Man this is hard!!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I am trying to take the advice and eat more on the days I work out. I guess my net calories have been pretty low. So I have calculated my dinner and dessert and have my calorie intake up to around 1850 (when I usually stick to 1550 even on days I burn like 700 calories).........I just feel like I'm cheating or like I will start to gain or something. GRRR!!!

And my net calories still aren't quite up to 1200!

I don't know how accurate the elliptical machines are with the calories I've burned. I do enter my weight before starting, which helps. BUT, if the machine says I burned 750, how much should I safely allow myself?

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    I am trying to take the advice and eat more on the days I work out. I guess my net calories have been pretty low. So I have calculated my dinner and dessert and have my calorie intake up to around 1850 (when I usually stick to 1550 even on days I burn like 700 calories).........I just feel like I'm cheating or like I will start to gain or something. GRRR!!!

And my net calories still aren't quite up to 1200!

I don't know how accurate the elliptical machines are with the calories I've burned. I do enter my weight before starting, which helps. BUT, if the machine says I burned 750, how much should I safely allow myself?
  • susanabrooks83
    Options
    I wish I had your problem! I ALWAYS go over my calories. How long do you use the elliptical for? When I use the elliptical I burn about 500 cal/hour, and I usually only use it for about 45 minutes. I would just make sure that you stay at 1200 calories and when you don't reach 1200, cut down a little on the exercise and enjoy a little snack, otherwise you will lose weight too quickly which will be unhealthy.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I am on the elliptical for 55 minutes, level 17. Depending on how fast I move, I burn anywhere from 690-800, averaging around 750 most of the time.
  • marleyjazz
    marleyjazz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Would you consider working out on the elliptical machine would be compared to running? If so just assume that doing 1 mile burns 100 calories.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about feeling like cheating. I even find myself on the exercise machine extra to get that extra snack I want.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    well lol yes that's what I do sometimes too....like today I haven't really exercised today had to take the day off and take my son to the dentist....so I did lots of housework but still need to do something else....and I've had all my cals...and I'm eyeballing some sour cream rice cakes....so I think I'll through on the tape soon LOL

hugs!
    Ali
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Wow. I need to find one of these eliptical machines. 800 calories in 55 minutes?! That sounds insane. I'm not even sure that I believe it. :noway:

Ok nevermind, I guess that makes sense. If I ran for an hour it'd be about the same. But I could never run for an entire hour...
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Wow. I need to find one of these eliptical machines. 800 calories in 55 minutes?! That sounds insane. I'm not even sure that I believe it. :noway:

Ok nevermind, I guess that makes sense. If I ran for an hour it'd be about the same. But I could never run for an entire hour...

It's also because I enter my weight in before I start on the elliptical, and at 195 right now, the calories will probably burn more than if I weighed less.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Tamim...

It still sounds like an awful lot.

An elliptical holds not justice to running on a treadmill, running on a treadmill cannot compete with running outdoors. Nothing like having to pull your own body thru wind resistance and pull your weight up gravity.

That is a tough one to measure... I guess you can base it on your calorie intake and if your losing weight. If your eating the correct amount to the 800 calories, and you are losing, then so be it, its probable correct!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

It's also because I enter my weight in before I start on the elliptical, and at 195 right now, the calories will probably burn more than if I weighed less.

Yep. exactly.

Incidentally, just as a comparison, I find that my HRM is always about 50 calories lower than what the eliptical says. A trainer at my gym said, when using the machines, always deduct 10% from the calories.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Oh Tam, I didn't realize you were eating so few calories. No wonder you're hitting a wall girl! You gotta eat.
    I know when you first started you had a lot higher body fat % and your body could handle a giant deficit. But now that you are so much smaller, you need to feed yourself, you no longer have the fat reserves to keep up a 1000 or 1200 calories deficit. I know you know this stuff already, it's just mind over matter, sometimes you gotta be the boss of your body and tell it what it needs instead of letting it tell you. if you're 195 (I don't know your height so I can't be sure) I imagine your maintenance calories are somewhere around 23 or 2400 right? (at least in that general area) Well, you know what that means if you're only eating 1200 right? I don't think I need to say it, I think you already know.

Let us know if you need anything!:smile:

-Banks
  • TamTastic
    Options

Oh Tam, I didn't realize you were eating so few calories. No wonder you're hitting a wall girl! You gotta eat.
    I know when you first started you had a lot higher body fat % and your body could handle a giant deficit. But now that you are so much smaller, you need to feed yourself, you no longer have the fat reserves to keep up a 1000 or 1200 calories deficit. I know you know this stuff already, it's just mind over matter, sometimes you gotta be the boss of your body and tell it what it needs instead of letting it tell you. if you're 195 (I don't know your height so I can't be sure) I imagine your maintenance calories are somewhere around 23 or 2400 right? (at least in that general area) Well, you know what that means if you're only eating 1200 right? I don't think I need to say it, I think you already know.

