro
    3 TB tahini
    1/4 cup water - added in steps

Dump all in food processor and blend until smooth. I started with half the water and added until desired consistency. Garnish with additional cilantro.

I use tahini in all my hummus, but some good olive oil will work if you don’t have/use tahini.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I buy the Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus......It's so good I don't think I could make better at home.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Aldi grocery store has some really good already made hummus, several different kinds if you are in a hurry and can't make some!

YES! Their garlic lovers hummus is wonderful!
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love Hummus.... I don't know how to make my own, unfortunately :-( BUT I like to buy pitas, slice them in triangles (or long strips, whatever you prefer), and drizzle a little olive oil on them. Pop them in the oven at 325 F for a few mins (depending on your desired "crunchiness") and they are great for dipping! Sabra is a good brand, and the WalMart 'Marketside' brand in the produce section is great as well.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Take a plain hummus recipe and add cilantro and jalepeno (Whole Foods makes a great cilantro jalepeno hummus too). I also like plain hummus with siracha sauce mixed in.
  • Theaandelsa
    Theaandelsa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try barefoot contessa recipe sounded fab but have not made it yet
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Publix jalapeno & cilantro hummus - found a couple of recipes, but haven't tried them yet. I got burnt on a bad tzatziki recipe . . . still recovering.:cry: