Protein Powder

Options
So I hear all this talk about how not to get the wrong protein powder and such, and I just don't know what to get anymore! Any help for something that is affordable and good for me?

Replies

• ScaleAndSteel
    Options
    I get Body Fortress Advanced Whey Isolate from Walmart. It works just as good as all the expensive brands. People get wrapped up in marketing and what the container looks like and who sells it. Don't. Isalate from Body Fortress is great stuff.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have tried many... but am stuck on the Intek Evolution Protein Powder... In chocolate.
    It is DIVINE in taste and has so many ingredients that are good for you it is hard to list them all.
    Check out their website and compare... I promise you wont find one that is close.

I am waiting on mine in the mail right now since we dont have a place that sells near us.
    It is expensive, but well worth it.

http://inteknutrition.com/PRODUCTS/PROTEIN EVOLUTION/protein.html

Since I am out, I am using the EAS Whey Protein. It is good, good flavor and cheap... but I really LOVE the Intek.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    anyone else?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Gaspari Myofusion. Great nutritionals, great flavor great price. I get it at SB Muscle for under $40 for 5 lbs.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What's the "wrong" powder?

I use Lean Fit.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Actually I was going to create a thread about protein shakes, glad that someone else already did. Do you guys drink protein shakes for extra cals, or to bulk up? Thanks
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Actually I was going to create a thread about protein shakes, glad that someone else already did. Do you guys drink protein shakes for extra cals, or to bulk up? Thanks
    Eating excess calories causes weight gain, so your question doesn't really make sense.

i buy isofuel from muscleandstrength.com. mixes pretty well in water and has a really good calorie-protein ratio, 104cal:25grams.
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Will follow this thread - am interested in reading more....
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Eating excess calories causes weight gain, so your question doesn't really make sense.

i buy isofuel from muscleandstrength.com. mixes pretty well in water and has a really good calorie-protein ratio, 104cal:25grams.

:) maybe it didn't come out right -- I don't want to eat lots of calories, but sometimes when I exercise a lot my net calories are around 800 so I was told I can add some extra cals with protein shakes.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying Progressive VegeGreen Vegan Protein Vanilla. Did anyone ever try that one?
  • sherripaxton
    sherripaxton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I'm using now, I threw away the outside wrapper. It's vanilla and I mix it will Silk Soy Milk every morning. I also drink Muscle Milk Light and/or Eas Carb Control at work because they are portable and we have a mini fridge. But I've been looking at the Jackie Warner powder. It seems to have everything but the kitchen sink in there, but it's way more expensive so I'm waffling. Anyone else try it?

$40 for 22 OZ seems ridiculous but the sugar free, additive free, gluten free + all the good stuff they mention has me looking twice.

http://www.jackiewarner.com/eat/whey-isolate-protein-powder-vanilla-bean

Good buy or good marketing?
  • carrieebg
    carrieebg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really like protein powders. My weight fluctuates between 112 and 114 so I definitely use the protein powders to maintain or lose weight. I have used the EAS and Max Muscle brands.

Thank you for the intek nutrition suggestion:)

Also, I have been using the Body by Vi powder and I am loving all the recipes. (I do not sell it) I use the recipes with any of the protein powers I happen to purchase, because they are all so good.

Best of luck :)
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like protein powder for quick breakfast to go - I use skim milk & frozen fruit which makes a nice thick shake. I've been using Nature's Plus - it has enzymes which seem to do good for me. I feel satisfied well into lunch time.

You may find the following info helpful: …from diet.net.nz

The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs Michael & Mary Dan Eades. This book builds on the Paleolithic diet they recommended in their first book, Protein Power.

There are three levels of the dietary part of the plan, depending on your level of commitment and the health changes you want to make:
    • Hedonist - "starter" level with the changes that will give the most benefit with the least effort. No trans fats, potentially rancid fats, soft drinks, diet soft drinks or aspartame.
    • Dilettante - a "middle of the road" approach for those who are prepared to make a few more changes without being quite as restrictive as the Purist. As above, plus no wheat, corn, millet, rye, soy oil, fructose, corn syrup, nitrites or MSG. Try to buy organic & free range as much as possible.
    • Purist - the optimum diet for health and wellbeing - the modern equivalent of a Paleolithic diet. This avoids all grains, legumes, dairy (except micro-filtered whey protein), processed foods, sugars (except honey) and artificial sweeteners, caffeine and alcohol. All food should be organic and free range.
    Whichever level you choose, there are 3 stages of the plan. Your carbohydrate levels will be restricted, which will further limit your carb choices:
    • Intervention - 7-10 g per meal & optional snack = < 40g per day. Stay at this level till any insulin-resistance symptoms have settled (or 1-2 weeks, if you don't have any blood pressure, blood sugar or blood lipid problems). When you've achieved your health objectives, or are close to your reduced weight objective, move on to :
    • Transition - 15g per meal & optional snack = < 60g per day. Stay here for a week or so, then move into:
    • Maintenance - each week, increase by 5g per meal (20g per day) till reach equilibrium. This MAY be approx equal to your mimimum protein requirement (but not your total protein intake, if that is higher). Stay at this level for life - or as long as you want to have good health!

Protein powders …
    Protein powders of any kind are NOT whole foods. We don't recommend you rely on them as a main protein source. Better to get your protein from a range of fresh animal products, such as meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy, if you can tolerate it.
    But sometimes it's the only convenient way of having some protein after a workout. And if it's a choice between having a protein shake for breakfast, or going without breakfast, have the shake. Throw in couple of raw egg yolks (yes, I do mean the yolks, not the whites) for all those excellent fat-soluble nutrients, and some blueberries for flavor and antioxidants.
    If you ARE going to have a shake, unless you are severely dairy intolerant, good quality whey protein is the only kind we recommend. Soy protein powder in particular should always be strictly avoided.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I was looking into getting protein powder too. Have been getting many different opinions on brands....