Dark Chocolate?

Options
So I've always heard numerous things about dark chocolate's benefits and blah blah but I wanted to know what percent of cacao is considered best for daily consumption? Any brand suggestions? (Trader Joe's would be most convenient!) Thanks!

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eat as dark and as unprocessed as you can tolerate.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you can take the straight cocoa beans, you're probably best. I go for 85% dark chocolate. (Only 15% sugars and emulsifiers!) I happen to love greens & blacks, but lindt is okay.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's healthy because it has some antioxidants in it and has stearic acid a decent fat, but there's still better options that will have more of both with less calories. Eat whatever dark you like and just remember not to overdo it.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's 73% w/almonds (they also have w/o almonds). Its organic and awesome also! For the most part I try to eat 80% and above (less sugar). Supermarket brands I recommend are Green and Blacks and Lindt
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I believe 70% and up is good for health.
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm having that one with more than 72% cocoa, no milk and sweetners. It is a very healthy snack 2-3 times/ week
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells packages of small bars (I think there are three in each pack?) that are 72%. They are awesome and just the right size.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate... xD
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lindt 80% cocoa ... the absolutely best
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Righteously Raw brand 83% dark is AWESOME! It's vegan, organic, and low glycemic as well. Not sure if TJ's has it though. Whole Foods and Mother's usually carry it. I eat at least one piece of chocolate every single day (or cacao powder whisked over med heat with a bit of almond milk) and have still lost 26 pounds so it's not hurting weight loss at all....
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Green and Black's burnt toffee - yum!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    The higher the % of cocoa, the lower the sugar.

When all else fails, go for Hershey's Special Dark bars...quite comparable to Ghirardelli
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like 72% ghilridelli dark chocolate, they also have one with almonds & toffee in dark chocolate that is probably the best thing ever... I'm starting to like it super bitter though so next time I will be trying the one up from 72%
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    anything over 70% i've heard

green & black 75% is gorgeous
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just had a Trader Joes 70% dark chocolate bar today. They come in 100-calorie bars, which I find convenient because portion control isn't my best field xP
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lindt 90%. :heart:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just had a Trader Joes 70% dark chocolate bar today. They come in 100-calorie bars, which I find convenient because portion control isn't my best field xP

I buy these too! 1 oz, 100 calories, and hits your sweet spot perfectly!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Lindt 90%. :heart:
    That's what I eat, 1 square a day, only 1g sugar and no cravings for more.
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just buy Hersheys dark chocolate kiss. Usually one does it for me now. Used to be I would eat the whole bag lol, but now I dont crave it like I used too.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Divine Fair Trade 85% Dark Chocolate!