Elliptical Trainer

Options
I recently started going back to the gym. I can do 30 minutes minimum on every single machine in there expect the Elliptical Trainer. I rarely last a good two minutes before I feel like I can't go on. I see others working out for 30 mins or more continuously on this machine. I keep giving myself goals to reach like adding on an additional min each time. But that never works. I feel so frustrated. Does anyone else find this machine as intimidating as I do?

Replies

• JNC87
    JNC87 Posts: 16
    Options
    yea i did in the beginning too its a full body work out so its a great machine but can be tricky. but like u said just add one min at a time and when u can do that add another minute but make urself do it. good luck!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Do you have it on a really hard setting? I set mine for fat burn, but you could set it on manual and set the speed/incline yourself. That way you could get used to the machine and not feel discouraged. You can definitely do this and soon people will be jealous of you burning up those calories on the elliptical :wink:
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks JNC87, I'm going to keep at it...I hate failing at anything :-)

Courtney, I'll have to double check all of the settings on the machine and program it for super duper beginner. LOL Thanks for the encouragement.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    The first time I did the elliptical at the gym I did about 2-3 minutes. I too saw others doing much longer. I just did as much as I could each day until I got better. I now can do 15-20 min easily. One day when nothing else was available I actually did 45 min. Just keep doing a little at a time and it will come.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Do you have it on a really hard setting? I set mine for fat burn, but you could set it on manual and set the speed/incline yourself. That way you could get used to the machine and not feel discouraged. You can definitely do this and soon people will be jealous of you burning up those calories on the elliptical :wink:

I'd recommend using the "manual mode" and setting it at level 1. You should find that to be easier than either the fat burn or cardio modes because in those modes, the machine will adjust the tension based on your heart rate in order to get/keep you in the zone. Whereas in manual mode the resistance remains constant. Once you begin to find level 1 too easy, move to level 2 and so on.
  • lynnv
    Options
    I have the same problem - it is a machine that makes me feel very very uncoordinated. A friend at the gym suggested I try the rear drive cross trainer. It has similar motion but is definitely easier to master. I am still working up to giving the elliptical another try.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like to do the elliptical for 15 minutes, then bike for 15, then do elliptical for 15. This made it much easier for me and i am able to do the elliptical at much more challenging levels.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't do my arms on the elliptical (since I swim) but also b/c it just feels awkward...you could try just holding on and using your legs only at a light resistance until you build up some endurance.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hi Cocoa,

That machine is something else. When I started, I could do tops 3 minutes. The sign said that we were not allowed on more than 30 minutes.

Ha. 30 minutes?

Well, anyway, I went from 3 to 5 then 5 to 7 and slowly up to 30. But you know what? I really feel best staying at 20 to 22. Otherwise, it drains me for the day. I'm sure that when I get the weight off, I'll do more. here's to ya!:drinker:
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello Cocoa,

I'd ask a trainer or gym attendant to help you with the elliptical settings. It's best when you get help setting it right the first time.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm on my way to the gym now and hopefully all of your suggestions will work. Thanks again!
  • _ae_
    _ae_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps me if I set 5 minute goals. Once I get to the first 5 minutes, I realize that I can keep going, and then I just keep repeating that train of thought every 5-10 minutes. I can now do 35+ minutes on the elliptical!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could only do like 2 minutes. Then someone showed me how to keep my strides low then build them up. Now I do 45 minutes 6 days a week.