Let us know if you need anything!:smile:

-Banks

My height is 5'5". I was losing ok. This past 2 weeks is really the only time I have ever had a maintain for this long. I mean, March sucked but I thought I got over that in the first week of April.

But, these people are making me a little nervous with my exercise calories. I haven't really eaten them and have just stuck to around 1550-1600 calories, even on days I exercise. So, if my elliptical says I burned around 788 after 55 minutes, should I safely say I burned like 600 just so I don't go over?

I did get in like 1800 calories last night instead of 1500, still not quite up to 1200 net but close!

Thanks Banks!
  • niamhb
    niamhb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, haven't noticed a change in my weight the past few weeks, working out 4 times a week for two hours and then walking everywhere I can the days I'm not there...eating alot healthier too, especially since Tuesday when I found this site (its great!)...hoping that soon I'll start noticing a change!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been advised by my trainer that most gym machines are off by anywhere from 10% to 30%. That's why I don't eat all my exercise calories.....Here's an article I found to on the subject:

By Miriam Nelson, Ph.D.

(WebMD) -- You're not alone if you've been wondering about the accuracy of calorie counters that are built into treadmills, stationary bikes and other cardiovascular machines.

Many people who sweat and agonize through the cardiovascular, or "cardio," component of a workout understandably want to pin a magic number to their accomplishment -- often in the form of "calories burned." Of course, the designers and manufacturers of cardiovascular exercise equipment make this very easy, providing you with more details about your workout than you ever dreamed: calories burned, distance traveled, number of flights climbed, just to name a few. But are all of those details reliable?

A not-so-straightforward answer

For fitness-center personnel who regularly confront this question, the answer is somewhere between "Yes" and "No." Within each piece of equipment is a computer that uses standard formulas to calculate the number of calories you're expending. The accuracy of the formulas depends on the type and brand of equipment, but all are far from perfect. Weight-bearing equipment, such as a treadmill or elliptical trainer, for example, is probably a little more accurate than non-weight-bearing equipment, such as a stationary bike.

That's because weight-bearing equipment takes your body weight into account when estimating the calories you've burned. The more you weigh, the more calories you burn during a given activity. Regardless, the number of calories the machine indicates that you have burned is not exact, indicating a range of calories you've actually burned. More often than not, the machines will overestimate by as much as 30 percent, though an overestimation of 10 percent to 15 percent is more likely.

The body composition factor

However, what this formula -- and all of the others -- do not account for is body composition. People who have more body fat and less muscle mass per pound will burn considerably fewer calories than those who have more muscle and less fat. For instance, a 130-pound woman with 20 percent body fat will burn calories more effectively than a 130-pound woman with 30 percent body fat.

Speed is important too

Calculations of non-weight-bearing machines are even less precise because they not only overlook body weight and composition, but frequently do not account for your speed. These machines, which include rowing ergometers, only include distance and the time of your workout in calculating calories.

The formula that non-weight-bearing machines use depends on an "average rpm cycling speed," usually 70 rpm (revolutions per minute). So the only variables in the equation are the level of intensity -- meaning the resistance you are pedaling against -- and the time you spent working out. With most stationary bikes you will find that if you ride for 10 minutes at 50 rpm, 70 rpm and then 90 rpm, the number of calories you burned at each of the different speeds are all the same or very close.

To correct for the inaccuracies, try the following tips:

Enter a body weight that is lower than your actual weight.

Try switching machines so your muscles avoid becoming conditioned to one. When you switch between different machines, the change in motion and the muscles you use will force you to work harder, helping you burn more calories.

Add an extra five minutes to your exercise session, but without the assumption that you'll burn more calories.

When using weight-bearing equipment, don't let the handles support your body weight for you -- they are intended to assist with balance only.

Try to concentrate on how hard you're working and sweating rather than on how many calories the machine shows you're burning. When you focus on being consistent and increasing your intensity, you'll be more successful at maintaining a regular exercise routine. This will maximize any cardiovascular and weight-loss benefits you'll achieve.

Miriam E. Nelson, Ph.D., is director of the Center for Physical Fitness at Tufts University. She is author of the international best-sellers "Strong Women Stay Young" and "Strong Women Stay Slim" (Bantam).Copyright 1999 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Better yet, just by a good Heart Rate monitor. Most of the major brand name ones have a deviation of less then 2% (usually lower then 1%), which should be good enough for anyone short of professional runners.