It can be done!

pettmybunny
pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
edited September 20 in Success Stories
So, we just got back from our vacation yesterday. We were gone for a total of 12 days. 3 days traveling, 2 days in Florida, and 7 days on a Disney cruise. I weighed myself the day before we left, and was 180.5 lbs. I weighed myself this morning, and I was 180.5 lbs.

This includes a meal at McD's at 10 pm on Saturday (we were attempting to drive the 7 hours home after flying into Detroit--didn't quite make it though:laugh: ). I also ate desserts most nights at dinner. I did however not even walk by the dessert buffet at lunch (if I saw the plentitude of deliciousness, I would have had to try something). I never once deprived myself on the ship, I just chose (for the most part) healthier options and quit eating if I was full, even if I left half the food on my plate.

I worked out every morning, except for one on the ship, and a couple of the traveling days. My workouts weren't super strenuous, because I am soooo not used to the heat and humidity! But the workouts made me feel good, and allowed me to be less concerned about eating those desserts every night:laugh:

I'm finally getting it through my head that this IS a lifestyle change and not a diet. I can flex how I eat and enjoy myself without feeling deprived or like I "cheated". I enjoyed getting my sweat on, even while every one else in my family was still sleeping.

Ok, so I didn't lose weight in this (almost) two week period. But, considering that I don't know how the food was prepared (butter, oils, sodium etc), I think I did pretty damn good!

And I'm proud of myself!

Replies

• You have a lot to be proud of! Keep up the good work :happy:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Keep up the good work sweety..way to go to you..Big Upz :happy: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • That's awesome! Gold star for self-control :wink: We have a vacation coming up in December and I am so glad they have a gym in our hotel because I'm really worried about slipping. After reading your story, I'm sure I can do it too. Thanks!
  • pettmybunny
    Here's some pics from the trip...

69567_7199.jpg

69567_113.jpg

69567_7340.jpg

69567_9779.jpg
  • I am very proud of you! In some ways, a cruise is the reason I am here in the first place. I lost 20 some pounds before my wedding. However, we went on a cruise for our honeymoon and I lost all control. I would love to go on a cruise again, but am afraid it would destroy all of my hard work and new found will power. I never imagined I could go on a cruise (or anything all-inclusive) without eating everything in sight, but if you can do it maybe I can too. Thanks for sharing!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Congratulations - it looked like your family had a wonderful trip.
    I waited until after vacation to start tracking the calories again -- I just wasn't able to translate/read labels on food labels not written in English.

Keep up the good work.
  • pettmybunny
    I lost weight for our wedding too, almost 20 lbs as well. Then, went on a honeymoon cruise, and gained 6 or 7 lbs back. Over the next year, gained back the 20 lbs that I had lost, then dropped most of it again over the next year. The past year and a half, I put on almost 50 lbs:noway: :noway: :noway: . And here I am, working it off again.

But yup, if I can do it, anyone can! I am a foodie to the nth degree. Like I said, I never deprived myself of anything. I had escargot floating in butter. Steak a couple of times. Pizza one night at 11:30. Desserts 5 nights out of 7. I just told myself at the buffet for lunch that I didn't need to go by the desserts, because I knew I would be having something yummy with dinner.

One lady I talked to, when I was doing a 4 mile walk on the track around deck 4, said she hadn't even thought of bringing clothes to work out in. I hadn't thought of it on our first cruise either. Just goes to show the learning curve I've gone through.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    :noway: You look GREAT!! Perfect bathing suit for you!!

I am so proud of all you have accomplished thus far! Isnt it wonderful to know we finally "got it" ?!?!

You should get a special MFP award for going on a CRUISE without gaining 10 pounds!!:wink:

000202B2.gif
  • pettmybunny
    Thanks Jeannie! I was sooo disheartened when I was trying on suits for the cruise. Until I tried that one, anyways. That one was a Longitude brand. Made for taller people. I'm not taller, but the little extra room helps with the belly and booty that's still left.

