Was Told Hypothyroidism is a Weight Loss Death Sentence

Options
So, I was told that having hypothyroidism is a death sentence when it comes to weight loss. I'm not sure if I believe this or not. I was diagnosed with it back in the 6th or 7th grade. I was put on Synthroid at the time and started doing the Richard Simmons videos a few times a week. I was able to lose weight that way. Eventually they took me off of the medication.. I wasnt on it more than 2 or 3 years at the very most. I continued to lose weight all throughout the rest of my jr high and high school career. Once I became a Jr in highschool, I went overboard and cut calories very low and worked out a lot. I got down to about 106-109lbs. That was way too low for me. 130-140 is the lowest I need to go for my body type. I am 5ft 6 and a medium, muscular build. (well should be muscular, lol) Anyway, once I got back to a more normal way of eatting and exercising I stayed within 140-155lbs. My activity was really mostly chasing my son and my active job. Then in early to mid 2008 I was diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism and was supposed to start taking Levothyroxine 25mcg but soon found out I was pregnant and the medication was not continued.I gained about 92lbs during my pregnancy.I've lost about 35lbs but now I cant get the scale to budge. I have been taking my medication, logging my food/drinks and trying to be more active. Ive been walking again, but right now I just dont have the time, money, energy, or the resources to join the gym. I would love to because they have an indoor pool and that is my #1 favorite thing to do, but what can I do for now to promote weight loss. Is losing 55-70lbs totally out of the queston because of my thyroid? I would love to be around 150 or less for my bday in April.

Replies

• momma2boys0609
    Options
    I also started eatting something about every 3 hrs if possible to keep my metabolism up. I jsut started that less than a week ago, but I will not be getting on the scale for about a week due to the soon expected visit from my monthly. I typically gain 4-7lbs during this time and that discourages me greatly.. So I am learning to stay off the scale around this time to prevent the frustration and depression of watching the numbers go up.:sad:
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have Hypothyroidism....diagnosed as Hashimoto's Disease. I am slowly working my way up to the 175mcg that my Dr thinks I should be on....I am currently on 75mcg so it will take a while to get up to where I should be. I have totally changed my intake to 90% clean foods and only whole grains...no sugar, no white flour...I excercise 6 days a week for 60 intense minutes (p90X)....

and....am only down a mere 22lbs in 3.5 months of HARD work!!!

My Dr has told me that it will be 2x as hard for me to lose the weight then an average person....talk about discouragement!! :grumble: But, I forge on....and hope that as my medication increases and my muscle builds, that I will continue to lose lose lose.....I have 50lbs to go....I'm hoping I can drop it in the next 6months....

All I can say for sure is that even though we have an extra hurdle doesnt mean that we shouldn't try and expect results....I think that even if this takes me a year instead of 6 months it would take someone else...I am still going to do it! my dr advised that the better my diet and better shape I am in...the easier it will be to adapt to the levothyroxine and maintain my thyroid levels....

Keep up the good work!!!!
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I dont plan on giving up, but it does get Very Discuraging sometimes. How do you like p90x?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroid medication since I was 11-years-old. Once your on the right dosage, your thyroid and losing weight shouldn't be a issue. :smile:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had half of my thyroid removed due to a benign mass in my thryoid. So far, the blood tests show me at normal levels - one time it was elevated towards Hypothyroidism. I'm just curious to how you know when it is affecting you. I feel like I have the "Brain Fog / Forgetfulness" a lot more these past 3 years and dry skin but I think that is because I'm over 30 yrs old now. I'm very curious if anyone has some input here. I don't think hypothryoidism has been my weight gain problem (in the past) but I want to recognize any symptoms that may be telling me I might need to have my hormones tested again.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroid medication since I was 11-years-old. Once your on the right dosage, your thyroid and losing weight shouldn't be a issue. :smile:

I agree with this. I have been on Levothyroxine (Eltroxin) for 16 years and even though it needs adjusted every few years I am finding weight loss not too difficult. I am however very tired a lot but I just push myself to do what I need to.

I have lost 31 lbs in 2.5 months by using clean eating and eating no junk whatsoever (granted that doesn't work for everyone as some people just need their treats once in a while to keep motivated) and drinking my water. I haven't exercised a lot to get there either just hiking sometimes and now I just started my first day of the C25K program.

I think the key thing that has worked for me even with the hypothyroidism (and sleep apnea which also makes you tired) is having unwavering faith in myself that I can do this. You must have faith in yourself and if you do, you can accomplish what you want.

Take care,
    Tammy
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I LOVE P90X! It was too hard in the beginning so my hubby and I started with 10 Minute Trainer...which is also done by Tony Horton (as is P90X). We did 2-3 10 minute sessions a day for a month and then switched to P90X (the LEAN schedule)....we have both seen results in our muscle tone, body fat loss and endurance and strength levels....we have completed a month and have 60 days to go....It is intense, but SO GOOD! I love that I can do it in my living room and that all I need is a mat, weights and a tv :happy: (I do push ups when Tony does Chin ups as I do not have a chin up bar or the upper body strength to do chin ups yet).

