Yet another question about Polar HRM's

I am thinking about purchasing a HRM, and I hear that Polar is a great brand. If you have any suggestions on what model to purchase that would be much appreciated.
But to the question...... In order for it to work properly are you required to wear it all day, or can you just wear it while you are working out?

Replies

• Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 201 Member
    I love my FT4 model. You just wear it when you workout unless you want to see what you burn on a regular day. Most people just wear it during workouts. I don't know what I would do without mine. It is such a releif knowing you r a little more accurate on your calorie counting. Nothing is perfect but it is more individualized and not based on the average person. The FT4 is cheaper and does the trick unless you want one that can record 2 people's workout seperately and I think you can hook that one up to your computer. I am the only one using mine and I put my calories in myself so the 4 was ok for me. Good luck and you are definitely not going to regret getting one.
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    hi there, I have the FT60 and love love love LOVE it!
    Not sure where you are located but it retails in shops here in Australia for $260 without the flowlink (data cable) but I found it online within australia WITH a 2yr warranty and data cable for $206 :-) I won't train without it! :-)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I got an FT4 over the weekend. I LOVE it. I entered my age, weight, height and gender and all I have to do is wet the pads and strap it on before a workout. I was shocked at the difference between what MFP estimates for an activity and what the HRM says. MFP says I burned 150 calories after an hour on my Xbox. My Xbox said 100 calories. My HRM says 400. I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. If I'm going through the effort to track my food accurately, it makes sense to track my exercise accurately too.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    I'm another FT4 user. It keeps track of your past workouts in its memory bank as well, so if you work out, log it in the HRM, and have a second workout later before you reach a computer, you can hit the settings on the watch half and see both burns. It saves more than 2; just giving an example.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    I have the ft7 bought it online at bodytronics.com for 76 dollars and they have a coupon code "POPO" will save you 5%
  • Love my ft4 <3
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    I got an FT4 last week, and I love it! bought at bodytronics for only 62!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    The FT4 is cheaper and does the trick unless you want one that can record 2 people's workout separately

No Polar model can record two peoples workout's separately.. HRM's are made to be used by one person and one person only. You also should not wear them all day as they are not made for that.

To OP:
    Most popular models on here Polar FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60.

I started out with an FT7 and now use an FT60.. both are wonderful models, and I've had no issues with them.

It really depends on what features you want it to have, as each model does different things.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have the Polar FT60 and love it... It allows you to set your Vo2 Max for better accuracy.... I got mine from here:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ft60.html
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    love my Polar F6, with chest strap. had it 3+ years and battery changed once.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    A regular beart rate monitor should not be worn all day. Well, you can, but it says in the instructions that the readings won't be accurate. They're deisgned to be used during exercise only. If you want something to calculate calories daily, there's a different device for that. Can't remember the name, sorry.

One of the most common complaints for the earlier models was the inability for the user to change to battery. They would have to be sent back to the manufacturer. I think ft4 and above will let you change the battery yourself.
  • SerinaK
    SerinaK Posts: 87
    I've had mine for 4 years and it's amazing. I always use it when I workout. It's also great to use when you go to the gym, the machines are not that reliable. It sometimes asks for your weight or male/female. But the HRM is your own personal diary that the machines do not have.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 201 Member
    I didn't mean at the same time. There are models that allow you to put 2 people's info in so 2 people can use it seperately. There are people who have reported using theirs to track everyday movement for their curiosity but not an everyday thing.
    The FT4 is cheaper and does the trick unless you want one that can record 2 people's workout separately

No Polar model can record two peoples workout's separately.. HRM's are made to be used by one person and one person only. You also should not wear them all day as they are not made for that.

To OP:

I started out with an FT7 and now use an FT60.. both are wonderful models, and I've had no issues with them.

It really depends on what features you want it to have, as each model does different things.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    hi there, I have the FT60 and love love love LOVE it!
    Not sure where you are located but it retails in shops here in Australia for $260 without the flowlink (data cable) but I found it online within australia WITH a 2yr warranty and data cable for $206 :-) I won't train without it! :-)

ive got the same, i wore mine all day to start with, i was curious now i just wear it to the gym or derby training, if i think im going to have a really active day some times ill put it on. i forgot it the other day and didnt realise till id parked my car at the gym & had to drive all the way back home to get it
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    sorry this is the second polar ive owned nothing was really wrong with the last one either im just a watch tart, the new ones you can change all the batteries yourself, the old ones you had to take to the watch makers to get new batteries
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

To OP:

I didn't mean at the same time. There are models that allow you to put 2 people's info in so 2 people can use it seperately. There are people who have reported using theirs to track everyday movement for their curiosity but not an everyday thing.

Not sure what Polars you've heard of, but there are no models that allow you to put two peoples info in.

If two people wanted to use the same HRM, they would have to change the info each time because as I've stated previously, they are made for one person..not multiple.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    I love my FT7. I bought a second strap, just to switch out since I exercise every day. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another FT7 if needed.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I have older model Polar. The monitor is worn only during the workout. You can wear it longer, but you might wear out the transmitter. I once had someone wear it to try a primitive biofeedback experiment. I wanted to see if his heart rate slowed if he calmed down.

The instructions say to remove the transmitter from the strap after using it.

I don't think HRMs are reliable calorie burn estimators.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    I have FT 60.
    I love it.

Go to the polar website and it can select the right one for you by you telling it your goals..
    I wouldn't wear it all day.. its not meant for that.

I bought mine off amazon for about $130-160 CAD.. cant remember how much.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 227 Member
    FT60. It's sort of a raspberry color. I think I paid $140 on Amazon. You don't have to wear it all day--just when you work out. I love mine!