wii fit or wii sports active

Options
I was at the store yesterday and I am really interested in getting a wii fit for when the weather starts turning cold so I could still do something indoors. The kid at the store said the fit is more strength, yoga, and toning, if I really wanted something aerobics and active that I should get the active. I am interested in hearing what some of you who have the wii fit and/or active think.

Replies

• hdawg
    hdawg Posts: 28
    Options
    I think he is right. I don't have active, but wii fit isn't that great for burning lots of calories. It's good if you want to work on your balance and do a little strength training. The lunges are super hard :).
  • crazy8ah
    Options
    I have the wii fit and they do have step aerobics and running in place and they do have some games for the wii fit that are cardio based i.e. Jillian Michaels fitness I think it's called.:glasses:
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    thanx, I really need something that will help me burn some calories when I can't get outside and work out. I do not have a gym membership and I can't afford one right now. My husband is really pleased with my weight loss so far. He went out and bought us a wii because he wanted to get me something to do in the winter.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    The active probably does burn more calories. I wanted the Wii Fit because of the Yoga and Strength Training. The aerobics are OK too and a lot of fun to do. If aerobics is what your after, then the active is probably better for you. Good Luck.
  • jro1
    jro1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have both and I would recommend the Active. It is kind of like doing a workout dvd, but everyday is a different "routine" so you don't get bored.
  • Momma2four
    Options
    I have both and I would recommend the Active. It is kind of like doing a workout dvd, but everyday is a different "routine" so you don't get bored.

Thanks so much, that sounds like a lot of fun......
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    I have the Wii fitness coach -- you will definetly burn calories!

You pick an area to work on (upper, lower, full cardio, yoga) you can program it from 15 to 75 minutes and it can incorporate balance balls, hand wights, step if you have them into the program but you DO NOT need them. I do 30 mins cardio with no other equipment. At the end it tell me that I burnt 305 calories. I am not sure how acurate it is but I am definetly sweating at the end! It does not work with the balance board. I also just got the Wii fit. I have a really bad foot / ankle and I think it will help to strenghten ...which will help me move better in general. Good luck on your purchase!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    [

Thank you, all your input is great. I wanted to make sure we were making the right choice. I think we are going with the active . Just playing the boxing on the regular sport game is a killer for my arms,:happy: Yes I have never been so excited about sore arms because it was really a lot of fun getting them:laugh:
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have both, and there are benefits to both. But I think you are doing the right thing, in getting the Active.

I like the Wii fit age test. It also weighs you and gives you your BMI. But it's tough to get enough cardio from the Wii Fit. I think the Wii Fit is a great motivator for kids, who like to play video games. Like so many of the Wii games, it gets you up off the couch and moving.

But for straight exercise - no games- the Active is a better choice.
    I don't care for some of their motivators though. The trophy thing -- kind of cheesy. I mean really, who cares? And I don't like how they have their goals and daily journal thing set up either. I don't do them.
    But it does work you out-- it does tell you approximately how many calories you burned as well. I wouldn't vouch for the accuracy, but it's a nice reference.
    Enjoy!
  • mama_to4
    Options
    The Wii active for sure if your trying to lose weight and burn calories!