Popcorn...Does it cause belly bulge?

Options
I have always heard bread causes belly bulge and I know it to be true.

I even have the Subway guys gouge out the extra bread when I get a sub.

What about popcorn?

I use white popcorn kernels because I heard it is healthier than yellow popcorn kernels but its still starch, right?

Is eating popcorn like eating bread as far as getting a gut?

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you buy into the idea that in the absence of a hypercaloric intake, that either of these foods automatically contribute to abdominal fat, then why are you eating either? You sound like someone who believes the paleo ideals but doesn't follow them. So, depending on who responds you will get variations of the following two answers:

a) no
    b) yes, and you will die because of it
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you buy into the idea that in the absence of a hypercaloric intake, that either of these foods automatically contribute to abdominal fat, then why are you eating either? You sound like someone who believes the paleo ideals but doesn't follow them. So, depending on who responds you will get variations of the following two answers:

a) no
    b) yes, and you will die because of it

I don't "believe" either one. I'm asking because I really don't know.

Obviously, you don't either, so...
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sigh...No.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    excess calories make fat.........doesn't matter if they are carrots, or candy bars
  • tabulator32
    Options
    excess calories make fat.........doesn't matter if they are carrots, or candy bars

Sure, and I totally agree with you (I'd be scared not to based on your avatar :bigsmile: ) but eating 100 calories of celery and a 100 calories of lard would affect the body in different ways. I figure popcorn is somewhere in between on some scale but not really sure where.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a whole grain full of fibar and they have just come out with a study saying it helps prevent cancer has a lot of anioxidients in it. Go buy an air popper or better yet a presto power pop goes in the microwave and pops the corn really well. Melt 2 tsp. butter and poor on top of the popcorn. A yummy treat the fat in the butter keeps you full and there is a lot of hand to mouth action going on that makes eating popcorn very enjoyable.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    bunnypancake.jpg
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Sure, and I totally agree with you (I'd be scared not to based on your avatar :bigsmile: ) but eating 100 calories of celery and a 100 calories of lard would affect the body in different ways. I figure popcorn is somewhere in between on some scale but not really sure where.
    Sounds like you have made up your mind then.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation.

that being said, I love popcorn.

It has a lot of fiber and given that it doesn't have a load of salt or butter on it, it is a healthy way to satisfy a snack attack. And you get a lot of bang for you buck. A lot of food and not so many calories.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    bunnypancake.jpg

how'd they do that?!
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not cause I love me some air popped popcorn! It's my go to snack when I'm hungry and have few calories to spare. I agree that calories are calories when it comes right down to it, but popcorn is so full of fiber, it can't be all bad. Can it????
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Celery is high in fiber, water, and salt (for a veggie). So if ate 100 calories of celery, you'd feel really full and might have digestive issues from too much fiber if your body isn't used to a lot of fiber. Other than that, you'd digest the 100 calories. If your body needed them for something, it would use them, if it didn't, it would store those calories as fat.

If you ate 100 calories of lard (which by the way, is only like a tablespoon), you probably wouldn't feel too full. Other than that, you'd digest the 100 calories. If your body needed them for something, it would use them, if it didn't, it would store those calories as fat.

So yeah, massive difference there.
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    id just eat plain 100 calorie popcorn..and eat flatbread from subway
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Celery is high in fiber, water, and salt (for a veggie). So if ate 100 calories of celery, you'd feel really full and might have digestive issues from too much fiber if your body isn't used to a lot of fiber. Other than that, you'd digest the 100 calories. If your body needed them for something, it would use them, if it didn't, it would store those calories as fat.

If you ate 100 calories of lard (which by the way, is only like a tablespoon), you probably wouldn't feel too full. Other than that, you'd digest the 100 calories. If your body needed them for something, it would use them, if it didn't, it would store those calories as fat.

but ... but ... but ... things that taste good are bad for you!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    it makes me bulge but only cause my body hates milk product (butter)lol but i just get the 100 cal packs and not worry about it :wink:
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As far as making you get a "gut" or something, my vote would be no...

However, because popcorn is so full of fiber and sort of "rough", it can cause flare ups of certain stomach/intestinal ailments. The one I am specifcally thinking of is diverticulitus (didn't check the spelling, so that's probably wrong). Anyway, flare ups like that can sort of feel/look like bloating. That wouldn't be permanent though.
  • tabulator32
    Options

Sounds like you have made up your mind then.

Again, if I had made up my mind, I wouldn't be asking the question.

:indifferent:
  • tabulator32
    Options

Thank you!

That makes sense.
  • tabulator32
    Options
    Popcorn is a whole grain full of fibar and they have just come out with a study saying it helps prevent cancer has a lot of anioxidients in it. Go buy an air popper or better yet a presto power pop goes in the microwave and pops the corn really well. Melt 2 tsp. butter and poor on top of the popcorn. A yummy treat the fat in the butter keeps you full and there is a lot of hand to mouth action going on that makes eating popcorn very enjoyable.

I have an air popper and I love it!

So much, in fact, I could probably eat it every night for a snack with a movie.

If I did that, would it be like eating several slices of bread? If it were, then I would want to avoid it.

Thanks for the info!

:smile:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Popcorn makes me bloated and gives me the craps, so yea for me it causes belly bulge. Till I go to the bathroom then I am better.