Has anyone tried Alli?

Options

Replies

• dollymixsix
    dollymixsix Posts: 112
    Options
    I got it prescribed to me by my doctor, but it never did a thing for me. If anything, I gained weight. So I threw the whole lot in the bin!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. I lost 14 lbs on it in about 3 weeks when it 1st came out as a prescription medication.

A couple of tips for you:
    1. ALWAYS carry at least one extra pair of underwear with you. EVERYWHERE you go. Also a change of clothes is an excellent idea as well.
    A. It doesn't hurt to also pack around extra toilet paper. A travel size pack of kleenex works well.
    2. Do not wear light colored pants/skirts. This includes tan/khaki colored scrubs.
    3. Do NOT eat pepperoni pizza; EVER, while taking this medication.
    4. Never stray far from a restroom; preferably a secluded, soundproof one.
    5. Don't work long shifts on your feet in a busy ER while taking this medication.

See the pattern?
    Yes, so did my coworkers and patients. It only takes one funny joke or a sneeze to ruin your day and get you a new nickname.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    ^ I laughed my *kitten* off at all of that. Not on Alli, though, so the panties survived. :laugh:

I've read it before, but I was snorting rereading it, lol
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Keep baby wipes in your handbag.:flowerforyou:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Your *kitten* will melt away :-) At least that is what it will feel like dripping down your leg!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it, but besides what the others have said, I would also be concerned about fat soluable vitamins not being absorbed and also not getting the beneficial effects of the good fats you eat.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yup it didn't do anything for me except make me poo and it was all water weight I didn't even loose a pound and with the price way wasn't worth it!
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    save yourself all that money!!! if you don't u better buy some depends!!LOL just in case your tempted to eat something fatty and u do eat it and fart OMG so enough said just log into MFP and keep track and you will loose!!! Trust me on this, been there done that and ain't goin back anymore that way!!!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the stuff they give alcoholics which makes them sick if they drink alcohol except this one makes you sick if you eat fat. The problem I see with that is that some fat is good for you. You need fat in your diet and if I'm going to be risking being stinky pants at work I had better look like Gloria from Modern Family or Joan from Mad Men overnight.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I have used it when it was by prescription and later as over the counter. It helps because if you don't watch your fat intake you will know it. I really watched my fat and lost weight. I maintain a low fat diet now without it and am loosing weight just fine. I know someone who took it and thought they could eat what they wanted. They found out the hard way about it. You can do it without the Alli and enjoy some treats along.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    It sounds like the stuff they give alcoholics which makes them sick if they drink alcohol except this one makes you sick if you eat fat. The problem I see with that is that some fat is good for you. You need fat in your diet and if I'm going to be risking being stinky pants at work I had better look like Gloria from Modern Family or Joan from Mad Men overnight.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lol, Stinky pants!!! BAHAHHAAHAHAH
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i think you might want to buy adult diapers

b38997950fde1ea2082d1f5079b04f07.jpg
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    ALLIOFFICE.jpg
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. I lost 14 lbs on it in about 3 weeks when it 1st came out as a prescription medication.

A couple of tips for you:
    1. ALWAYS carry at least one extra pair of underwear with you. EVERYWHERE you go. Also a change of clothes is an excellent idea as well.
    A. It doesn't hurt to also pack around extra toilet paper. A travel size pack of kleenex works well.
    2. Do not wear light colored pants/skirts. This includes tan/khaki colored scrubs.
    3. Do NOT eat pepperoni pizza; EVER, while taking this medication.
    4. Never stray far from a restroom; preferably a secluded, soundproof one.
    5. Don't work long shifts on your feet in a busy ER while taking this medication.

See the pattern?
    Yes, so did my coworkers and patients. It only takes one funny joke or a sneeze to ruin your day and get you a new nickname.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I'm so sorry but I am laughing so hard.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Dulcolax are cheaper and basically do the same thing!... if you're going to take pills go for fat burners which will actually boost your metabolism and give you energy to exercise so you can then get physically fitter as you are actually exercising more!

They stop working as well after a while but by that time you might be able to exercise for long enough yourself that you don't need them to give you the energy.

I started by using them as I had severely low energy with under active thyoid and other medical issues I struggled to keep going for 30 mins.. I tried capsiplex which initially gave me a huge energy boost and I was then doing 2 hours sessions at 5 am! The pounds and inches dropped off at first, it slowed down but was enough to get me started. I've been doing an hour a day without taking any since before xmas now. Even if I don't manage anything more energetic I go on the exercise pedals whilst watching telly at night and can still burn an extra 600 cals for the day. When I've got time and energy and nothing else on I try and do some pilates or boxing/tennis on wii too.

I found when I stopped exercising I quickly felt tired again and energy levels dropped and when got back into my energy levels improved again without taking anything extra.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    popping in for the laughs
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Been there and used them. Has no side effects but got bored with such a restrictive diet.
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tried it..first few days i had to get the fat intake under control or i was in the bathroom throughout the day..after being on it for a month i dont have any side affects after being strict on the diet plan..but no significant weightloss..would i buy it again and waste 60 bucks...nope
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ah,:wink: I love this thread. Some hilarious and graphic accounts. Ok, Alli: from a nurse's point of view, this drug is a watered down version of a very effective drug, called Orlistat. This blocks fat in the gut, so u don't absorb it. It comes out in faeces. Orlistat is very good on the morbidly obese, who cannot resist fatty foods. However, Alli is a weaker version, and much less effective. Bear this in mind- you will not be able to exercise, because you will poo yourself, you will not be able to wear white, because you will poo yourself. You will not be comfortable at intimate moments, because.... well, you get the idea! :embarassed: Alli works by blocking fat, so some people avoid fat, to avoid the diarrhoea. They therefore lose weight because they avoid fat, not because of the drug. It will work if you are on Atkins, and most of your diet is fat. You will be beautifully slim, but never leave the toilet, to show off your figure. Unless you are morbid obese, and diabetic, and had a heart attack, the benefits are really not enough to compensate for the side effects. Good luck with your ongoing weight loss. sounds like you are doing very well without drugs to help X
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    popping in for the laughs

i read this as "pooping" in.