Help me learn to dance...

Options
CallieM15
CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
So I am rhythmically challenged. I want to go out dancing and to the clubs, but I feel like id embarrass my boyfriend. He is amazing with his stupid slick guy moves. LOL.

WOMEN – How do you get your hips to move the way you do… I was thinking about getting a dance workout? Maybe that would teach me? I feel so silly… I’m young why doesn’t it come naturally! When I lose this weight I don’t wanna be that left footed person at the club…

Help!

I have a Wii, and Netflix…

Replies

• Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Dont over think dancing! Also relax let the beat of the music move your body try going on youtube for dance moves. Its easy, cheap and fun! x
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I own about a dozen DVD dance workouts that I love, and that keep me interested.. and I'm a dance teacher.
    They are called Dance Off the Inches, and they come in just about every dance genre you could want, from country line-dancing to hip-hop to belly dancing. They even make a Hip-Hop dance workout that is divided into 10-minute workouts for days when you don't have a lot of time. The moves aren't just boring cardio moves- these are real dance moves that you can use at the club.

I highly recommend them!
  • CallieM15
    Options
    Im am HORRIBLY challenged... highschool dances, never danced. Never had a place where i dance. I love dressing up and looking girly, but i never feel sexy, i feel stupid. LOL
  • CallieM15
    Options
    I own about a dozen DVD dance workouts that I love, and that keep me interested.. and I'm a dance teacher.
    They are called Dance Off the Inches, and they come in just about every dance genre you could want, from country line-dancing to hip-hop to belly dancing. They even make a Hip-Hop dance workout that is divided into 10-minute workouts for days when you don't have a lot of time. The moves aren't just boring cardio moves- these are real dance moves that you can use at the club.

I highly recommend them!

I am googleing them right now.

Think Signing up for Zumba at my gym would help? I heard its sorta like dancing...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to the club someone commented that I probably don't go out dancing too often, huh. Maybe I need some practice too?
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Start with simple, basic moves. Hit youtube for tutorials on popular moves & sequences. Put on some SLOW music and practice. Yes I'm a guy but I have rhythm and have been successfully taught gymnastics & classical tap (think Fred Astaire) stuff. I don't get into the hip-hop stuff, more the aggressive ballroom stuff. The styles are difference, but the learning method is basically the same. Start slow with less body involved. Practice. Jam out up and down the hall as you walk around doing your day to day stuff.

Start as small as you have to in order to get rhythm down. If that means tapping along or snapping your fingers, do it.

JM
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! I cant wait to start!! You dont have to be able to dance to do the moves.. BUT you end up learning how to sway........

that being said..

you NEEED to stop caring that you dont know how to dance... shyte girl I cant dance!! lmao!! You should see me on the dance floor.. its awwwffuullll but you know what? I have a blast!!! I dont have hips to sway lol... Im like a noodle with a gut :P. You just gotta do what you feel! Who cares what you look like doin it :)

Oh and I have a wii and loooooooooooove Just Dance (1 2 3)
  • CallieM15
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! I cant wait to start!! You dont have to be able to dance to do the moves.. BUT you end up learning how to sway........

that being said..

you NEEED to stop caring that you dont know how to dance... shyte girl I cant dance!! lmao!! You should see me on the dance floor.. its awwwffuullll but you know what? I have a blast!!! I dont have hips to sway lol... Im like a noodle with a gut :P. You just gotta do what you feel! Who cares what you look like doin it :)

Oh and I have a wii and loooooooooooove Just Dance (1 2 3)

Hahaaa. Okay ill stop caring so much. Its WAY EASIER to dance when ive had a few drinks.. So maybe im just super nervous. ;P Im going to look at zumba for the wii!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    See what dance lessons are offered in your area. There's a swing dancing place in Sacramento that's in an old dance hall. Lessons are cheap and they go nice and slow at first. So much fun!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Alcohol!! :drinker:
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Dont over think dancing! Also relax let the beat of the music move your body try going on youtube for dance moves. Its easy, cheap and fun! x

100% agree with what she said!!!
  • northernlights907
    Options
    If I lived in Anchorage I would soo teach you how to dance girl! Shake your butt and hips! Practice in front of a mirror and watch music videos?
  • BodyPumpDaveInFL
    BodyPumpDaveInFL Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It may be easier to learn rhythm if you take a group class that' is more boxed in - ie. step ( not dance but rhythmic ) or group strength (rhythmic) or a floor class. Most group classes is a 32 count but with Zumba (or similar) you have to worry about more planes (ie back and forth side to side etc). Step you are boxed into an area.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    youtube has great free vids
  • nyxt
    nyxt Posts: 60
    Options
    Everyone would probably tell you to just feel the music. Haha! It's true, though. You simply have to move with the rhythm. But if you really really really can't dance, I suggest you do exercises for particular parts of your body. You can go to youtube and watch isolation tutorials. Like, for example, there is an isolation technique for the hips where you move your hips to four corners around your body's axis until you can do a smooth figure 8 with them. Stuff like that. Also, you can do core workouts because when your core is stong, you get to move everything else easily.

But really, best thing to do is relax and have fun. Add in a little alcohol too to boost your confidence XD