A year ago, I had size 18 swimsuits, this year... Size 12! I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be back in the suits that I had for my honeymoon!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    you look fabulous! and that suit was very flattering! it looks like you all had a great time!! yay for you! i love using the gym on the ship--it's just so convenient. and somehow, for me, when there is sooo much food, i tend to choose better. it's like i tell myself that it'll be there tomorrow or later and i can have it then.
    you had such a great attitude and are sure to continue to complete success with these changes (physical and mental). :drinker:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Sounds like you had a great trip!! I'm SO jealous- I need a vacation! :laugh:

Glad to hear you had a good time, and you're starting to "get it" about the lifestyle change idea
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    (ooops double post somehow :blushing: )
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    That is GREAT!!!!! :bigsmile:
    When me and my husband took our5 day Bahama cruise for our honeymoon, I ate sooooooooo much!!! I ate 3 meals a day plus!!!! I never ate so much!!! I ended up gaining weight so congrats to you!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!:bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    Sounds like you had a great trip!! I'm SO jealous- I need a vacation! :laugh:

Glad to hear you had a good time, and you're starting to "get it" about the lifestyle change idea

LOL... I'm so exhausted, I need a vacation to recover from my vacation! It was fun though, and the kids loved the whole "cruise lifestyle". Of course, they were ordering room service at 3 am, and hitting up all the buffets and food areas all day long.
  • pettmybunny
    When me and my husband took our5 day Bahama cruise for our honeymoon, I ate sooooooooo much!!! I ate 3 meals a day plus!!!! I never ate so much!!! I ended up gaining weight so congrats to you!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!:bigsmile:

Like I said, I gained weight on our first cruise. It really is a mental thing, not to just eat the food because it's available. Or to take too much, because it's a buffet. Or to balance out the rich buttery foods with a salad and fruit for lunch. I didn't worry about it too much, and thought for sure I'd gained weight, but was surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member

Like I said, I gained weight on our first cruise. It really is a mental thing, not to just eat the food because it's available. Or to take too much, because it's a buffet. Or to balance out the rich buttery foods with a salad and fruit for lunch. I didn't worry about it too much, and thought for sure I'd gained weight, but was surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning!

That was our first cruise so I will definately learn from it!!!! I didnt realize how much food they had and the buffets were OMG!!!! Live and learn!!!! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Thanks Jeannie! I was sooo disheartened when I was trying on suits for the cruise. Until I tried that one, anyways. That one was a Longitude brand. Made for taller people. I'm not taller, but the little extra room helps with the belly and booty that's still left.

A year ago, I had size 18 swimsuits, this year... Size 12! I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be back in the suits that I had for my honeymoon!

WOOT for 12s!!!

So glad you had a great time!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    I wanted to add............and bump this thread for Work Weekers!!

I just got off the scale and have lost more weight. My original goal was 25 pounds, which became 30, which became 40....

I am at a healthy weight but would like to lose the excess fat hanging onto my muscles!!:laugh:
    No more free ride fat!!

Oh...my point, sorry..............I just returned from 10 day vacation. I did not log. I ate as I have been trained to and exercise was a part of each day.

I lost weight! With my ups and downs my ticker says .5....but I had gone up 1 pound so actually lost 1.5 pounds while not logging and vacationing!!

Robin..............I think we gots it bay bay!!:drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    So, we just got back from our vacation yesterday. We were gone for a total of 12 days. 3 days traveling, 2 days in Florida, and 7 days on a Disney cruise. I weighed myself the day before we left, and was 180.5 lbs. I weighed myself this morning, and I was 180.5 lbs.

This includes a meal at McD's at 10 pm on Saturday (we were attempting to drive the 7 hours home after flying into Detroit--didn't quite make it though:laugh: ). I also ate desserts most nights at dinner. I did however not even walk by the dessert buffet at lunch (if I saw the plentitude of deliciousness, I would have had to try something). I never once deprived myself on the ship, I just chose (for the most part) healthier options and quit eating if I was full, even if I left half the food on my plate.

I worked out every morning, except for one on the ship, and a couple of the traveling days. My workouts weren't super strenuous, because I am soooo not used to the heat and humidity! But the workouts made me feel good, and allowed me to be less concerned about eating those desserts every night:laugh:

I'm finally getting it through my head that this IS a lifestyle change and not a diet. I can flex how I eat and enjoy myself without feeling deprived or like I "cheated". I enjoyed getting my sweat on, even while every one else in my family was still sleeping.

Ok, so I didn't lose weight in this (almost) two week period. But, considering that I don't know how the food was prepared (butter, oils, sodium etc), I think I did pretty damn good!

And I'm proud of myself!

Robin, you are FAN-freakin-TASTIC!!! :drinker: :glasses:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Wow, congrats!
    We went on a Disney cruise some 5 years ago, and it was the best week of my life.
    You can lose some serious weight just walking up and down the ship, lol. My mom lost two pounds while we were on the cruise (but she never ate much anyway).

But it's great you're learning to control your eating. It's probably one of the hardest things to do.
    Congratulations again, hope you had a fun time!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!