Got Shrimp?

Options
fitJoce
fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
I have a 2lb bag of shrimp thawing in the sink. I want to make something healthy for dinner that the kids will like too. Any ideas? I was thinking baked Coconut Shrimp. Any other ideas or recipes?

Replies

• jbova88
    jbova88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We love to grill shrimp, I toss it with some olive oil and garlic, and then sprinkle with some cajun seasoning before grilling, and I'll make it with veggies and string it on kabob sticks and serve with brown rice or cous cous for a complete meal.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    How about a grilled shrimp scampi. Takes about 35 min to prep and cook:

Ingredients
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    ground black pepper to taste
    crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
    1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions
    1.In a large, non-reactive bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and black pepper. Season with crushed red pepper, if desired. Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
    2.Preheat grill for high heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard any remaining marinade.
    3.Lightly oil grill grate. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.

ENJOY! :smile:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    shrimp creole!!!!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the scampi recipe.
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, the scampi sounds good!! I wonder how well it would work on a George Forman grill?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I always just make stir fry because its easy, lol
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hawaiian Shrimp -- Marinate and skewer shrimp with pinapple chunks, red bell pepper & mushrooms (or zucchini). Grill.
    Enjoy on bed of brown rice
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I make cajun shrimp. If the kids don't like spicy you can pull theirs before adding the second dash of cajun seasoning.

Ingredients:
    Shrimp
    Brown Rice
    Celery
    Green Bell Pepper
    Onion
    Cajun Seasoning
    Diced Tomatoes in can w/ garlic and basil
    olive oil or butter
    salt
    1/4 cup skim milk

1. Rinse and peel shrimp.
    2. Chop celery, onions, and bell pepper into bite sized pieces.
    3. Melt butter into pan or heat up olive oil into pan on the stovetop at medium heat.
    4. Sautee the veggies in the pan until the onions carmelize a bit.
    5. Add a dash of salt and cajun seasoning (1-2 tsp).
    6. Turn down the heat slightly and add the milk.
    7. Cook the shrimp over the veggies.
    8. Prepare the brown rice.
    9. Once the shrimp turn pink and are cooked thoroughly, remove the kids' portion.
    10. Add more cajun seasoning (can add Tobasco and/or cayenne if you need more heat.)
    11. Stir tomatoes into the cooked brown rice (add as much or as little as you like.)
    12. Serve the cajun shrimp over the rice.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    I always just make stir fry because its easy, lol
    Had that for lunch :smile:
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also do shrimp a la vodka every once and a while. Super easy!

Buy vodka sauce from the store (check the spagetti sauce aisle, Bertolli's has a good one.)

Sautee the shrimp in a large pan on the stovetop at medium heat using 2 tbsp of butter or 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper (can add other Italian seasonings if you want.)

Make brown rice or wheat pasta while shrimp are cooking.

Once the shrimp are pink and cooked throughly, use a napkin to wipe the pan to remove excess butter and/or oil.

Add vodka sauce to the pan with the shrimp. Allow to simmer until hot.

Serve over rice or pasta.
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just made this shrimp pasta dish the other nite and it was awesome!!

My picky 5 year old already wants me to make it again.

http://www.food.com/recipe/Garlic-Shrimp-and-Pasta-Low-fat-recipe-9156
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love shrimp!! I usually like to mix it w brown rice (just a tiny serving), black beans, corn & avocado!! Muy Yummy!!!! I call it "Shrimp Bowl" :)
  • Astephens1984
    Astephens1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump for later!!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    "Anyway, like I was saying, shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That--that's about it.":wink:
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • fitJoce
    Options
    "Anyway, like I was saying, shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That--that's about it.":wink:
    Thanks Forest :laugh:
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BUMP for skinny taste links