It is a great program, but you have to want to do it...it's a toughie :wink:
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Unfortunately, it isn't just the hypothyroidism which makes weight loss tough. The PCOS also causes it to be extraordinarily difficult. So, even if your Synthroid dose is correct, the PCOS is just another kick in the a** to your metabolism. Please don't get discouraged and compare yourself to others who have successfully lost weight while being hypothyroid....you are dealing with a whole different battle! BUT...don't despair...it can be done! It's going to be hard...I won't lie, but you CAN do it! Read as much as you can about both hypothyroid and PCOS. A Patient's Guide to PCOS by Walter Futterwite is the Bible of PCOS. Anything by Sara Rosenthal or Mary Shomon for thyroid should be required reading!
    Good luck to you! You can do it! Be patient with yourself and please!!! don't compare yourself to others with one disorder...your symptoms, sid e effects, etc truly are compounded exponentially, not just doubled! I wish you lots of success and I know you will be posting success stories in the future! :smile:
    Becky
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and diabetes..................

I am now able to lose weight fine, but no one wants to do it the way I am able to lose weight and have gotten off medication............

Good Luck to you.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I had half of my thyroid removed due to a benign mass in my thryoid. So far, the blood tests show me at normal levels - one time it was elevated towards Hypothyroidism. I'm just curious to how you know when it is affecting you. I feel like I have the "Brain Fog / Forgetfulness" a lot more these past 3 years and dry skin but I think that is because I'm over 30 yrs old now. I'm very curious if anyone has some input here. I don't think hypothryoidism has been my weight gain problem (in the past) but I want to recognize any symptoms that may be telling me I might need to have my hormones tested again.

Brain Fog / Forgetfullness - eating clean and pretty low carb cleared that up for me.

Dry Skin - Using coconut oil for cooking and skin moisturizer. Inside and out...........
  • nicolet04
    Options
    do you have a ymca in your area? they go by your income for the membership fee and even if u feel like u cant afford the reduced price, they will work with you so u can afford it! i have a friend that has a family of 4 and only pays $8 a month and that includes daycare! just a thought, good luck!
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    do you have a ymca in your area? they go by your income for the membership fee and even if u feel like u cant afford the reduced price, they will work with you so u can afford it! i have a friend that has a family of 4 and only pays $8 a month and that includes daycare! just a thought, good luck

I'm not aware of a YMCA in the area, but I did just hear that a local Dr.s Clinic is offering scholarships based on income. I will look into this on Tuesday and see what they can offer. Right now I have a 3 yr old and a 6and ahalf month old, I'm a full time student, and I have no vehicle, so unfortunately, I am dependent on other people for even the basic things in life these days, such as getting to the Dr. or grocery store. I wish I could get people to understand that I could use an hr a few days a week to hit the gym or the pool and for more than just fitness. Hopefully, if they can offer a scholarship to the local gym, I will feel ok about putting them in the onsite daycare for an hr a few times a week. My goal is to get a mini van when I graduate school and get a good job. I want to do things with my kids like play with them at the park, go for bike rides on the local trail, etc. I want to be a fun, active family that isnt electronically depedent for fun. LOL!
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I have been on Levothyroxine (Eltroxin) for 16 years and even though it needs adjusted every few years I am finding weight loss not too difficult. I am however very tired a lot but I just push myself to do what I need to.

I have lost 31 lbs in 2.5 months by using clean eating and eating no junk whatsoever (granted that doesn't work for everyone as some people just need their treats once in a while to keep motivated) and drinking my water. I haven't exercised a lot to get there either just hiking sometimes and now I just started my first day of the C25K program.

I think the key thing that has worked for me even with the hypothyroidism (and sleep apnea which also makes you tired) is having unwavering faith in myself that I can do this. You must have faith in yourself and if you do, you can accomplish what you want.

Take care,
    Tammy

I forgot to mention that I have PCOS as well. So hypothyroidism, PCOS, sleep apnea, bipolar and a couple of other health issues that mostly result in fatigue and very low metabolism. Anyway, you CAN do it. It may be harder but it is very much doable. Just have faith in yourself and hopefully this doesn't come across as... negative but, don't let yourself use these conditions as an excuse or a crutch. That is exactly what I did for years and years but once I stopped that pattern of thinking I was able to take control and do what I needed to do to kick start my new lifestyle.

Good luck and best wishes!!!
    Tammy
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Thanks Tammy for the encouragement & the good advice. I appreciate it very much. I will be sure to work on staying positive and not give up. Im one that throws in the towel or goes way overboard the other way(as in not eatting anything) when things go slow, but not this time. THis time I want to di it right. The pressure of having to wear a white dress on September 24th for graduation is wearing on me, but Im not going to let it anymore. I'll work hard and do what I can, but this is a lifelong change that is going to take soem time to see results. So while I amy not be 130lbs in time for graduation, lol, I will at least be on my way to a healthier and thinner me.